MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi! Anyone here ever made rag rugs? I'm interested in making one, maybe one of those braided ones? How hard are they to make? And do they last? Is it worth my time? Do I need to be an expert? So many questions....

The only rag rugs I've made are the ones where you sew strips of material together and then crochet it into an oval. Very easy especially if you already crochet. They make a pretty thick rug. They are very sturdy because there are no seams. The only sewing I did was joining the strips of fabric together. The only pitfall was making sure I added enough 'stitches' at the ends so it would lie flat. I've also made round ones that are even easier to control. Some people use sheets as their fabric strips. They make the project go even faster.

I THINK there is a spray you can use on the back of the finished rug that will make it not slide around as much. Or rubber pieces you can apply to the back of the rug. I made mine in the 1970's and no such products existed back then for crafters.

If you are talking about a braided rug then I don't know. You take strips of fabric and braid a long chain then hand sew the sides of the chain to each other going around and around. That method was over my head back then. I didn't trust my sewing ability to make it sturdy enough to hold it together. 

• Thanks 2

Thank you, Jeepers!! It's encouraging to know that you made them before. I don't crochet, but I can braid a simple braid and can stitch....and so can my Mom, making this a multi-generational project if I can teach my daughters.  I hadn't thought of the sheets! I'll be going to the thrift shop today, so I'll look for some. I take it that bold colors, or at least a variety of colors would be best? I'm excited to start!! :hapydancsmil: Well....after garden season. :bounce::canning:

• Like 1

The braided ones take longer than the crocheted ones.  Crochet is actually pretty easy and you really only need to chain and sc (single crochet) to make it.  Its 99.9%  one stitch all the way around.   I could teach you in about 3 minutes to crochet it.   Also you need no thread to make a crochet one.     

The sewing is a blanket stitch for the braided one.  Basically you coil it and just blanket stitch through the new part as you go around.  

Either way: Longer strips are better.   Cut your material in such a way that it spirals a bit and gives you long strips.  Also, you will be stepping on this rug, use fabrics that you want to put your feet on.   Denim is awesome and pantyhose make the softest thing you can imagine.    There are all sorts of things you can do to make the rug non slip.   The DIY cheap way is to turn it over and run some squiggles of hot glue or caulk where you want it.  Allow to dry thoroughly.   It is hand wash only after you do that though.  

• Thanks 3
On 8/7/2021 at 12:17 PM, euphrasyne said:

The braided ones take longer than the crocheted ones.  Crochet is actually pretty easy and you really only need to chain and sc (single crochet) to make it.  Its 99.9%  one stitch all the way around.   I could teach you in about 3 minutes to crochet it.   Also you need no thread to make a crochet one.     

The sewing is a blanket stitch for the braided one.  Basically you coil it and just blanket stitch through the new part as you go around.  

Either way: Longer strips are better.   Cut your material in such a way that it spirals a bit and gives you long strips.  Also, you will be stepping on this rug, use fabrics that you want to put your feet on.   Denim is awesome and pantyhose make the softest thing you can imagine.    There are all sorts of things you can do to make the rug non slip.   The DIY cheap way is to turn it over and run some squiggles of hot glue or caulk where you want it.  Allow to dry thoroughly.   It is hand wash only after you do that though.  

A lot of great information, thank you!! I know how to knit (think simple, like scarves), so maybe I would pick it up quick. I like the more simple method!

My husband thought of something. We have pets....and as you are aware, I'm sure, they sometimes throw up. I have a weak stomach when it comes to throw up....so he's concerned that I won't be happy for all the work put into it and then the dogs (or cat) throw up on it.

How easy is it to clean with it?

If you don't use the caulk method, you can throw it in the wash  though you will get more life out of it if you line dry it.  If you used different fabrics, they may shrink at different rates and make it puckered.   Wash everything before you cut it up so it is where you want it to be.  If you did use the caulk method (or any method) it can be hand washed in the bathtub and hung over a fence/balcony to dry.    

Easiest tip for crochet/knit:  Whichever you learned first, the second one you will learn the opposite dominant hand method.  If you learned right handed knitting, you will want to learn left handed crochet.  It is because they are basically opposite hand motions for the dominant hand so it is MUCH easier to learn the 2nd one if you change the hand position.  I learned right handed crochet and I could not master knit until someone told me to do it left handed.   Problem solved overnight.  

• Thanks 2

I really think I had responded to this....have no idea where it went! :(

Thank you for all of this, Euphrasyne! So much great information! I had never heard about the learning of knitting first, but it makes sense. Crotchet has always eluded me! Maybe that's why. I'll give it a try again. 

Thank you!! :bighug2:

• Like 1