MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are these?

Dee

In the middle of the summer I noticed what looked like butternut squash growing.  They're in our creek pasture in a brush pile.  I have not planted squash since we've lived here, 4 years now, and we have no close neighbors.  The brush pile is tree branches, etc.  No food.squash creek pasture 21.jpg

Now the vines have frosted and here's a picture of how many there are.  We like squash, but not that crazy about it.  I feel as though, perhaps, God has blessed us with this abundance of food and I don't want to waste it.  We have no basement or garage so, go ahead and laugh :D, I'm going to put them in the huge bathtub off the master bedroom.  I truthfully doubt the tub is big enough.

They're green with some orange.  Similar to an acorn in coloring.  They're the size of a smaller watermelon.  Inside they're orange like an acorn and taste like an acorn.

Any ideas on what they might actually be?

TIA

• Like 4

Here's a page of images (Google search) of all kinds of squash. Maybe you can find what you have. If you can't find it, perhaps what you have been blessed with is a hybrid of some sort?

https://www.google.com/search?q=squash&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS936US936&sxsrf=AOaemvJc-0Kn5LiqRl0yYGffBalRH3AjSg:1634932599086&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwiF3rLG5t7zAhWuppUCHd5WBZEQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1600&bih=658&dpr=1#imgrc=eMKvf1GFWnvdQM

• Like 2

Thanks Midnightmom  I can't find any that looks like mine.

Thanks to you too Annarachy.  These look similar but mine don't have stripes and the leaves are different.

We're thinking the Canadian geese brought the seed in since it looks like way more that one plant out there.  Who knows where those geese have been. :faint3:squash leaf.jpg 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have an app that ID’s leaves & fruit.  The pic of the ‘fruit’ isn’t clear enough to ID.  But that leaf keeps coming up as a variety of winter squash, related to the pumpkin.  IDK…. I will keep looking… I’m very curious… and curiosity killed the cat….:008Laughing:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

What I've seen it sounds like a winter squash to me too Annarchy.  Like you, it's the curiosity that's making me search....but haven't found it.  I hope you do.  It would be nice to know.

We picked and brought them in yesterday since a hard frost was coming last night.  We got 45 or 46 and I have them sitting on an oil cloth, cloth side up, in the dining room to dry.  Once I make sure they'll stay good I'll cart them to the back of the house to my bathtub.

We left quite a few out there tangled among the branches, etc.  Ten years ago we'd have climbed right in to get them.  Now, it's better to leave them than break a leg. LOL

Thanks again!

• Like 4

Dee, from the picture it is hard to tell for sure. but does look like a winter squash. Can't tell if they are starting to turn as the ends are a yellowish orange color. Or if they are just turning a dark green. But from the picture it looks like it could be one of several. I can't get pictures to come over, but you can look up these verities to see if one looks like it. Also cutting one in half to see how it is inside might help to identify it as well.  But it is a squash/pumpkin. 

Green egg summer squash. this one not sure of. 

Pink banana jumbo squash

spaghetti squash.  Would need to cut one in half to establish that. 

Honey nut squash

Vermuelle squash

From the picture of the leaf, it looks like it is in the butternut squash catagory.

My best guess is the spaghetti squash. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Littlesister said:

My best guess is the spaghetti squash. 

Ooooh! I hope that's what they are. Aside from pumpkin, Spaghetti Squash is the most versatile of all of the varieties - IMO. :yum3:

I hope you have a dehydrator @Dee. You can create the spaghetti strands and dry them of future use, or cut into chunks and freeze them. Most squash doesn't can well, but if you do decide to go that route you will have to process it as chunks and not puree. :canning:

Do you have any animals that you could feed with these? Pigs, chickens, etc? Perhaps you have a neighbor with some animals that could use some of your overage?

Anyway, I hope you find out what they are. 

• Like 1

Littlesister, when I first noticed them I thought they were butternut.  Looked like them but solid green.  Than in a month or so they were more watermelon shaped and by fall they were green and orange like acorn.  The inside is the color of acorn and they taste like acorn.

Jeepers, I thought of Canadian geese since we have tons of them off and on all spring and summer in our creek pasture.  As big as the seed is it seems like it would need to be a good sized bird.

Midnightmom, the extension office thought they were spaghetti squash too but they aren't.  Nope, we no longer have animals of any kind.  When we were picking them to bring in yesterday evening some friends of ours stopped to see what we were doing.  They took a couple and she sent a text this morning saying they'd eaten one last night and it was delicious and tasted like acorn.  I told her to stop for more, and she said she would.

I'll addsquash dining room.jpg a picture of them on my dining room floor so you can see what they look like closer up.

• Like 2

Now that I see a close up of them. It is Acorn squash. Though when I checked the chart on identifying them. they had deeper ridges than yours. So could be that they where a little overgrown. But either way, you have hit the jackpot. If you like I will send you my canning instructions from my ball blue book on canning them.

• Like 1

Thanks Littlesister.  Do you really think they're acorn when they're this size and shapesquash and acorn.jpg?  Look at the difference in them in this picture.

Thanks for the offer of your recipe but I have a Ball Bluebook too and just might start canning some of these at the first of the week.  

• Like 1

The smaller ones are just like the ones I looked at in the pictures of different squash. The bigger ones are the ones that should have been picked sooner.  Those deep ridges in the smaller ones are what they look like when ready to pick. You definitely have acorn squash.

As for spaghetti squash, I've only seen that in a butter yellow color....totally yellow.  But they have about the shape of your large ones without the usual ridges that I associate with acorn squash.  Wonder why some have acorn squash-like ridges and the bigger ones don't?  :scratchhead: 

MtRider  :lois:   What a blessing tho!  Hire those geese! 

• Like 1

Mt. Rider the bigger ones are older. They where picked or in Dee's case discovered to late for proper picking, but they are still good. Defintely Acorn squash.  i first thought spaghetti squash because the first pictures were hard to tell. And there are green spaghetti squash shown on the identity chart for the different squash.

I cooked one of the squash and made squash soup for dinner.  I added a couple slices of buttered raisin cinnamon toast to go with it and a pumpkin bar.  I loved it.  DH not so much.  He's not much for squash BUT he did say if things go south and we need these squash it's decent.  High compliment from him on a squash dish! :cheer:  I'd never made squash soup.  This is a recipe I found on the internet.  I will search for another and another but will wait a couple of weeks in between times.  No use having DH say I'm done, never again. :happy0203:

If anyone has a squash soup recipe they'd like to share I'd love giving it a try.  Please, not a recipe that takes hours and ingredients I don't have on hand.  I'm a quick and easy kind of cook. 

Thanks!

squash soup.jpg

• Like 3

Squash Soup

3 T evoo

3 med onions

3lb squash peeled and cubed

2 t salt and pepper

1 t cumin

3 sprigs thyme

3 to 6c broth

Chop and cook onions over medium heat in oil.   Cover, reduce heat to low cook 15m.  Add squash, salt, pepper, cumin, thyme.  Cover cook 15m.  Add broth and bring to a boil.  Simmer 30m.   Puree all, heat through and serve.  I like to add a dollop of cream and a  few crotons to serve.    The cumin is what makes it.  I usually use butternut but any winter squash will work.    Freezes well.   Recipe is easy to make bigger or smaller, amounts are all adjustable to taste.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3