MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Windows 11 - Love it or Hate it?

Still have my windows 10.  I also still have my XP though it isn't working any longer. I also have a mac but still haven't figured it out yet. Not going to let windows 11 download on my windows 10. And besides that, give it 2 or 3 years and they will want to download another form of windows on it. 

I have not gone to windows 11 yet because my processor will not support it.   I'm putting it off till 2025 because I prefer to see my options at that time.  

If you miss freecell, the phone app Family Pack is amazing.  It has so many card games and is really fun.  My kids got it also.  It is free.  I like Russian Bank and Forty Theives.  It has freecell, spider, and about 50 others. 

Family's Game Pack - Apps on Google Play

11 is okay.  10 was okay, but I would be happy with permanent XP.  I really liked that one.

I really wish they would stop changing my hotmail around.  Every time I figure out how to use it, it changes.  

Now they want you to rent Office by the year.  But you can buy Office for cheap if you get last year's. https://shop.popsci.com/sales/microsoft-office-professional-plus-2021-for-windows  (There are smaller packages.)

• Like 1

After Windows change about 2-3 times then a lot of my programs won't work any more. That makes me so mad because I paid good money for them and I really like them. Plus the time it took  for me to figure out how to use them. I was/am really mad that they stopped making computers without an internal hard drive too. I use mine for music and videos. I still have tons of CD's and DVD's. Plus the software CD programs I paid for. It's okay if they want to make cheaper computers without the drive. Just give me the option to buy one with.

Oh I know it wasn't to make a computer cheaper. They are even more expensive now. And you have to buy an external drive that you have to balance around your 'laptop' which sort of defeats the ease of a laptop over a desk top. 

You know what? I have a box of floppy disks and I have no idea what is on them and no way to find out. Could be important or could be junk. But I'm afraid to throw them away just in case. :sigh:

15 hours ago, Jeepers said:

You know what? I have a box of floppy disks and I have no idea what is on them and no way to find out. Could be important or could be junk. But I'm afraid to throw them away just in case. :sigh:

You can take them to a computer repair shop and have them move the info to a different storage medium -- hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully I still have an old but working computer has USB, floppy, AND CD capabilities but it’s definitely time consuming to transfer my old ones as I have tons of them.  

• Like 1

We didn't bring any of my floppies when we moved, and brought almost no CDs or DVDs except some few movies.  I thought we had boxes of software packed, but they sure didn't get unpacked.  Talk about small fortunes spent and unaccounted for -- not to mention all that personally identifiable information on them.  That's what really curls my hair.  

We had one of the non-floppy floppy disks with a game called Millennium, which taught my boys the names of Jupiter's 16 major moons, Saturn's 12 biggest moons, etc.  The generator always blew up at the exact same point, Mars always declared war at the exact same point, and I just miss it.  I can't find a replacement anywhere.

• Sad 2

I have so many movies. I had an 'add on' box thingie for my TV where I could copy DVD's from the library. Looking back, that may or may not have been 100% legal. But I swear I didn't think about that then. :unsure:   I love music. So off to the library I went again. So yeah, I have tons of the round silver disks. They will probably become obsolete in my lifetime too. 

I don't think I have anything too personal on the floppies. Probably a lot of lists etc. 

Remember the old store CompUSA. We bought a lot of software programs from there. Also from Best Buy and Circuit City. All are pretty much useless now thanks to all of the computer updates. 

The first 'computer' game we played was on a Texas Instruments machine in 1980's.  Basically a box with a cartridge. I loved that game. You had to shoot little green blobs with a joystick. I think it was one step up from 'Pong'  I still remember the one song it played. Last year son sent me a YouTube of the music. I'd like to play it again. 

• Like 1