MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Alcohol And Peroxide

While organizing some med stuff I noticed my alcohol and peroxide bottles were puffy.  I was surprised by the alcohol bottles. Peroxide can be fizzy so I sort of took that into consideration. None of the bottles have been opened. To be honest I was a little afraid to open the peroxide. It was pretty swollen. 

Does rubbing alcohol and peroxide go bad? They are in Indiana so I can't check the dates. But something is definitely off. So instead of buying two 32 oz. size bottles of alcohol I bought four 16 oz. size bottles to replace them. My thinking is if they go bad they won't all go bad at once. Hopefully.

The peroxide is another story. I can't find any 16 oz. bottles locally. I went on line but the 16 oz. bottle was more expensive than the 32 oz. size. Unless you wanted to buy in bulk. I only want four 16 oz. size in case they go bad again. If they did indeed go bad. Seems like if it went bad it would lose it's fizzle and go flat, not swell up.  :shrug:

I've noticed peroxide bottles always seem thicker than alcohol bottles. Expansion issues?

Questions:

1.  Does rubbing alcohol go bad causing the bottle to poof out?

2. Does peroxide go bad causing the bottle to poof out?

3. How about peroxide in the spray bottle. Will it last as long? Would be easier to use for sure. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Everything I can find on both suggests that they simply go "flat" and less effective from age or exposure to the air. Rubbing alcohol apparently has a tendency to expand but only when heated. How warm is it in your area?

Interestingly, the only note on peroxide is that if it doesn't "fizz" at contact with a cut, it's no longer peroxide and is now just water. 

Now I'm really curious as to what is going on with your bottles!! 

• Like 4

Jeepers,  I recently had a swollen-looking peroxide bottle, too.   I had used some out of it already.   It was about half full when I (very carefully, turned away from me) opened it.  The peroxide was fine (I soak our toothbrush holder in peroxide to clean it), foamed/fizzed and cleaned the toothbrush holder as usual.  I wonder if it was the bottle and not the peroxide, if that makes sense.  

• Like 4

Thanks ladies. Wish I had the bottles here with me. I was surprised at the alcohol bottle. Nothing in it should make it get it big, The peroxide bottle is down right swollen. So much so that I removed it from the closet and sat it in the kitchen sink for fear of it leaking. 

None of the bottles have ever been opened and they have always been stored in the house in a closet with heat and air conditioning. Two bottles of alcohol and two bottles of peroxide. All puffy.

I suppose it could be the bottles themselves but the peroxide bottles are thicker and brown. The alcohol bottles are thinner and clear. I have noticed a lot less peroxide on the store shelves than alcohol. Might be just my imagination because I'm looking for it.  But definitely can't find the 16 oz. pour size bottles of peroxide. 

The next time I'm over there I'll pour some on a toothbrush to see if it fizzes. And check the dates. 

I suppose along with bleach we need to be aware that peroxide and maybe alcohol expires too. :shrug:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I checked the peroxide bottle this week. It's still very swollen but it doesn't expire until 2022. I forgot to pour it over my toothbrush to see if it still fizzes. I still have it and will try to remember the next time I'm over there.

• Like 1

I have had that same problem. Had 2 unopened bottles of alcohol that did that. I was afraid they would burst, so I opened them and they seemed fine. But to be on safe side I poured it into a large canning jar and put the plastic lid on it. Still good. I have also had that happen with peroxide as well. But not as bad as the alcohol was.

:scratchhead: 

Tried to Duck Duck "swollen bottles"  but only found our own MrsS thread   :unsure: 

This is about expiration dates, etc.

https://www.healthtap.com/questions/1475003-will-expired-rubbing-alcohol-or-peroxide-become-less-effective/

This is about disposal of rubbing alcohol:

https://www.wikihow.com/Dispose-of-Rubbing-Alcohol

MtRider  .....YMMV  

I didn't realize alcohol was so dangerous to get rid of! My first thought was to thow it on a cold fire pit and use it as a fire starter a few weeks later. I  guess not. I'm going to be very careful what goes down the drains because of the septic system. I'm even thinking about getting rid of all of my stash of Dial antibacterial bath soap. Cheaper to rebuy soap than to repair a septic tank. Hope I don't have issues with the toilet bowl cleaner I've been using. I checked my Dawn dish wash liquid to make sure it isn't the kind with bleach in it. Got lucky there.  I have a lot to learn about country livin'

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jeepers said:

I didn't realize alcohol was so dangerous to get rid of! My first thought was to throw it on a cold fire pit and use it as a fire starter a few weeks later. I  guess not. I'm going to be very careful what goes down the drains because of the septic system. I'm even thinking about getting rid of all of my stash of Dial antibacterial liquid bath soap. Cheaper to rebuy soap than to repair a septic tank. Hope I don't have issues with the toilet bowl cleaner I've been using. I checked my Dawn dish wash liquid to make sure it isn't the kind with bleach in it. Got lucky there.  I have a lot to learn about country livin'

Dang it. It posted too soon again. Anyway, I rarely use alcohol any more. I think the last time was to soak a pair of pierced earrings years ago. I got some small bottles of peroxide and of alcohol. I got 4 of each and that's all I'm going to keep. Same with bleach. I got 4 of those little bottles at the Dollar Tree and that's all I'm going to store away. 

BTW, none of the alcohol or peroxide bottles were open. So they were bulging before the 2022 expiration date. 

• Like 1

My alcohol so far is still good. Not quite a year old yet. But I just didn't trust the swollen bottles. That is good info on getting rid of old alcohol and peroxide. I don't store much of it anyway. But I do use a lot of alcohol as being diabetic, I wipe my finger before I check my numbers. Have to prick the finger. No fun, but must be done. 

The info on how long they last is great as well. 

• Like 1