MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Grand Solar Minimum

Hubby has been following a couple of guys for a couple of years now: Ice Age Farmer https://www.iceagefarmer.com/ , and Adapt2030 https://www.oilseedcrops.org/ .

Any of you preparing for a mini ice age? We are, among everything else. They are interesting to listen to, and having been following them for the last couple of years, I can say that what they saw happening is coming true. Crazy weather stuff happening in so many places!!

Just one more thing to keep on the radar....

• Like 1

I read Ice Age Farmer from time to time.  He certainly posted pics and such this past winter.  Many places with record -breaking cold and snow amounts. 

I saw a quote somewhere [can't credit it ] If there is Record Winters and Record Summers....it's not Global Warming.  It's Solar Minimum.  [ relating to number of solar spots ]

I don't understand all the science but it's interesting.  ....and scary.  Living at 9,000' altitude would be good for rising waters but we get BURIED in snow...like our literally TWO FOOT blizzard this past April.  :frozen:   IF solar minimum does happen again, the forests of the Rockies would be burned to keep warm.  Pre-modern people groups did NOT stay up here during winters.  Migrated to lower [warmer] elevations.  A point we've noted before. 

One prep is to migrate to favorable conditions before the crowd notices.

MtRider  :behindsofa:    

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I read Ice Age Farmer from time to time.  He certainly posted pics and such this past winter.  Many places with record -breaking cold and snow amounts. 

I saw a quote somewhere [can't credit it ] If there is Record Winters and Record Summers....it's not Global Warming.  It's Solar Minimum.  [ relating to number of solar spots ]

I don't understand all the science but it's interesting.  ....and scary.  Living at 9,000' altitude would be good for rising waters but we get BURIED in snow...like our literally TWO FOOT blizzard this past April.  :frozen:   IF solar minimum does happen again, the forests of the Rockies would be burned to keep warm.  Pre-modern people groups did NOT stay up here during winters.  Migrated to lower [warmer] elevations.  A point we've noted before. 

One prep is to migrate to favorable conditions before the crowd notices.

MtRider  :behindsofa:    

Migrating back and forth would be tough though, wouldn't it? What will you do with your preps? Leave most? Hard choices, for sure.

We live in a mild climate....sorta. Middle of KS has cold and heat, but for the most part, it can be pretty mild. This summer was pretty mild (mostly 80's and lower 90's), but there were a few weeks (stand alone weeks, mind you) of almost 100 degree weather. And then, of course, there was that week or so in February that was below 0 (not normal for this area, that low, that long). So yes, I know what you mean, what ever you experience now, you'll have more of it later. So....we're preparing for the cold....not sure how much we can prepare for the warmth, so we prepare as we can.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Joyfilled said:

Migrating back and forth would be tough though, wouldn't it? What will you do with your preps? Leave most? Hard choices, for sure.

Well, I was referring to pre-industrial people groups.  They were normally nomadic.  OUR society has tooooo much STUFF!   We have the means to move our stuff now....but if we ever got knocked back to a lessor technological era.....lot of our STUFF wouldn't be useful anyway.  But yeah, if we're living even back in a agricultural era with field crops, you can't really migrate.  If we're knocked back to agri with migrating sheep/goats/dogs/horses  [Mongolian type]  Then migrating is possible.  Follow the new areas for grazing. 

This is just my way to think of potential slides backwards.....  :pray:  it doesn't come to that cuz we modern folk don't know enough to prosper.  We know some....but...not like our ancestors knew it.  What I DO know....from studying this area in the pre-modern times......  If they couldn't or chose not to survive up here during the winter months....NOT likely that we'll be able to do it for very long. 

MtRider  ....pondering

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Well, I was referring to pre-industrial people groups.  They were normally nomadic.  OUR society has tooooo much STUFF!   We have the means to move our stuff now....but if we ever got knocked back to a lessor technological era.....lot of our STUFF wouldn't be useful anyway.  But yeah, if we're living even back in a agricultural era with field crops, you can't really migrate.  If we're knocked back to agri with migrating sheep/goats/dogs/horses  [Mongolian type]  Then migrating is possible.  Follow the new areas for grazing. 

This is just my way to think of potential slides backwards.....  :pray:  it doesn't come to that cuz we modern folk don't know enough to prosper.  We know some....but...not like our ancestors knew it.  What I DO know....from studying this area in the pre-modern times......  If they couldn't or chose not to survive up here during the winter months....NOT likely that we'll be able to do it for very long. 

MtRider  ....pondering

Well, that makes a lot more sense. :lol:

We're pondering, too....lots to think about. I feel like we're missing something, but I can't quite put a finger on it. We're pretty prepared if it turns cold, but, well, I dunno. Something to keep thinking about....

• Like 2