MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Living in an RV

While on Spring Break, we were talking to someone who lives in an RV and was parked down there during the Texas ice storm.  The park they were staying at lost power, and the temps were down to 20F.  Luckily, this guy had a generator, and they ended up with 3 RVs plugged into it to keep warm!

If you were going to live in an RV, where space is VERY limited, what would you keep on hand in the way of preps?

• Like 1

We just sold our 35ft puma towable.  I can tell you that if I had to live in it, the first thing I'd have done is gut all the heavy wooden built in shelving and replace it with lighter weight racks that don't waste half the space so it can look nice and catch while traveling.  Plastic bins and bungee cords actually work better and literally store twice as much.  

• Like 4

We traveled a month once in our old 27 ? foot motorhome and somewhere around here is a long, fun, but informative thread about it.  I'll see if I can find it and bump it up.  It's amazing what can be prepped in an RV. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mother said:

We traveled a month once in our old 27 ? foot motorhome and somewhere around here is a long, fun, but informative thread about it.  I'll see if I can find it and bump it up.  It's amazing what can be prepped in an RV. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

We lived in either an RV or travel trailer for 10 years. I learned how to pressure can in a 21 foot travel trailer. Also bought groceries only on sale. Just like I do now. I found room. 

• Like 3

More info please, Miki.   We can all learn from someone who's been there done that.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mother said:

I BELIEVE this is the thread I was thinking of but be aware it's long as a lot of people weighed in on it.  Hope it helps. 

https://www.mrssurvival.com/topic/20504-motor-home-living-if-the-shtf/

I think I read to about the third page before my eyes started crossing (too long on the computer today).

By the way, the links for the dehydrated water seem to be broken.  Anybody got a new one? :laughkick:

• Haha 2

Yeah, there are a lot of broken links on the older posts and I DID warn you they were LONG.  That one was especially informative but fun.  I believe at one point there was a suggestion that we pull a small barn (for the goats and chickens you know) on a trailer behind the RV, complete with picture.  Shades of the Beverly Hillbillies. :laughkick:

(I won't tell you that I actually considered it and what DH said about it :happy0203:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

"Danny shows how to dehydrate water and can it safely. It will last for at least 25 years depending on the life of the lid. He tells how to dehydrate, how to can and vaccum seal and then how to rehydrate the dehydrated water. He tells the uses for it after rehydration. Danny even drinks the rehydrated water so you know it is safe.

April Fool's"

:D

• Haha 2
On 4/12/2021 at 6:45 PM, Mother said:

More info please, Miki.   We can all learn from someone who's been there done that.  

I'm thinking I may have more info in the old thread. Will check tomorrow when I am on the lap top. 

• Like 3

Even I am rereading that thread, The CG.  I believe it has a lot of information that might even benefit the Apartment Homesteading thread that I'm working on over in The Urban Forum area.  With what Miki comes up with for us here we should have a real good idea of prepping 'small'. 

I have been going through a LOT of back threads lately and I have to tell you, there's some realllllllllly GOOD ones stored in here.  We do tend to wander into the ridiculous sometimes but then some subjects are just too tough to take without a bit of humor.  Bless the Mrs. S  'can do' attitude.   

• Like 1