MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can we be DONE with historic weather events please?

Seriously though!!

This past weekend was BRUTAL. Those of you that live where it regularly gets over 100*, I don't know how you do it but you have all of my respect and sympathy!!

We had highs from 107 (that was the "cool" day) to 119* and lows from 75-85 for several days. (to put that in perspective, our HIGHS are usually 75-85 in June...) Pavement literally buckled, cable car cables melted. The death toll is still being figured but it's pushing 80 last I heard.

Just north of us, Salem Or apparently had the highest temperature in the US on Monday at 119.

Somewhere in British Columbia Canada logged a high of 121. :0327:

Our infrastructure out here is not designed for that sort of heat. Most homes out here have neither basements nor a/c. Every store was sold out of ice the first day of the "heat dome" and stayed that way the entire time. Grocery stores were covering their cold foods sections (you know the refrigerated areas that aren't behind doors) with plastic sheeting to try and keep food cold without killing their compressors. 

We ran our little window a/c nonstop, and our house stayed at a tolerable 80-85. Other than that and the ceiling fans, though, we used as little electricity as possible because everyone was terrified that the power grid would go down. 

We lost a sheep and all of the rabbits, despite moving them into shade and keeping fresh water in front of them at all times. :(

How do you people who live in the South DO it?? 

Please pray for rain for the PNW again. I do not want to face another fire season like last year. 

• Sad 7

:hi: Babysteps.  :pray::pray::pray:

Yes, the heat is brutal.  Unbearable.  Life threatening, and unimaginable.  I lost all my chickens, when it crested over 105°F.  My vehicle said 128° the other day!

Without some type of AC, it is un-survivable.  I don’t want to imagine, what it is like with the humidity you have up there.

We topped 118° already this year, forecast for later, over 125° again.  Praising God, we were able to replace our 20 year old AC.  You could not survive, maybe, in those temps, for weeks on end, around here, without AC.  I still admire our ancestors for being able to do it….

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Oh…remembering….

I would put a few sheets, over & around their enclosure and put the hose on a slow drip, to give them an evaporative cooler type system.  During our 115+ days, I would spray their sheets, soak the ground, and put the drip back on the sheets, several times a day.    

• Like 4

AC helps, but there are people who live without it and ways around it.  You have to dress for it.  High humidity or low humidity also matters on how you choose to deal with it.   Sleep during the afternoon in the shade.  Use a lot of evaporative cooling, dress either in little for high humidity or layers for low humidity.    Wrap around porches are more about shading the house than anything else and open opposite windows to allow any breeze to blow through the house.  

• Like 4

Kinda late now but....in southern places they put blocks of ice in the rabbit cages.  Freeze ice in milk cartons.  Poor things are unstable in the heat.  I can relate cuz I am too!  :knary:   Praying that the heat dome will dissipate and you will get your RAIN!  :pray:  Yeah, I hear ya about the historic weather events!!!  

MtRider  ....I gotta email my niece in NE Oregon.  Been meaning to check on her and her clan. 

• Like 2

We had several times of 105-110 for days on a row. I just do everything early...cooking, laundry, etc. open the house in the morning...close it up by 10 am. Keep blinds/curtains closed. Heavy on the mulch in my garden...although I still had some tomatoes with sun scald and lost most of my nasturtiums. Make sure you and animals stay well hydrated. Sorry to hear about your rabbits.

• Sad 4

It's over for us, thankfully!! We did have water-bottle ice blocks in the rabbit cages but it just wasn't enough. There wasn't really any opening the house to cool it off, because it never cooled off at night. Our lows for a couple nights in a row were 80ish at 3am. By 8am it was 90 and by 9:30am it was 100*. 

It was just ugly and I'm so thankful that it's over. And as the heat moves east, keep the folks in Idaho, Montana, N and S Dakota, etc, in your prayers. 

• Sad 3

Even with ice?  The poor bunnies. But what else can one do??  :(    How many people were badly affected too?  I'd have to sit in a tub of water for those days!  On bad humid days when I was a kid in Iowa...on the farm, I'd fill a camping air mattress with a hose from the well.  Under a big shade tree and lay on that. :knary:    Glad to hear it finally broke for you, Babysteps.  

Dogmom...do you regularly get that kind of heat in this season or is it extreme for you too?  Do you have any wildfires around you? 

Stay safe, friends!

MtRider  :pray:  

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

We’ve always had a few days of it over the summer. Over the past five years or so it seems like more.  It’s already started creeping up again. Starting this Thursday and going until Monday we’re supposed to have temps between 102 and 109. I’m not looking forward to that.

Wildfires have started popping up...just not super close to us. I’m so glad about that. 

Edited by dogmom4
  • Like 2

I'm so sorry you lost animals Babysteps. That really had to compound the stress. :yar:

The weather in northern Ohio has been the opposite. Much cooler than normal for July. I've been hearing about the rest of the country and it really saddens me. Dogmom, that's the way my grandma used to do things in the summer. She was an early riser and had all of her chores done by around 9 o'clock including laundry. She and my grandpa ate their main meal at noon and their lite meal around 5:00-6:00 when my grandpa came home from work. It was usually sandwiches or salads or leftovers from the noon meal. Her blinds or curtains were always closed during the heat of the day too. A fan followed her around.

My grandma always wore cotton house dresses too. They used to be called "shifts" back then. Sort of like a sleeveless night gown. They are cooler than even a tank top and shorts. Non-restricting and plenty of air flow. I wear those in the summer when I can food for the same reason.  

None of us had air conditioning back in the 50's-60's. We didn't even know anyone who did. I don't remember the heat ever bothering me. I don't think I even noticed it in southern Indiana. Something has changed. Either in the atmosphere or my age. Probably the latter. I can't take any heat now. 

This will sound strange but washing your feet will really help. Even if they are already clean. I can be having problems sleeping in the summer and get up and wash my feet and fall off to sleep. It just makes you feel good and fresh. 

They want us to conserve electricity or else they will do it for us with black outs. Or shut off our smart meters they installed in our homes. Yet they want us to drive electric cars. Where do they suppose electricity comes from. A dried up lake bed. Surely not from evil coal. Wind turbines, not in my back yard. They had better hurry up and get those nuke plants fired up and running. 

One year they wanted us to conserve water. Uh, our water comes from Lake Erie. It's pretty full and has been. But like little   :sheeple: we did. The very next year they raised our water bill because we used less water and they lost revenue. Guess who had to make it up? :hi:

• Like 3

My granddaughter in CA said it was going to get up to 122 degrees last weekend. Her house is at 95 to 100 as she said she gets some protection from being in the foothills on the wet side of the valley. but that is still hot. I can't stand 90 degrees, so can't even think of how those hotter degrees are like. 

Babysteps, so sorry to hear about loosing your animals in this heat. Guess will have to come up with some clever ways to protect them from all this heat and that will not be an easy thing to figure out. 

Would love to send rain to those states in need of it. We are about to get a down pour tomorrow and Friday from Elsa. Florida is taken a pounding. One dead and a tornado touched down and did some really bad damage. 

• Sad 2

Haven't heard from granddaughter in Gilroy CA, but said that she is in valley where she is a bit protected from the higher temps. But still will be in high nineties.

Right now we are under a tornado watch. Cable TV is already out. But I have a small TV that pulls local stations from air. So can still keep an eye on weather conditions as well as with the emergency radios.  We have had rain off and on and the storm is now in N.C. and heading our way. Franklin is now under tornado warning. Not that far from us.

• Sad 1

High was 102 today but they’re predicting 111 for Saturday and Sunday. It can be tolerable if it cools down at night but I’m thinking it won’t.

• Sad 3

Oye....y'all in CA and AZ....  I'll take the CO Monsoon season any time!  We've been getting some POUR DOWN rains ....fortunately they don't last long or all the mountains would come eroding down to fill the valleys.  CO would be as flat as Kansas right quick!  :lol:  We've already had some boulders rolling down from an old burn scar somewhere....hit some cars but don't think there were injuries. 

:pray: for those in danger, troubles and stress due to Elsa.  That was a mighty damaging Tropical Storm.  :(  It's on up towards NY by this time of night...midnight mountain time.  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Made it through Elsa here. Lots of rain and high winds. There was a tornado touchdown in the downtown area of Suffolk, but not much damage. They kept saying we are on tornado watch and then was in the warning box, but nothing happened. :pray: answered for being safe through the storm. Haven't heard anything about the other states other than Florida in which case one person died from a tree falling on 2 cars. And I think Georgia got it bad as well. Other than that I haven't heard much about the other states.

• Like 1