MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Windows 11 - Love it or Hate it?

I was hanging on to Win7 even beyond the date they stopped "supporting" it. I finally had to buy a new comp when the old one crashed and they all came with Win10 which I had been avoiding like the plague. I've had this comp for a little over a year now and a few months ago my system started pushing upgrading to Win11!!! I still haven't figured out everything on this machine and I certainly don't want to have to start learning another.

Anyway, I found this vid on YT about all the issues, etc with Win11 and thought I'd share it here. To be fair, he also has a vid on all of the things he likes about Win11.

What Operating System are you running? What do you like/dislike about it? Would you switch to another interface when your present machine needs to be replaced? What would it be?

Would you give up having a desktop/laptop in favor of doing everything on a Smart Phone?

:pc_coffee:

• Like 2

Right now, I still have windows 10. But they are trying to download windows 11 and I keep saying not now. I would rather wait till all the bugs are out of it. But at this point I am going to stay with windows 10. I really haven't heard much about windows 11 yet.

• Like 1

They are pushing Windows 11 on my computer too. I don't want it either. I haven't heard much about it either way. I have a feeling they will get their way of phasing out Windows 10 just like they did with all of the others. 

I resisted Windows 10 to the bitter end. Literally. My Windows 7 died and I had to replace it too. So, right now I'm using Windows 10 on a laptop.

No way would I give up my laptop/desk top for a Smart Phone only. The buttons are too small and so is the screen. And there is an issue of opening multiple windows. That's probably in left field for most, but I need a full size screen and buttons. Beside that I use different softwares where I need a bigger screen. I've used the Kindle Fire for online use and found it very hard to navigate. The only time I use my phone online is for listening to Tubi or Pluto for background noise at the Indy house because I don't have internet there yet. 

What I miss most is a computer with the built-in CD drive. I still use that a lot. I do have the external one but it's awkward to use. I wish they would leave things alone or at least give us the option to opt out and be able to buy new computers with the same platform. If they did that I'd still be on XP.

A number of years ago when I saw my Windows 7 was dying I bought a new Microsoft Surface with external CD drive. It sits in the corner unused because at the same time I found a new cheapy HP laptop with a built in CD drive. It was on Amazon for around $300.00. I took a chance. I love it and that's what I use now. It has a 17 inch screen.  

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I am hanging on to Win10 and putting off Windows 11. I work on my computer most days, and use a lot of extra applications. I can't afford to suddenly discover the apps I use all the time "suddenly" stop working because they aren't compatible. I'll wait for a while longer.

Ironically, when Win 10 came out, I had just brought a brand, spanking new laptop that prompted me to "upgrade." It was one headache after another. Now, it's Windows 10 I'm hanging on to.

• Like 4

Good grief ladies, I have no idea what I have.  I just keep on updating so I probably have it.  If so, I haven't seen much difference other than the way you shut down, etc.  It used to be in the bottom left corner but now it's the temperature and a couple of other things that show up there.  The temperature is there all the time.  Right now, it's 50 and sunny here, so it tells me. :) 

There is now a 4 square blue window on the startup bar with all the junk that was in the corner.  Does that mean I have Windows 11 or do all of you have that?

• Like 2

I'm with you RHJill. I have a lot of really nice programs I bought for my Windows 7 and even earlier. But now they don't work on my Windows 10. And they don't even make some of that software now. I've been struggling to find a music software or download like I used to have but with no luck. 

I still have my Windows 7 computer and I'm very tempted to have it repaired just so I can use some of the old software. I know it isn't safe to use online, or so they say, but it would be worth it to use off line. I think.  

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I still have my Windows 7 computer and I'm very tempted to have it repaired just so I can use some of the old software. 

This may sound crazy, but I really really miss the version of FREE CELL that was on my old Win7 machine. :(

• Like 4
On 3/17/2022 at 3:40 AM, Midnightmom said:

This may sound crazy, but I really really miss the version of FREE CELL that was on my old Win7 machine. :(

Not crazy at all. I still miss Windows Vista sidebar with all the Widgets I had lined up over there.  :sEm_blush: 

• Like 2

I have a new, more powerful ThinkPad I bought last year to replace my Microsoft Surface. The ThinkPad is a beast, with  17.5 inch screen and I love it. I work from home and usually have multiple windows open.

I'm running MS 10, and holding off on MS 11, primarily because the specs indicate:

Start is significantly changed in Windows 11 including the following key deprecations and removals:
  • Named groups and folders of apps are no longer supported and the layout is not currently resizable.
  • Pinned apps and sites will not migrate when upgrading from Windows 10.
  • Live Tiles are no longer available. For glanceable, dynamic content, see the new Widgets feature.

Cricket doesn't want to fool with finding stuff. I'm busy! :pc_coffee:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would like to find a pad/tablet about the size of my Kindle Fire. It's 10 inches. I do a lot of planning, note taking and list making so I need one with a USB port so I can transfer data from that into my computer. Kindle Fire would be perfect but it doesn't have a port. The computer is just too heavy and bulky to carry around. I'd even be satisfied with a cheapy from Wal-Mart. I haven't really seriously looked around. The last time I went looking, nearly everything was out of stock. It probably hasn't gotten much better.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I would like to find a pad/tablet about the size of my Kindle Fire. It's 10 inches. I do a lot of planning, note taking and list making so I need one with a USB port so I can transfer data from that into my computer. Kindle Fire would be perfect but it doesn't have a port. The computer is just too heavy and bulky to carry around. I'd even be satisfied with a cheapy from Wal-Mart. I haven't really seriously looked around. The last time I went looking, nearly everything was out of stock. It probably hasn't gotten much better.

I have a little tiny laptop that can also fold back and be used as a tablet. It was really inexpensive a couple of years ago. It is the computer that I travel with because it fits into an ordinary purse. I will see if I can find it.I thought that it was an HP, but it is a Dell. It was on sale a few years back right after Thanksgiving for $130. It is handy, though it is a little slow. Here is the model info:

Dell™ Inspiron i3185 2-In-1 Laptop, 11.6" Touch Screen, AMD A6, 4GB Memory, 64GB eMMC Storage, Windows® 10, i3185-A626RED-PUS
Quantity Shipped: 1
Item # 8790314

I assume that they have a newer model/version of this now. It is just so darned convenient!

Edited by themartianchick
Edited to add more information
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

Crimony Darlene, I still can't get my HP figured out even with the Geek Squad at my beck and call. Adding an Apple into the mix would send me over the edge. :cheeky-smiley-067:

I ain't learnin' nuthin' new. 

I don't blame ya. I thought it would be far more complicated but it is actually very intuitive and was a constant surprise where I'd think, "that makes sense!".  Now I have a hard time remembering the PC way of doing things.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks TMC.  Ya know, I have a Microsoft Surface that I could use. I totally forgot that it folds back! I've been using this big old 17 inch laptop that I got new for $300.00, that I didn't even consider it. I'd still have to use the 'external' keyboard with it though. 

My Kindle Fire will do everything I want it to do. It even has note pads etc. built in.  But the only port it has is the one for charging. It's one of those micro ports. I wonder...if there is such a thing as a cord with a male micro plug on one end and a regular male (thumb drive size) plug on the other end? Made for moving data back and forth. I know those come in different shapes. Some are hollow and some are not. I may need another trip to visit my Geeks again. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I wonder...if there is such a thing as a cord with a male micro plug on one end and a regular male (thumb drive size) plug on the other end? Made for moving data back and forth. I know those come in different shapes. Some are hollow and some are not. I may need another trip to visit my Geeks again. 

onn. Micro-USB to USB Cable, 3 ft, White
https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Micro-USB-to-USB-Cable-3-ft-White/623907222?athbdg=L1600

onn. Micro-USB to USB Cable, 3 ft, White

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best Buy essentials™ - 5' Micro USB to USB Charge-and-Sync Cable - Black
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/best-buy-essentials-3-micro-usb-to-usb-charge-and-sync-cable-black/6456436.p?skuId=6456436

Alt View Zoom 11. Best Buy essentials™ - 3' Micro USB to USB Charge-and-Sync Cable - Black.

Staples 6.6' Pro Series Micro USB Charge/Sync Cable, Black
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Pro-Series-Micro-USB-Charge-Sync-Cable/product_1610518?cid=

Capture.JPG.6f50fd5e4f2868d066215de02b081ad8.JPG

Insten 10' Micro USB Male to Male Data Transfer Cable, White

https://www.quill.com/insten-10-micro-usb-male-to-male-data-transfer-cable-white/cbs/50659918.html

Insten 10 Micro USB Male to Male Data Transfer Cable, White

Amazon Basics USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B Cable, 3 feet, Black

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Male-Micro-Cable-Black/dp/B0711PVX6Z

Amazon Basics USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B Cable, 3 feet, Black

Search results. Many items to choose from:

https://www.amazon.com/micro-usb-data-transfer-cable/s?k=micro+usb+data+transfer+cable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank You Midnightmom! :hapydancsmil:

It looks like the one from Best Buy will work. The Amazon and Walmart ones look like the small end is the flat ones. We don't have an Insten store. Staples could work. B.B. and Staples are right across the street from each other so I should have some luck with one or the other. I'll take the pad with me to be sure This would be fantastic if it works  $$$

Thanks  :bouquet:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

It's nice to know I'm not alone in resisting Win 11. When my old Win 7 computer died I almost cried! I'd heard really bad reports on Win 10 and like some of you really didn't want to lose the disk drive. Anyhoo, I got a Win 10 computer and I'm used to it, just really miss the music and media player. 

I keep getting the 'do you want to upgrade to Win 11?' too, thus far I'm resisting it. 

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, I wish they would resurrect Microsoft XP.....best program with few problems. So easy to use. I only upgrade to the new products because work requires it.

• Like 6

Gosh….   And to think I really loved my Win. 3.1. :shakinghead:  

XP came out, I got a Sony laptop.  It went everywhere with me… I was doing the books for 2 companies, had an extra battery base and Word, Excel, and so many other great programs, photo editing, etc…

After 3 hard drive crashes, in 2005 I got 2 Mac books for us….  I was able to do everything on them, they upgraded fantastic.  They actually still work, only plugged into a charger.  Both batteries swelled and almost exploded… they hit the recycling center. I use mine regularly for pictures when I am painting.  

DH got a Win 10 desk top, for his games.  I got one too, specifically for the business.  That’s usually all I use it for.  When MIL is here, she watches her local TX nightly news on it.

Then, DH decided he wanted an apple tablet, we got two.  I have my kindle on mine… he’s on his almost all his waking hours.  

I use mine to surf, check emails, read my kindle and play a game or two a day.  I have waaay too much other stuff to do, than, to spend my time on it.

• Like 1