MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

So....we got bees this year! We got two swarms, but one of them absconded :(. The other one is doing very well! We have three boxes (hives?) and they have about 2.5 of them full. I'm pretty excited, hubby says that it means we should be able to get some honey pretty soon!! If you know anything about bees (we're new at this), feel free to jump in with any thoughts or tips. Thank you! :)

• Like 2

That is very exciting. I wish I knew more about beekeeping. I wish I knew more so I could sell honey at a farmers market. Only so much time to learn new things for me though. I'm living the 'Old dog...New tricks' phase of life too.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Last I heard, she still has bees.  She did a lot of research on how to keep them healthy.

On a couple of occasions, I "helped" with her bees......meaning I stood around and did what she told me.  :lol:   We made bee "candy" to put into the hives to keep them going thru winter.   I took a class LONG ago but haven't had experience other than that.

MtRider  :ph34r:   ...would NOT want to have bee hives here in CO.....BEARS. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Last I heard, she still has bees.  She did a lot of research on how to keep them healthy.

On a couple of occasions, I "helped" with her bees......meaning I stood around and did what she told me.  :lol:   We made bee "candy" to put into the hives to keep them going thru winter.   I took a class LONG ago but haven't had experience other than that.

MtRider  :ph34r:   ...would NOT want to have bee hives here in CO.....BEARS. 

Ohhhh....I'm interested in that bee candy. Any good links you'd suggest? Thank you!! :)

If you want good advice, look for links in YouTube from County Extensions or Universities. Otherwise you will get 150 different answers from 100 different backyard beekeepers. Dar is a good resource too.

We generally keep back around 80 # of honey each year to feed back to the bees. It gets really cold up north and they can eat through the stores very quickly. Since we don't sell the honey, we just let them eat their own honey in the winter. Otherwise, we would make candy boards for them, too.   :bouquet:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, bees are a fascinating creature. Everyone has their unique way of doing things, but I opted to go a more organic and natural route without the aid of pesticides that are supposedly safe for bees that address the mites and other issues can can accompany beekeeping. Many years ago, the Lord crossed my path with a lady out of Michigan who had worked closely with an older man who had raised bees for decades and had discovered this organic, natural way to not only raise bees, but to also increase the amount of hives.

Beekeeping is NOT just about honey, although that is byproduct and blessing of keeping bee hives. There is a preservation aspect to it and a responsibility that is very fulfilling. If you just got the bees in August, there is no way you should extract any honey at this time because the bees will need all they can get to feed themselves over the winter.

Anyway, congratulations on your bees!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Darlene said:

Yes, bees are a fascinating creature. Everyone has their unique way of doing things, but I opted to go a more organic and natural route without the aid of pesticides that are supposedly safe for bees that address the mites and other issues can can accompany beekeeping. Many years ago, the Lord crossed my path with a lady out of Michigan who had worked closely with an older man who had raised bees for decades and had discovered this organic, natural way to not only raise bees, but to also increase the amount of hives.

Beekeeping is NOT just about honey, although that is byproduct and blessing of keeping bee hives. There is a preservation aspect to it and a responsibility that is very fulfilling. If you just got the bees in August, there is no way you should extract any honey at this time because the bees will need all they can get to feed themselves over the winter.

Anyway, congratulations on your bees!

We haven't gotten any yet....but I can't wait!! We got them in May (mother's day!). We have warre hives, and hubby has given them a couple more boxes as the top ones are completely full of honey. One of our hives (we had 2) absconded. That was sad. We used to have bees a few years ago, but not for honey, for pollination. Anyway, they absconded, then came back a while later (or maybe a different swarm? I'm not sure). Anyway, we sure like having them.

Sorry if I'm using all these terms wrong. I'm still learning! ^_^

• Like 2