MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Long Term Seed Storage article

I do store most of my seeds in the freezer and so far no issues. But have found some that DH must have put on his bench and forgot about. They are from 2019. I am going to try them out next spring to see if they do anything. Not counting on it as the garage gets hot and they were on his bench out there. To late now to plant them. But are stored in freezer now for next year. Just hope they work but not counting on it.

On 7/27/2021 at 3:26 PM, Littlesister said:

I do store most of my seeds in the freezer and so far no issues. But have found some that DH must have put on his bench and forgot about. They are from 2019. I am going to try them out next spring to see if they do anything. Not counting on it as the garage gets hot and they were on his bench out there. To late now to plant them. But are stored in freezer now for next year. Just hope they work but not counting on it.

Place 10 seeds in a wet paper towel. Count how many sprout after a few days. That will give you the percent that's needed to calculate your yield. Parsnips are only 50% even when bought in the same year.    :wave:

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the link OOTO. I'm always confused about how to store seeds. Some say just a paper envelope or vacuum sealed container or in the freezer or all three. In the garage or the house. 

I'm going to whittle the article down in a Word document and print it out.  :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...