MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gaze into Chrystal Ball - what shortages coming?

Yeah.....by that I mean....how does anyone really know what's going to be listed for shortage or raised prices next?  This article contains more guesses...I guess...  :rolleyes:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/these-food-items-more-costly-2022

and

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/pet-food-shortage-waking-nightmare

MtRider  ....just keep shopping as we all do.... to keep WAY ahead ...  :shopping:  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When we were living in Ukraine, the village folk laughed when we talked about bagged 'dog food'. My first trip into Kiev with the doctor, who we were living with, was a rude awakening. When we got to the meat section in the large grocery store she told me to hold the plastic bag open while she swooped down and grabbed a bunch of chicken heads and feet and stuffed them in the bag. If I hadn't grown up with a bunch of bratty brothers, I probably would have barfed into the same bag.   :24:

When we got back to her house she tossed all the chicken parts into a huge pot along with several bags of grains. I do remember the buckwheat berries as being one. Several hours later, she cooled down the 'dog food' and packaged it up and tossed it into the refrigerator for that week.

Her dog was a Russian mountain dog. He was the size of a small lion and came in at about 175 pounds. I was sooo thankful he like DH and me.  :0327: It may have been the doggie treats I took in my suitcase every time we went to work at her hospital, though.  :hapydancsmil:  You can never be too skimpy with love around Russian dogs. :laughkick:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My Minn friend has 4 cats.  I sent that second link to her.  She replied that some cat foods have been extinct for several months.  But with that article, she went hunting today and really stocked up on the types her cats will eat.

Our first cross-breed Anatolian-something was around 170# when we adopted her.  But she was obese!  Got her down to a hefty 145#.  I still blame training her to walk on leash ...for my shoulder pains!! 

MtRider  ....  This 75# dog is mighty small compared to our previous two.  She's strong tho....to assist me back up the driveway and up stairs.

• Like 2

Be aware that storing dry dog food will go rancid after awhile. One prepper stored a years worth of dry dog food and it all went rancid and they had to throw it all out. It made their dog sick. Not dangerously ill but she wouldn't eat it and when she did she had bad intestinal issues. Canned dog food holds up a lot better. I assume the same for cats.

This reminds me, I need to stock up on some cereal. I'm nearly out and it is  supposed to go up in price in January. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m having issues finding cream of wheat (farina)...in stores and online. I checked Honeyville and even the Mormon warehouse online. It’s not out there. Anytime I go into the stores I check and if there’s a box I grab it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I have a hard time finding it here.    It was easy to find when i lived down south because the stores stocked multiple brands, but here it is just 1 brand in 2 stores.   I bought a box while I was in MS.   :wave:

• Like 3

If you have a Winco nearby you can buy it out of the Bulk Section. I think it's called "creamy wheat cereal."

I just checked their website. It's not available in the store or online. What a bummer! 

Even though I no longer eat it because of the carbs, I still have some in my pantry from "way back when," just in case the foods I can eat go scarce. Same thing goes for oatmeal.

ETA: I googled it and found it to be available at Walmart, Target, Riteaid, Walgreens, Kroger, Safeway, Ralphs, and Raley's/BelAir/NobHill.

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 3

My local kroger was out when I went last week, but I just checked the website and they have the kraft cream of wheat or 2 other brands of farina depending on what you type in.   It was available  to ship though the price was more than I'd want to pay.  

Search Products - Kroger

I always open the boxes and pour it into mason jars for storage.  It seems to do better that way for us.  I cut the instructions off the back of the box and I have a dollar store plastic bin of 'box instructions' in the kitchen.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4

I've handled things in boxes that way too, euphrasyne.  I have a dozen Bisquick box sides with the recipes.  They do change them from time to time.

Why would Cream of Wheat be a scarcity?  As Euphrasyne indicated, it might be quite popular in the south....but the real question is: at what point in the supply chain is it backed up?  And is that problem likely to be repairable? 

MtRider  :shopping: 

• Like 2

I store Cream of Wheat that way too. I have plenty stored up. I like the texture. I think most people in the south eat grits. I've never had any but I think they are more like 'cream of corn' if there was such a thing, than cream of wheat. Isn't cream of wheat and farina the same thing? Not sure.

I have 4 types of dry cereal I eat from time to time. I store them in a plastic cereal container but I'm thinking of changing over to the more stable acrylic ones.  

• Like 2

Cream of wheat and farina are almost the same thing.   Farina is more textured than cream of wheat due to the part of the wheat it is made from.  Grits are made from hominy (corn treated with lye).   Grits have a rough texture closer to rice pudding or oatmeal.  Do NOT put sugar on grits--sacrilege.  They are served with salt and butter.   Sometimes mixed with cheese or served with a meat and gravy as part of dinner.  The texture is very 'gritty' and thus...grits.  

When I lived in MS, grits were extremely popular and many people also ate cream of wheat (which can be eaten with sugar.)  I could find both at the store with multiple options at most groceries (this was accurate for the 30 some odd years I lived there.) Most of the people I knew had a box of each at home.  Now that I'm on the east coast, both are very hard to find.  I have more grits options than farina options, but not by much here in VA.  

• Like 5

When my cousin moved to South Carolina she was surprised by all the grits they served down there. They served them with every meal. When she was in the hospital, breakfast, lunch and dinner were served with a complimentary glob of grits. She hated them  LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been looking all over for this post. I made it a point to check it out. We can still get cream of wheat up here. This week Wal-Mart, Giant Eagle and Meijers still had plenty of it. 1 minute, 2 1/2 minute and instant. All were about $3.00 - $3.50 a box. Maybe the north is getting cream of wheat because the south is getting the grits. 

That made logical sense... in my head.

• Like 4

It’s still out of stock in a lot of stores in my area. You can buy the kind that’s in those little packets but I don’t want those. If I do find them they are $4.59 to $4.79 a box. Every time I go into a store now I kind of look at how people have the shelves set up and it’s really crazy sometimes to see. I was in a CVS store yesterday and saw how they were laying items flat instead of standing them up to make it look like there was less empty shelf space.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I haven't seen any stores laying any of the merchandise flat yet. That is odd. Most of the stores here are facing the boxes out and bringing them to the front of the shelf. Most everything is one deep. It's really noticeable when someone buys one item leaving a gaping hole. 

I couldn't find Vicks Vapor Rub anywhere up here. I don't need it yet but wanted to have some on hand. I finally ordered some today from Amazon. I ordered a jar of it and some Vicks patches you put on kids clothing and some nebulizer saline. I ordered it around noon and it was here by 2:00 pm. They must be using drones to move merchandise to distribution centers. I couldn't have gotten dressed, drove to the store, (plus gas) better than that. 

• Like 3

My crystal ball is telling me chicken and eggs are next. The bird flu is ramping up again in Europe.

A 79 year old man in the U.K. has come down with the H5N1 avian flu. The first bird to human transmission this go around in England. He had over 100 ducks on his property and then bought 20 of them in his house as pets. Well, that's how it starts I guess. He is quarantined but too little, too late? I guess time will tell. It's rare for that to happen. But it does.  :sigh:

• Sad 2
On 1/9/2022 at 10:36 PM, Jeepers said:

and then bought 20 of them in his house as pets.

:mad:  :scratchhead:   :gaah:    DUCKS!  Reallly!!!!  They are WATER-foul!   [yes, I spelled that correctly!!!  MESSY MESSY MESSY.  They drink copious amounts of water and what goes in one end.......comes out the other!  

Sheeesh, at least he could have had chickens! 

received_339580093358916.webp

Edited by Mt_Rider
pic not cooperating
  • Like 3

All water-‘foul’ are messy.  Chickens at least drink fairly neatly and the hens can be pretty quiet if contented.  The problem with using them as a food source is the grain or feed needed.  I suspect at some point in the future it could be expensive and possibly scarce.  

Rabbits might be an alternative meat source.  Theoretically a trio of rabbits can produce the same amount of meat as a beef in a year on less feed that can be gleaned.  No milk and no eggs though.  

Personally if I had to do it I would opt for Nigerian milk goats (they can have 3-5 kids at a time and technically twice a year if you work it right plus a surprisingly large amount of milk) ; a bantam breed of thrifty multi purpose chickens (meat and eggs on what you can raise for feed) ; and a few rabbits ( for meat if more is needed and possibly fur).  

That’s still a lot of work for us old folks but at least possible in a good sized back yard. Or a garage if you have access to feed.  And best of all, these might be considered “pets”.  

• Like 3

Do they make banty-sized "chicken diapers"? :lol:   See pic above if it will open.  

Or ...will a Nigie  or rabbits wear a diaper?   Maybe Nigie....?    :laughkick:

But really...with those 3 "tiny critters" ...it's very true that you'd get a lot for the space and labor and feeding.  AND the manure would highly enrich your garden....even if it had to be guerilla gardening.  Not sure the the noise factor with chickens and goats would be stealthy tho.  Rabbits can squeal but not often.    :hidingsmile:

Anyway....my irritation with Mr.Clueless with waterfoul in his house.....he's asking for a virus to spread from his 'foul' pets to himself.  Humans need to chose to share domain with critters that do not share virus - bacterial material with humans.  Bird Flu.  Swine Flu.  etc.   You could very well be correct, Jeepers.  Book burning and poultry/swine bans....? 

Even outside, sanitation is how the human race finally became so prolific.  Have 10 kids so there might be 3 still living when/if the parents make it to their elder years.  Intelligent rural folks are very meticulous about hand-washing and cleanliness  {way before the C-plague} 

MtRider  :dishes:  :clothesline:   :bathbaby:  

• Like 3