MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I bought flour a couple days and remembered to take it to the freezer today.

Did you know if you freeze flour for a few days, it will not get buggy later on?   

I freeze it for, say a week, maybe way longer if I don't need the freezer space and too lazy to remove it.   I know it can go a year past the date and I've even kept it longer.  I've kept it in the old house that belonged to my mother-in-law.  There is no heat or air there.  Our summer can be in the 90's.  Our winters can be -20.  I've never had a problem with it.

Since we live on a farm mice can be a problem in the fall as grain is taken out of the fields.  So, I store mine in totes.  I have totes all over the house filled with things mice like...hate those little guys!  

We have 2 bathrooms and it's just DH and me.  His bathroom has a bathtub with a shower and it's just too hard for him to get into with his arthritis.  He uses the walk-in shower in my bathroom.

You guessed it; I have totes in his bathtub.  Three totes to be exact that have flour, sugar, baking powder, popcorn, you get the gist. Close the shower curtain and no one knows it's there.

Creative thinking is a must if you don't want your preps all over your house for you and others to stumble over. Also, I like to keep what I have as quiet as possible.

So, what are some ideas the rest of you have?  I would love to hear them.  So would others.

• Like 2

I’m working on getting more dry goods like flour and meal and was just wondering how to store it since I don’t have a vacuum sealer. My friend told me to put it in a zip loc bag in its original package with a bay leaf or two. I haven’t tried it but I may do what you said and add the bay leaf too. 

I have some large pickle jars that I have saved. If I put it in the freezer for a few days could I then stoe it in those jars? Will it “sweat” or have any condensation after coming out of freezer?

I don't keep much flour, just not much of a baker, for now anyway.  Our grocery stores have white buckets with lids that frosting comes in, and if they have some they will give to anyone who asks.  I need to do that again.  This is a small city, so we all get along pretty well.

Dee, it was nice to see you posting again,  and now some other are rejoining.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Putting dried goods in the freezer is a good idea. Even if there aren't any bugs in there it could contain eggs. Freezing will kill them before they even get started. Rice is good to freeze too for the same reason. I usually do mine for 5-7 days. Most of the time I forget they are in there. You can't over freeze your dried food.

After you take them out of the freezer be sure to let it set at room temperature for a day or two. That will prevent any condensation and they will be ready for long term storage. Do you have any Mylar bags? They are good because they will keep out light and moisture. 

Glass jars are good too. Rodents can't get into them.  I'd suggest getting oxygen absorbers to use with the jars. They will create a vacuum seal. They are pretty cheap at Amazon. Just be sure to keep your supplies in a dry, cool, dark place.

One other thing. DO NOT use an oxygen absorber with sugar or salt! It will turn them brick hard.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Putting dried goods in the freezer is a good idea. Even if there aren't any bugs in there it could contain eggs. Freezing will kill them before they even get started. Rice is good to freeze too for the same reason. I usually do mine for 5-7 days. Most of the time I forget they are in there. You can't over freeze your dried food.

After you take them out of the freezer be sure to let it set at room temperature for a day or two. That will prevent any condensation and they will be ready for long term storage. Do you have any Mylar bags? They are good because they will keep out light and moisture. 

Glass jars are good too. Rodents can't get into them.  I'd suggest getting oxygen absorbers to use with the jars. They will create a vacuum seal. They are pretty cheap at Amazon. Just be sure to keep your supplies in a dry, cool, dark place.

One other thing. DO NOT use an oxygen absorber with sugar or salt! It will turn them brick hard.

To clarify, put the original package in the freezer, after a few days remove it, let it sit at room temperature for a few days then package for long term storage.  I even lost myself up there. And yes, I'm talking to myself.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, ANewMe said:

Will it “sweat” or have any condensation after coming out of freezer?

I’ve never had mine sweat.  Sometimes I forget it’s in there.  Left a shipment in for a couple of months, before remembering.  Yikes!  But, it was fine, didn’t even smell or taste fresher burned.

Jeepers, I do wrap the original packaging in a plastic bag before I shove it in the freezer.  I don’t think it makes much of a difference.  IDK for sure.:scratchhead:

• Like 2

I freeze powdered items, then pull out to store dry so that any insect issues do not pop up.   I've never had condensation or sweat issues as the powders are put in dry.  I put the whole package of whatever in a giant ziplock bag, freeze that, then take it out, decant it into dry storage and reuse the bag to freeze the next batch.  

• Like 1

I've left mine in the freezer for a lot longer than I had planned to with no problems. Once I left a bucket of rice and wheat on the porch, in the dead of winter, for 2 months. Free freezer space. 

For the short time its in the freezer (theoretically) I don't bother with a plastic bag. Condensation can occur so its just safer to let the food come to room temperature before packing it away. I've heard where it has happened to other people. :shrug:

Also, rodents will chew through Mylar and plastic totes if given half a chance. I saw where mice had been at the Indiana house and freaked out. I loathe those dirty disgusting things. I think it would be prudent to set traps in your pantry to make sure you are on top of them. Just in case you miss them being there. At least that's what I'm going to do. Away from little fingers and puppy noses of course. 

• Like 1

I don't keep much store bought flour either since I tend to grind my own grains into flour. I don't usually freeze the store bought stuff, although that's always a good thing to do too.

Dee, you need to start a "beef" thread because as I sit on the front porch, taking a break from the day, I'm watching Idiot (that's the name I gave to one steer who's destined for hamburger in a couple of weeks) strolling down the driveway, not a care in the world, going where HE wants to go, which ticks me off.

Off to the kubby to herd him back to the pasture. I'll be so glad when he's gone.

• Haha 2

Freezing for a few days won't make any difference.  Most bug eggs are adapted to endure a hard frost.  You need to leave it in there for several weeks.  Oven-proofing it is so much faster.  I forget the temperature but under 200.  You have to be careful about changing flavor.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Ambergris said:

Freezing for a few days won't make any difference.  Most bug eggs are adapted to endure a hard frost.  You need to leave it in there for several weeks.  Oven-proofing it is so much faster.  I forget the temperature but under 200.  You have to be careful about changing flavor.

So good to see you, Ambergris!  I was concerned!

• Like 1

I laughed at your idea of a beef thread Darlene.  I might just get one going in a couple of days.

I don't know about freezing not working Ambergris.  I've done it for years and never had bugs but maybe it depends on where you live.  I'm on the frozen tundra of Northern Iowa and you're in Florida.  Maybe that's the difference.

23 hours ago, ANewMe said:

I have some large pickle jars that I have saved. If I put it in the freezer for a few days could I then stoe it in those jars? Will it “sweat” or have any condensation after coming out of freezer?

I would think that you would be able to spread the flour out on a baking sheet or two and put it into the oven at a very low heat to remove any moisture before storing it in a jar. There is a method used when storing dehydrated goods in jars called "conditioning." You put your processed goods into the jar/container that you are going to use for long term storage and close it up. You leave it on the counter for a few days, shaking the contents every once in a while. You are looking for condenstion inside the jar, or "clumping" of the items. If either of these happens you put the goods back in the dehydrator for a while, then "condition" the food again. You should be able to use this same process with your flour. :thumbs:

• Like 3

Also, I remember from the pre Y2K threads that if you store loose grain, flour, rice, beans, etc in the food grade plastic buckets you can "vacuum" seal the buckets by putting some dry ice (on a piece of brown paper bag) at the top of the bucket before putting the lid on. As it "melts" it pushes out air and creates a "vacuum."

There may be an old thread on here somewhere that explains the process much better. :shrug:

• Like 1

Midnightmom, I've heard of the dry ice method too. I wouldn't even know where to go about getting any. Maybe a party supply store that sells it for the Halloween 'fog' machines?  I've heard the suction is so strong it can collapse a bucket. It pops back up when opened though.

11 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Also, I remember from the pre Y2K threads that if you store loose grain, flour, rice, beans, etc in the food grade plastic buckets you can "vacuum" seal the buckets by putting some dry ice (on a piece of brown paper bag) at the top of the bucket before putting the lid on. As it "melts" it pushes out air and creates a "vacuum."

There may be an old thread on here somewhere that explains the process much better. :shrug:

You are absolutely right, Midnightmom! I remember reading about that method, though I have never tried it.

I found this video on Youtube to explain the method. Unfortunately, you may have to watch a commercial first. Mine was about earwax! :24:

Edited by themartianchick
Edited to add a video
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Midnightmom, I've heard of the dry ice method too. I wouldn't even know where to go about getting any. Maybe a party supply store that sells it for the Halloween 'fog' machines?  I've heard the suction is so strong it can collapse a bucket. It pops back up when opened though.

I can buy it at the grocery store.  Ask!

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

As the CG said, you can buy it at grocery stores, BUT, you have to ask for it because the freezer it is in is kept locked. They also inquire to know if you know how to handle it safely and will give instructions for doing so.

• Like 1