MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Yes, I DO buy pickles for the jar!

No! That's just crazy talk!  :o

But I do buy Clasico spaghetti sauce for the jar. I like square-ish jars and these have Atlas embossed on one side like the old fashion canning jars used to have.  

511+HrjSauL.jpg

I also bought some green olives for the pantry last week. I chose the ones for the shape of the jar I liked. It was not these but the shape of the jar is similar. I have no idea what I'll use the jar for but there ya have it. And I rarely eat olives.  

81ASWmUbxhL._SL1500_.jpg

BTW, your spinach looks lovely. 

BTW2 I guess I do buy some products for the jar.  :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Because i am cheap frugal, I only buy gallon and half gallon whole dill pickles.  Then I chop them up into mason jars in spears, circles, and flat sandwich slices.  We are picky though I only buy Mt. Olive.  Sometimes DH tosses in a hot pepper to make them more spicy.  

• Like 1

I love those Beech Nut jars! I look at them every time I pass by them. Some of them don't sound too bad. Apples, bananas and pears. I could probably rack up a dozen in no time.  Dang it. :sigh:

Midnightmom, you got me started on those little individual dill pickle cups from Mt. Olive. You posted a Youtube film about them. I live alone. A big jar of pickles would last me 3 years. How long do they last opened in the fridge? Asking for a friend. 

We got us a bunch of enablers in here.  :angry:

:24:

• Like 1

My mom has this weird throat thing for the last few years where it closes up and she cannot swallow.  She has to have a medical procedure every six months or so where they put a balloon down her throat to let her eat again.   When it is acting up, she was living on broth and yogurt.  I told her to try baby food.  It worked and she can swallow it.  It isn't bad heated or chilled depending on what it is.  The apple & prune one is pretty good.  

My aunt had the best cake recipe that used baby food:

Linda's Plum Cake
2 jars plum baby food
3 eggs
2 c sugar
2 c flour
1 c oil
1 t cloves
1 t cinnamon
1 c pecans
Mix all and Bake 350F 45M.

She usually made it as a Bundt cake, but I think she did a layer cake with lemon cream cheese icing sometimes.  

We eat so many pickles.  I think we go through about a gallon a month.   Sometimes I cut them in half, hollow them a bit and use them as the 'bread' for a sandwich.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Yes...

I alternate between Mt Olive and Vlasic depending on which one is on "sale" (cheapest price at the time I am shopping). But it HAS to be the tall trim ones (like you and I pictured) and NOT the "fatter" ones with the shoulder on the jar. You can fit so many more of the skinnier jars on a shelf than you can the other ones! :bounce:

• Like 3

I have a bunch of jars I have saved in the shed. All boxed up for now while construction is going on. They are kicking me out of the main bathroom now. So, hoping this means they are getting closer to being finished. Then I can pull my jars out and get them washed. I want to start dehydrating again. I am hoping with the new and much wider countertop, I can just keep my dehydrator on the counter and just keep it going. Those jars are great for that. I like the different shapes of the pickle jars; spaghetti jars and I love the baby food jars. Though I haven't bought baby food in many years. 

• Like 3