MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canner Gauge Testing For Accuracy

I've been looking all over trying to find out where to get canner gauges tested for accuracy, locally. 

I ran across this guy from the University of California Agricultural and Natural Resources (Cooperative Extension Master Food Preserver) stating that if you have the weighted gauge (jiggler) along with the dial gauge, then the canner doesn't need to be tested.  He starts at 3:11 on the video.  Testing Dial Gauge Pressure Canners - YouTube

Am I right in assuming that if you have both a dial and a weighted gauge on your canner then it doesn't need to be tested? I'm thinking the weighted gauge (jiggler) is what is maintaining the pressure. 

I'm just trying to make sure my food processing equipment is in good condition before summer. 

BTW, Lehman's will do free gauge testing on June 23rd. and August 25th. if you are in the area. 

Store Events - Lehman's (lehmans.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years ago i had a dial gauge canner I got at resale shop tested at my local county extension office.  Only place I ever heard of that did it.  

• Like 2
On 2/8/2022 at 3:16 PM, Jeepers said:

Am I right in assuming that if you have both a dial and a weighted gauge on your canner then it doesn't need to be tested? I'm thinking the weighted gauge (jiggler) is what is maintaining the pressure. 

If you are using the jiggler and not the weight that you would normally use with the guage, you can ignore the pressure readings and just follow the guidelines for the time and temp pressure* necessary for your jar size and altitude. *by pressure I mean which weight to use for your altitude.

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1

Thank goodness for Leisa! 

I think I was using all of the weighted type gauges and 'jiggler' synonymously. I have all of them including the round disc one. With my dial gauge (the one that shows the actual pressure going up or down) I use the weighted regulator. The taller one that comes in three parts. I called that the jiggler. So far so good.

I never cared for the weighted regulator that came with the Presto (the round stubby one) so I got the three piece one (still having trouble with the terms) and really like it. So, I use the canner with the dial gauge with the three piece weighted gauge. I assumed that anytime a dial gauge was involved it needed to be checked for accuracy every so often. 

I've been canning since the 1970's with an old Miro canner that only has the round disc gauge but that's a whole other story. I got my first Presto with the dial gauge about 8 years ago and figured it was time to get the dial checked. Now it's good to know, since I also use a jiggler with it, it doesn't need to be tested. Correct? 

Thank you for taking the time to help!

Old dog...new trick syndrome here. :bouquet:

One more time for the slower crowd (me).  Dial + Jiggler = No Testing Needed. Right?  

18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

One more time for the slower crowd (me).  Dial + Jiggler = No Testing Needed. Right?  

Using the jiggler = NO DIAL TESTING needed. Just pay attention to the speed of the "dance" the jiggler is doing so that you don't over process your food or run your canner dry. :canning:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always use an extra quart of water in the canner. Just in case something messes with my timing and I have to start all over with the timing process. Such as I let the pressure drop below the safety zone. Hasn't happened yet but I don't ever want to let the canner go dry. I fear that more than I do it going bang. 

I feel better now that I know the gauge will be okay. I really like my dial/jiggler canners. I pay attention to the dial as the pressure builds and then let the jiggler do its thing to maintain. Much easier than the Miro with just the round metal disc. I considered an All American when I upgraded from the Miro but they are just too heavy for me. Especially if I carry a full load to an outside burner. And being short I didn't want to risk reaching over a hot canner on the stove top to unlock the screw down things. 

BTW, concerning overprocessing food, I've also read that over processing can cause the jars to siphon. I try to build my pressure slowly as to not cause siphoning and I let the lid rest ajar for about 5 minutes when I open the canner for the same reason. 

Thanks again...:canning:

• Like 1