MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you reading???

I've been reading, of course, it's what I do, but nothing is really grabbing me.  I just started Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult but haven't gotten into it.  It has something to do with Covid, a boyfriend and girlfriend, and her taking a trip by herself.  Doesn't sound like much but I'll give it a try.

I would love some ideas.  I hate to admit it, but I love young adult books like, The Hunger Games, the Divergent series and others I can't think of now.  They are so different.  Not the same old love story or mystery. I also like dystopian, like One Second After.  One Second After really hit me between the eyes.  I loved it.  Have any of you read it?

Keep reading!!!:reading:

• Like 3

I'm reading the  "Altered Genes" series on Kindle. 3 book series  was free a week ago. It's about a  pandemic and  living  after it. Pretty  good  for free. 

Also reading "The Spirit Filled Life" by Charles Stanley. 

• Like 3

I have been wanting to read ‘Go Tell the Bees I’m Gone.  I’ve read all (or I believe I have) of the outlander series.  I find Diana Gabaldon’s writing a bit laborious and a bit too gruesome at times but I love the history she portrays through her characters.  

I’ve been reading Janet Evanovich’s ‘Full’ series.  I’m enjoying them but not as much as I enjoy her Stephanie Plum series.  Her slapstick humor is exactly what I need to escape the tensions of today’s world. 

• Like 2

Dystopian adult the Altered Carbon series by Richard K Morgan

Humor that makes me smile at any time  anything by Terry Pratchett

Romance  Jayne Anne Krentz.  pen names: Jayne Ann Castle, Amanda Quick, Stephanie James.  she has contemporary, historical, futuristic, and thriller mostly under each name

YA I prefer the classics.  Anne of Green Gables series, Little Women series

• Like 2

Pauline......

I’ve been a fan of Diana Gabaldon since Outlander came out in 1991.  I’ve read every one of her gigantic books and was sorry when each ended.

I got Go Tell the Bees from the library, but the print was so small and the book so heavy (I’m old now :) ) I got it from Audible and listened to it.  I loved it and I’m ready for the next in 10 years. .:0327:

Miki….

I looked up Altered Genes on Amazon and it does look like my kind of book. :hapydancsmil:I like the price too.  Thanks for the heads up!  

Mother....

I like the Stephanie Plum books too.  Grandma Mazur and Lula are so funny.  Morelli and Ranger add a lot to the story.  They are just downright fun. 

euphrasyne…..

I hadn’t heard of the Altered Carbon series but looking at Amazon it looks like something kind of good and even weird.  I often like weird so I may just give it a try! 😊

I’ve heard of Terry Pratchett but can’t think of anything I’ve read.  I’ll give it a look.

I’m not into romance but I did know Janyne Anne Krentz was also Amanda Quick but I had no idea there were so many others.  Isn’t that cool!!!

I’ve read Anne of Green Gables, watched it on TV too, Little Women, also watched on TV, and enjoyed them all.  And now I’m watching Avonlea.  They’re all so good!  

Oh, how I love this ladies.  Keep them coming and keep reading!:reading:

• Like 1

I’m reading The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah and There are no words to describe how much I love this book! It takes place during the Depression and the Dust Bowl. WOW! I don’t ever recall really learning about the Dust Bowl…it was brutal! Made me want to drink more water!! It’s all about how the family survives and it is so very good.

Side note…I had Audible, Kindle unlimited and scribed but learned that I could use my library card and check books and audiobooks out on my kindle. I just cancelled KU and Audible!

• Like 4

Oh my gosh, ANewMe, I read it too.  It broke my heart the way the people were treated when they got to CA.  How did she manage it all?  And a husband who just left, to never return or even be heard from.

It was so good and absolutely heart breaking!.  

Now, if you tell me I'm talking about a different book, I'll be embarrassed but if it's the right one, I couldn't put it down either.  

Keep reading! :reading:

1 hour ago, Dee said:

Oh my gosh, ANewMe, I read it too.  It broke my heart the way the people were treated when they got to CA.  How did she manage it all?  And a husband who just left, to never return or even be heard from.

It was so good and absolutely heart breaking!.  

Now, if you tell me I'm talking about a different book, I'll be embarrassed but if it's the right one, I couldn't put it down either.  

Yes! I listen to it at work. Listening to books helps me focus more. Her book The Nightingale was also phenomenal.

Yes, I read The Nightingale too.  I've also read Winter Garden, Firefly Lane and I can't think what else.  I like Kristen Hannah!  Can you tell? :cele:

Keep reading!  :reading:

Lately all I've been reading are books for my book groups. My OHSU alumni group finished A Gentleeman in Moscow right before this whole situation broke out in Ukraine. Odd timing as I ordered War and Peace to read right afterwards, so that's on my reading list. Recently for my other book groups we read The Midnight Library which was really good and The Power which I didn't like, and then Silver Sparrow which I did. News of the World was a favorite book group read last year that I think most people would enjoy. I have Go Tell The Bees I am Gone to read too but want to re-read the last 2 before that to get my memory back of those before reading the new one. I haven't been reading as much as I like lately and want to do some ight reading next and since its my turn to pick the next book group selection I think I'm going to pick something light and fun.

• Like 1

Dee, I read One Second After years ago...that was a hard book to read. Had a few nightmares after I read it. Have you read the second one that came out?  I don’t remember what it’s called.

Miki...I just purchased the Altered Genes series. Looks interesting!

Edited by dogmom4
6 minutes ago, dogmom4 said:

Dee, I read One Second After years ago...that was a hard book to read. Had a few nightmares after I read it. Have you read the second one that came out. I don’t remember what it’s called.

One Year After.

It's a trilogy now. https://smile.amazon.com/John-Matherson-Second-After-Final-ebook/dp/B06Y158VZC/

I've only read the first one.

If you search by the author, One Second After and One Year After are available in Kindle Unlimited if you subscribe to that.

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 1

I have the One Second After series too. Although some people didn't like the ending of the first book, I did. I thought it rang true to what will probably happen.

Another dystopian type series I really like is The Journal series by Deborah Moore. It's written by a woman and seems to come from a kinder gentler point of view. I like it because she talks about the preparations she was doing before the SHTF. There is the obligatory gang scene but it isn't prominent. I've only read 2 of the 6 book series and that was a couple of years ago but the first one really stuck with me.  

I didn't read The Clan of the Cave Bear series, those books are huge, but I did listen to them on CD. I really liked them. They take place during the Neanderthal period. There is a lot of historical events in the books. 

And finally, one of my favorite books is Angela's Ashes. It's the true story of Frank McCourt and his family living in poverty stricken Ireland. I read the book and listened to the audio version. I enjoyed the audio version more because he read it himself and his Irish accent really made it come to life. Be aware that it is probably rated R. And skip the movie. It was awful.  

I forgot to add that I will read anything by Toni Morrison.

I read the first two of the One Second After series but not sure if I read the third.  I have to check it out.  Thanks for the heads-up CG.

I also had nightmares after reading One Second After.  I would love to say what parts of it really made me sad, but I don't want to tell any of it if someone hasn't read it but wants to.  I absolutely hate when people spoil things.  

I remember getting ready to check out the movie "Stepmom", and another lady looking at movies said, "Oh, you'll love that, but she dies in the end."  Grrrr, I was never sure I liked her again. :hapydancsmil:

• Like 1

Your reading sounds similar to mine blessedhomemak.  I have a book on hand that I'm usually reading.  Then I have a book on my phone in case I'm somewhere in need of reading material and lastly, I also have an audio book on my phone.  That's for when I'm working in the kitchen, driving a long distance, etc.  

People wonder how I can keep all three straight and, I have to admit, if they're the same genre I do have to think about who's life I'm into in this or that book.:laughkick:

• Like 1

DH and I listened to One Second After recently but I had also read the book some years ago.  I hadn’t realized it was a trilogy.  I’m not sure I should read it.  My imagination for what is possible is already highly advanced. :tinfoilhatsmile:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dee said:

Your reading sounds similar to mine blessedhomemak.  I have a book on hand that I'm usually reading.  Then I have a book on my phone in case I'm somewhere in need of reading material and lastly, I also have an audio book on my phone.  That's for when I'm working in the kitchen, driving a long distance, etc.  

People wonder how I can keep all three straight and, I have to admit, if they're the same genre I do have to think about who's life I'm into in this or that book.:laughkick:

Hi Dee,

Right now, I am reading 2 fictional print books, 1 nonfiction, and 1 on my phone! Great minds! 😆 🤣 

I have another nonfiction book arriving tomorrow so I am looking forward to that one, too. It is called , " The Lazy Genius Way."

It's difficult not to have one handy for every situation.  I learned when I was driving my children here and there and everywhere that if I had a book to read while I waited, I could wait for hours but with nothing to occupy my mind I'd go stir crazy!  Of course, I have to admit I'm old enough it was before we all had cell phones, so it was always an actual book back then.