MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Extended Chicken Run

I thought something like this looked like a good idea. Even if you had a run area built on to their coop, with this they could do a little more exploring on their own and not feel like they are right on top of each other all the time. Maybe have a door on the coop end so you could keep them safer when you want them in their house. It would be nice to sit out in the yard and watch them without worrying about preditors. I'd put some sort of screen wire on all four sides. Scatter some seeds in it for them. 

It would probably be good for a smaller yard too since it isn't one big square patch. 

Chicken Run.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

That is what I call a chicken mote. I think it is a great idea to have around the garden. That way the chickens can eat the bugs before they get to the garden 😊

Edited by mommato3boys
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My last hen died, before MIL went home.  We didn’t tell her because, while she was here, 3 of her friends passed.  Since I’ve been home, I cleaned the upper area of the coop, put in a plastic floor, and am storing my gardening & canning supplies in it.  Will clean the ground level, level it and place tiles down, so I can use it as a tool shed for all my gardening rakes, shovels, pots, etc.  

That hen run is an excellent idea.  Not going to get any more chicks for a while.  I’ve got some important stuff I need to take care of before dealing with more chickens.  :sigh:  However, I will definitely keep it in mind if I decide to get more..  Thanks Jeepers!

• Like 3

I'm sorry about your hen.  :sigh:

And about your MIL too. Three friends passing would be quite a blow. I don't blame you for not telling her.  :(

I don't have any chickens and never have. But someday I might so I saved the picture so I don't forget about it. Just incase. 

• Like 2

I don't blame you for not telling your MIL about the friends. That could very well set her back also, and you don't want that to happen.  

I know when I found out right after Dh passed that I lost 2 aunts and 2 cousins, that was just another blow to me. I think that is also one of the reasons i have had such a hard time of it.  Though it has been harder with loosing Dh, I was close to my aunts and cousins as well. 

If I decide to stay here and not move out to where my DD lives, I just might go ahead and get some chickens, but no more than 3 or 4 to start. I will have to fence in the back yard because of people letting their dogs run loose and the cat across street as it is won't stay out of my garden. I do have the sonic sensors going and that is helping to keep cat out and not using it for a bathroom. I don't need that in my tomato plants.

• Like 2