MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning question

A few years ago, my hubby got me an American (I think it's what it's called) double canner. I can fit 14 quarts in it, and love it! It sure cuts down on time. Well, I'll be canning some peaches this week, but those are not pressure canned. Can I double or even triple half pints in my water bath canner? Is that a bad idea? I'm getting a bunch of peaches this week, so will be making a bunch of stuff....it's also scheduled to be one of the hottest weeks! Want to limit how long I'm canning for as much as possible.

Thanks!! :)

Every video I've ever watched about water bath canning says that you can fit as many or as few jars into a pot that you are able ----------------- as long as you can keep at least one inch (1")of water above the lids of the highest jars at a rolling boil.

ETA: I forgot to mention that you need to have a platform or rack of some kind between the jar layers!

Can two layers of jars be processed in a canner at one time?
Yes. Two layers can be processed at one time, in either the boiling water bath or pressure canner. Place a small wire rack between the layers so water or steam will circulate around each jar. Make certain the water covers the tops of all jars by 1 inch in a boiling water bath canner. The pressure canner should have 2 to 3 inches of water in the bottom.

https://extension.usu.edu/news_sections/home_family_and_food/canning-safety

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a rule you can stack 2 high. Just so there is an inch of boiling water above the top layer of the jars. And use a rack between the layers.

Be aware though that the small jars will easily tip over in the boiling water. That can cause siphoning or cause a jar to not seal. To help prevent this you might want to place some empty jars in the canner to take up some space if you need to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, there's a consensus!! Thank you ladies!! Seems like a waste to not can as many as possible at at time!

Another question....is it okay to water-bath different items that require similar timing, even if I have to extend one of them for a little longer?

Miki is correct.

As long as they are all water bath items and you can the batch for the longest time of any one item in the canner. In other words you can mix and match as long as they are all water bath items and you can for the longest time of any one food item Sheeesh. That is hard to put into words.

The same principle applies to pressure canning. Which ever food takes the longest, that's how long you can. 

BTW. I'm far from a canning expert! I just happen to know some of the answers. And I have learned from many many other men and women on the internet who share their knowledge. As the Alaska Prepper says, 'Reach one, Teach one, Repeat'. Or something like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate it a lot!! Hubby says the only way to learn is to try, so I'm trying. I actually really enjoy it!! 

I'm tired, but it's a good kind of tired. :)

• Like 2