MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Shortage of canning supplies in the stores

Are any of you seeing a shortage of canning supplies this year? DH wanted wide mouth canning jars last week at Walmart, while he shopped I went to grab him a case. I was surprised to see the shelves empty. I had thought by this time, the shelves would be well stocked. 

Luckily, Dollar General had a good supply of canning jars for this year. 

• Like 2

Most places have been out for about a year now. They are starting to trickle into the stores. I'm seeing some regular mouth pints but still very few quarts. Wide mouth jars are still lagging behind. 

I'm still not seeing any lids yet. They have been out for about eight months now. What is available is mostly from China. Even if the boxes say made in the USA with the flag on the box, they are counterfit. I don't know what the solution for that is. 

• Like 2

I have been seeing hit and miss in some of the grocery stores on both sizes of jars. Canning lids is still a no go. Need to start looking for some on line. I just bought 2 cases of pint jars the other day. With canning season starting up for me now, I am going ahead and buying jars when I can find them. Don't want to be in that situation again where I can't find them when I need them. I now use more pints than quarts with it only being me now. But I still use quarts for some things.

• Like 2

All I am seeing is jelly jars and some pint jars with regular size lids. No quart jars any where. Really don't want the pint jars unless they are wide lid but I may have to go with what I can find.

• Like 3

Two weeks ago I saw two cases of regular quart jars at Meijers. I bought one. I probably should have bought both of them. I only use them for tomatoes.

I'm with you Littlesister. Living alone I use nearly all pints or half pints. 

I remember last Nov.- Dec. Ball said they were out of lids but should be stocked back this March. Here it is almost July and still no lids yet. 

• Like 2

Last night I was looking on line for canning lids. found a place called Niceedeal-official.  I placed an order for both wide mouth and small mouth lids.  Price was not bad. Got 144 of each.  I went on line to Leman's and all they had was the tattler. So I also ordered some more of those. So I hope to be covered both ways. Don't want to run out of lids in the middle of canning season.  Ran out of pint jars last year. That was bad enough.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I posted this site a little while ago and they have supplies. If you keep

checking they consistently update their inventory. I bought a lot from them and they are the real thing. I had bought off Amazon and it ended up being fake lids that didn’t seal. 

Ball, Kerr, Golden Harvest is the USA labels. Bernardin is the Canadian label, all made by the same company. 

https://masonjarmerchant.com/pages/canning 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Darlene that is a great site. I have used the Bernardin lids before with no issues at all. They are as good or better than the ball lids. I got the canning lids from niceeedeal and they seemed to be fine. Haven't tried them yet. There are no markings on them to state they are ball lids like they said. But will see. I have bought ball lids before with no markings and they worked well. 

• 3 weeks later...

My Winco is well supplied now. If anyone needs lids I will pick them up for you and send them USPS priority mail _ if it fits, it ships for one low price. ;)

You will have to send me the $ for the lids and the postage, but I can probably get 6 of each and not feel like I'm shorting the local canning community in the process. 

Send me a message through MrsS and I will let you know how much it will cost.