MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi everyone! Hubby and I are on the lookout for a new wood cook stove. Do any of you have one/use one? Any suggestions? We would like to get installed before winter. We had -17°F last Feb, but thankfully never lost electricity. If we did, it would have been disastrous!! 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So....we did it. We bit the bullet and we got the stove, it's on the way!! We are discussing what to put around it, what we need to get ready for it....I think things will be full crazy by October at some point, and we'd like to have it set up by then. I'll post pictures once we have it if anyone is interested! :)

• Like 8
59 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

What kind did you get?  I'd like to see pics, for sure. 

MtRider  :cook: 

We got a La Nordica Milly Wood Cook Stove. It has an oven and a warming oven. Thank you for asking....I'm so excited!!

Wood Burning Cook Stove La Nordica "Milly"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Joyfilled said:

We got a La Nordica Milly Wood Cook Stove. It has an oven and a warming oven. Thank you for asking....I'm so excited!!

Wood Burning Cook Stove La Nordica "Milly"

That's not our stove yet, just a stock photo. ^_^

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mt_Rider said:

:hapydancsmil:  It's PRETTY!  

MtRider  :cook:

I think so too!! I really wanted something practical, of course, but I wanted it old fashioned and pretty. I think this accomplishes both! :)

• Like 4
9 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Congratulations! 

I very much want a cookstove.   There's just not any room for one in our current (small) house.   I've had my eye on those Pioneer Princess cookstoves.   That's why I can't go to Lehmans.   Regardless of not having space (at all), I would want to bring one home with me. 

Haha, I hear ya! I can't go to Lehman's (too far), but hubby and I would most likely blow any budget we would have if we went there! Pioneer Princess are niiiiice! :)

• Like 5
  • 4 months later...

So....our stove is up and running!! It's been a mild winter, so we haven't had a ton of need of it, and that coupled with DH not wanting to buy wood....well. But....we LOVE it!! It brings warmth to the house even if it's not running, and I've been able to bake some cookies with it, which was fun! I haven't used the stove top except to heat apple cider and water. But I'm so excited! I love having it, I love using it, and can't wait to learn how to use it more.

Here are pictures from Thanksgiving. Missing is my Mom (passed away on Oct 1), and new face is daughter's boyfriend.

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-18 at 10.49.24 PM(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-19 at 12.23.31 PM(1).jpeg

• Like 7

Love that stove.  Wish I had room for one in my house.  I am getting a wood burning stove, but it is for heat and will be inserted into the fireplace. I told him I would like to have it so I can heat things up on top of it. He said it would have to be set up in a way to do that but can be done. So I will just have to be happy with that.  But at least I can keep things warm on it. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Love that stove.  Wish I had room for one in my house.  I am getting a wood burning stove, but it is for heat and will be inserted into the fireplace. I told him I would like to have it so I can heat things up on top of it. He said it would have to be set up in a way to do that but can be done. So I will just have to be happy with that.  But at least I can keep things warm on it. 

You can cook on it, too! I've done that before, just s simple soup, but hey, a warm meal! 😊👍🏻

• Like 3

That stove is a thing of beauty! Thanks for sharing your pictures. You have a lovely family!  Hubby might as well go get the firewood now. You'll need it sooner rather than later anyway. Plus it will be a lot easier to carry in now than when the snow starts to pile up.  And there could be a shortage later. And the prices will only go up. Are you taking notes? I'm trying to help ya girl.  :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

That stove is a thing of beauty! Thanks for sharing your pictures. You have a lovely family!  Hubby might as well go get the firewood now. You'll need it sooner rather than later anyway. Plus it will be a lot easier to carry in now than when the snow starts to pile up.  And there could be a shortage later. And the prices will only go up. Are you taking notes? I'm trying to help ya girl.  :D

I'm going to read this to him! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've always hankered after a wood stove for cooking.  Nearest I got was an old 1970s Rayburn which was run mainly on coal, but I used wood sometimes.  It was in the house when we bought it, we converted it from oil back to solid fuel - it was the reason we bought the house really.  I made peace with it quickly, and loved it to bits; it was on 24/7 all year round, did all my cooking, bottling (canning), brewing, baking on it, it heated the house and all the hot water; had a Kitchen Maid drying rack over it for laundry and drying dyed wool, herbs etc.  I loved that thing with all my heart, even though the temperature gauge never worked in the whole 17 years I used it.  I just stuck my hand in the oven to see how hot it was lol

I love your pictures :)

• Like 6
1 hour ago, gallovidian said:

I've always hankered after a wood stove for cooking.  Nearest I got was an old 1970s Rayburn which was run mainly on coal, but I used wood sometimes.  It was in the house when we bought it, we converted it from oil back to solid fuel - it was the reason we bought the house really.  I made peace with it quickly, and loved it to bits; it was on 24/7 all year round, did all my cooking, bottling (canning), brewing, baking on it, it heated the house and all the hot water; had a Kitchen Maid drying rack over it for laundry and drying dyed wool, herbs etc.  I loved that thing with all my heart, even though the temperature gauge never worked in the whole 17 years I used it.  I just stuck my hand in the oven to see how hot it was lol

I love your pictures :)

Wow!! That's amazing. I hope to share your story someday. It may be a while before I can on it, but I have baked cookies in it! 😊

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Jeepers said:

He wants you to know that instead of buying wood, he got the chainsaw running and was able to get some wood from an old dead tree and branches from years past :D. He has taught our 10 yo DS to make the fire in the stove, so now he's the one that gets it going in the morning. We have a whole row of wood now and he will get more today, I hope! :hapydancsmil:

• Like 4

Joyfilled, you have a very smart thinking man there.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish he'll eat for a lifetime. 

Or in Mr. Joyfilled's case...

Buy a cord of wood he'll stay warm for a winter. Get that old chain saw working and he'll stay warm for a lifetime. And well fed too! That probably lost something in the translation but you get my drift.  :campfire:

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Joyfilled, you have a very smart thinking man there.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish he'll eat for a lifetime. 

Or in Mr. Joyfilled's case...

Buy a cord of wood he'll stay warm for a winter. Get that old chain saw working and he'll stay warm for a lifetime. And well fed too! That probably lost something in the translation but you get my drift.  :campfire:

He is a smart man....good looking, too! I'm thankful for that, as he comes up with good thoughtful ways to care for us.

And....I wasn't sure if I should have laughed, thanked or loved your response! :lol:

He liked being called Mr. Joyfilled. :ashamed0002:

Edited by Joyfilled
  • Haha 4