MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

I haven't posted in a few days, as it has been busy around here. I spent the weekend in my own house (for a change) and we celebrated dad's birthday. I also spent some time finalizing plans for our mini-vacation. Hubby is grilling for dinner tonight, so no need for me to stress over that. Today, I am back at work and fielding text messages about my mom's health. I may need to leave work early to manage that situation and hustle her off to the hospital. Fingers crossed!

Keeping your mom in my thoughts, Annarchy! :hug3:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Well I'm finally home from the trip from h3ll.  

First I guess I'll say what went right. It will be faster. I found a place to deliver a mattress box spring in two days. I needed one badly because my top mattress (mattress in a box) was falling through the slats on the bed and ruining it. Plus the head of the mattress was sinking down below the head board. It sits so high now that I have to literally crawl in bed. Sigh. But sliding out is easy. 

The guys came to clean the carpets and the air vents. It took six hours. They cleaned all of the mouse poop and pee from the carpet and scotch guarded them all. I'll keep the carpets as long as grandson doesn't ruin them and then I'll get wood floors for my older age. I sat in the car in the driveway and detailed the Jeep. I got all the glass and vinyl all cleaned up nice. Got it all vacuumed and changed the car mats and seat covers and steering wheel cover. It looks like a new car inside. And boy did it need it. I had spilled some pop in the console some time ago and forgot about it. Also got the two folders of CD's in order. That was a long six hours.

They sealed up the whole house and sucked everything up and out of the air ducts and vents. They even took the return air vents off the walls up by the ceiling and cleaned those dusty messes. While in the crawl space they noticed two tiny rusted out spots in a metal thing under the furnace. They said it was no big deal but were drawing it to my attention. Something about a metal plate being welded to it would fix it. If I ever have some extra money...I'll have it looked at. They sucked the vents so hard that sewer gas came from one of the 'never used toilets because it leaks' toilets.  LOL. Also, someone had stuffed a towel in one of the vents. Don't know why. So that was the good that happened over there.

Except I got to babysit GS a couple of times. We were playing pretty rowdy at one time and he stopped and said, "Oh Grandma, I'm so excited I could pick my nose!" I'm sure there was a proper response to that but I'll be darned if I knew what it was. I gave a hug and changed the subject. Quickly. :blink:

On the way over, I had a flat tire. Brand new tires bought in November, but I ran over something in the road. I'm on the toll road when it blew and in the fast lane going 70 mph. with semi's all around me. The steering was acting wonkie and I figured out what it was. I finally made it to the side of the road and waited for about a dozen semi trailers to pass by before I hopped out. Sure enough the right rear was flat. I got my can of Fix A Flat out and tried to air it up. But the tire was too far gone. I'll tell you what, I was scared half to death one of those vehicles was going to crash into me out there on the side of the road while I was squatted down trying to air up that tire. Did I mention I was on the Indiana toll road. As luck would have it, I guess, I was about 5 miles from an exit. I hobbled in but it was an unmanned  booth. I pushed the call button and got a real person on the other end. He sent a tow truck out to change my tire and within an hour and a half I was on my way. Luckily I had a decent spare. And lucky I didn't bend the rim driving on it that distance. When I hopped back in the Jeep from my tire fiasco I sat on my glasses. They are lopsided now. Wire rims. Oh, and when I got off of the toll road they charged me for 5 axels instead of 2. That is the second time they have done that to me!  Wonder how many other people they have done that to who didn't notice. $45.50 for toll. I'll have to fight that one...again. 

When I rolled in town, son and family were at the eye doctor. Turns out son has cataracts and it looks like the start of glaucoma in one eye. So far they are just watching it but surgery will probably be in his future. Sigh.

Son took me shopping in this new (to him) truck. I can barely get in it. My chest comes to the top of the seat. He is either going to have to give me a boost from now on or get a running board. Beautiful black truck with all the bells and whistles but definitely not mom friendly. We were shopping for pantry shelves. Menards had none in stock except for the huge heavy duty 6 foot shelves. Home Depot had two in stock (I need 3) of the 4 foot size but they were $139.00 each plus you couldn't add shelves to them. So I didn't get any shelves to get my food up out of the garage.

I finally got to see the different sizes in freezers side by side. I have decided the medium 16-18 sf freezer will be fine for my needs. Went to order one and instead of taking a week to arrive, they are back ordered a month now. Gardeners?

The final blow was I noticed nearly all of the areas above the doorways, at the house, have stress cracks running up the wall. And a couple of the corners where the walls meet have a huge crack going up and down them. I just had the place painted. I had the foundation inspected before I bought it and it was fine. So, now I need to schedule a drywall expert (I think) to come look at it. I can do the stress cracks myself. It's just going to depend on what he will charge me to do just the corners or the entire house. 

And I need a new garage door opener. That one works only half of the time.

Before I left town I went and bought a brand new tire for the Jeep. No way was I driving back to Ohio without a spare tire. 

Crimony.

• Sad 6

:wave: Jeepers.  Glad you got back safely.  Sounds like a rest is in order.  :bighug2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't handle work today.  Spun my wheels for hours.  The draft just wasn't making any sense no matter how much I put into it, so I came home early and took a two-hour nap.  Ugh.  Getting older, you know?

Ordered some 3.5 gallon food-grade buckets, all the right size.  My old ones have all been drilled to be planters, somehow.:scratchhead: The new buckets cost twice as much on Amazon as they would have at Lowe's, but they're marked food grade and...I can get to them.  Have not been able to get to Lowe's despite some weeks of trying.  There just isn't enough energy.  Especially since I also have to drum up a ride.  :sigh:

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Jeepers, glad to see you back. Now for a nice relaxing few days and you will be good as new. 

Been a very busy week. Cleaning out kitchen cabinets and putting in new shelf liner. Washed clothes, started the garden where I have everything set up for it. Started going through the food and getting things more organized there. Moved the older foods to the kitchen cabinets. Can only do that on the weekends though.  Still cleaning up dust from everywhere.

Today they got the bathtub in, and plumbing done. The backsplash is now here and hopefully they will get that in tomorrow. Once that is done, I will be very busy canning meat from freezers. Then I can go out and reload when I find sales. Will be doing some dehydrating also with the frozen veggies in freezers. Have some frozen strawberries and blueberries to dehydrated as well.  Having to wash the dishes I took out of cabinet as they even have dust on them. Thank goodness for dishwashers. 

I won't be on here as much as I will be very busy for a couple of weeks if not longer. Just starting to unpack stuff to go through and get rid of what I don't need. Plus working in garden. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

On the way over, I had a flat tire. Brand new tires bought in November, but I ran over something in the road.

We had more flat tires in Indiana than all other places, combined. It was explained to us that the RV industry is one of the culprits. RV Capital of the World, they say. Anyway, it seems that all those nails and screws that fall through the framework during construction come bouncing out when the completed rig is heading down the Interstates and onto their new owners. Sounds good to us because Elkhart was the worst on newer tires.  :0327:

• Like 3

Scared, worried, but trusting God. That’s all I can do. Trying to stay strong for his mom. She’s pretty upset too. 3 hr surgery, couldn’t get all the blockages out. A stint & more tests to see if they can get the other blockage. 
98% blockage. It was bad.  I just want to cry my eyes out. Doc said, “…God willing…”. I’m a mess. 40+ years together… sigh:sad-smiley-012:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

Annarchy, I understand how hard it is.  Been there only with my DH it was almost losing his hand and his life. And it was 58 years.  Stay strong for MIL and DH but don’t forget you.  Picture all of us sending hugs. :hug3:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Homesteader said:

We had more flat tires in Indiana than all other places, combined. It was explained to us that the RV industry is one of the culprits. RV Capital of the World, they say. Anyway, it seems that all those nails and screws that fall through the framework during construction come bouncing out when the completed rig is heading down the Interstates and onto their new owners. Sounds good to us because Elkhart was the worst on newer tires.  :0327:

Well that explains a lot. I was at the Middlebury/Shipshewana exit. I thought it was ironic that we had just talked about the Shipshe flea market right before I left. I never thought about Elkhart and Nappanee being right there. No wonder the service truck got there so fast. They are probably on stand by. :tapfoot:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Scared, worried, but trusting God. That’s all I can do. Trying to stay strong for his mom. She’s pretty upset too. 3 hr surgery, couldn’t get all the blockages out. A stint & more tests to see if they can get the other blockage. 
98% blockage. It was bad.  I just want to cry my eyes out. Doc said, “…God willing…”. I’m a mess. 40+ years together… sigh:sad-smiley-012:

Oh Dear, you know we are all here holding you up in prayer! I can't get you off of my mind.  Stay strong.   :pray:    :hug3:    :pray:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Annarchy said:

A stint & more tests to see if they can get the other blockage. 

I almost lost DH about 30 years ago. He has stints and has been purring along ever since. It was a real eye-opener for both of us even though he was in terrific shape from construction career. God will see both of you through. When it's too much for you to carry, He will carry you through. It's a promise.  :hug3:  :pray:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1