MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Becca_Anne, looking forward to seeing more pics.  Awesome.

So…… our drama continued today.  They filled the hole at the end of our easement.  City had a tamping machine, gas guys said, “don’t do the old line.”  He did anyway…and water began bubbling up and flowed again… 2:30 … backhoes digging the area out, again, city & gas co managers, standing around, water turned off, and I hear, “ I smell gas!”  Everyone vacates the area…gas ppl come in, fix their line, water ppl get back to work…. 7:00, we have water again….  

Yikes!  Our block was built in the 1950’s.  Grandparents bought this house, when Grandfather retired just after WWII, as a ‘show demo’ for the whole block.  My uncle bought the property next to it, as an investment, a few years later, and then built a custom home on the lot.  The two properties were divided by a fence/plot map.  Years later, my grands, allowed the garbage truck to access between the properties, thus creating an ‘easement’, which the utilities have exploited.  Back then, they didn’t have gas, but allowed the gas co to put in their lines, which allowed the electric ppl, to put n their utility poles.

A couple of years ago, the electric co asked me, if they could put a metal pole at the corner of my property, with the stipulation, they would put another pole, at the back of our block, & remove all the wooden poles in between.  Including the antique transformers, I agreed.  Just because it would limit the ‘alley’ traffic, if there wasn’t a need to service the wooden, old, old, poles.  

Then, the gas co came, offering to move our meter to the side of our house, for free!  Not a problem, that got our meter out of the easement, where it had been hit countless times, by ppl trying to drive thru the ‘alley’ when it was nothing but muddy water….

Now, the gas co is replacing ALL the towns lines…. 1940 - 1950, is a tad bit old, and I seriously appreciate them for doing it….  Actually, slightly over due. 

• Like 5

Well that's one way to replace the line...but glad they are getting it done Anarchy even if they are making a mess of it while they work! Hopefully once that's done you won't have to mess with any more utility issues. We took the opportunity to bury the electrical line when we upgraded the electrical panel right after we moved in. Still need to get out there and level the ground where they dug it up but for now it's at least not going to risk having the power lines to our house get knocked out in a storm. Big trees around so it made sense. 

• Like 4

We went shopping to Dollar Tree and Lidl today.   Dollar Tree raised the prices to $1.25 and fired all the cashiers.   It is now self check out only with only 1 or 2 people working the store on the weekends.  Tell me more how great the economy is.  :buttercup:

We got some squish for the baby's birthday next weekend and some things for fall.   Terry is helping us model the new pumpkin and bat wings.  The rest is older stuff I'm fixing or working on.  

305569037_1849272885419275_4560083880863995553_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Terry is doing an excellent job! Very pretty kitty.  :wub:

I have been lethargic lately. I did run over to Best Buy yesterday. I wanted to pick up another music editing software program. I still can't find a program like I used to have. It was good and it was easy. I have a lot of CD's that I want to further tweak plus I've promised a couple of people some copies. D-ex wants my whole library of music. He has good taste.  :24:.  And for each CD I have, I make two extra copies for myself. They seem to get messed up in the jeep CD player. I'd better get some more blank CD's before they stop selling those too. Everyone wants digital now. 

I wish there was a place where we could still buy software programs, games and movies like we used too. There are a couple of movie/TV series that I want to buy but when I read the reviews on Amazon some say they are very poor quality like they are pirated or else the cases are all torn up. I'd like a couple of British shows and Little House on the Prairie but they are too expensive to chance getting something inferior. I wonder if Barnes and Noble still have DVD's? I still miss Borders.  Anyway...

I had a huge surprise in Best Buy. The place was covered in TV's. Mostly big huge screen TV's. Seriously, I've never seen that many TV's in one place. They were stacked in all of the aisles and they even made aisles from some of them. The entire back of the store was a TV maze. I wonder if they don't have a back room they could have put some in or if it was full too? It looked like they had a whole cargo container full. :shrug:

I'm thinking B&N might be in my future next week.  

• Like 2

Started cooking 3# of Great Northern Beans with ham this morning, then Church.
Got home and ran to local grocery.
Walked dogs.
Picked okra and no figs. Season is about over except for assorted peppers, eggplants and cucumbers.
I think I'll take a break the rest of today.

You all have a good week!

• Like 3

Been a rough few days.  Working on turning the living room into a multi-use room. Not easy when there is only one wall and a 12 ft. picture window and an opening at foyer and one at dining room. So, placing of desk, sewing machine and such has been a challenge. Still, lots of stuff to go through. Started another Good Will box Only one more box to pull out of small bedroom and drag into the living room to go through. Still several boxes to get through but it is going slowly but going. 

Went to Church this morning as we celebrated our 62 years since the church was born. So, we had a celebration birthday. A time capsule was placed in the corner stone of the church in 1971 and was opened today.  3 silver dollars, deeds that was paid off as church was being constructed and other things. Then we had a lunching and went through photos and such of all the activity throughout the years. Next week will start a new chapter in our church as we will have a new pastor to take over for our interim pastor. Hoping he will be a really great pastor and we can get the church back on course from the covid mess. I am now trying to get back on a regular basis from all that has happened over the course of 3 and 1/2 years. I guess I also need to turn a new chapter in my life as well but not an easy thing to do. Close friends of Dh's and mine have been going through a lot as well and I lost a close friend early on this year. Her husband is really struggling with going home to an empty house. I know that is hard on him. Makes me think how lucky I am to have GS living here with me even though it is only temporary. 

Still haven't been able to catch up on here and read everything that has been happening but hope all is well with everyone. 

Garden is done with exception to still getting green peppers and that is it. So, working on garden beds for next year, the house and a lot of other things that is going on. Staying busy keeps my mind off of a lot of things and what is happening around the world. Probably a good thing.  I ordered 4 more cases of canned water to set back for dire emergencies. That came in yesterday. Not working on food so much now as I am looking into ways to have a backup water source. Found someone to do the well for me. So, hoping next year that will be taken care of. Even though I do have a well, it has dried up on us before from lack of rain. So that is why I am working on other water sources also. 

Anyway, break is over, and I need to get back to work. Trying to get things put away now, so hoping that will go well. 

• Like 7

Euphrasyne cute kitty and love the fall deco! 

Jeepers It has been ages since I went into a Best Buy. I prefer CD's too I can never remember what is in my digital music library. Usually I just use You Tube to play my playlist there or use CD's in the car. 

Littlesister sounds like you are making good progress!

Now we are just waiting on the plumber to call to schedule to hook up the dishwasher and faucet and then it will be ready to use! Still need to move the appliances and get the fan installed above where the fridge will go but that can be a project for later.

• Like 5

Hello to all.  I'm not keeping up right now.  Just ....  :twister3:    ..... 

:sigh:  I'm TRYING to get lots of sleep.  STILL can't get to bed and SLEEP.  Midnight would be great.  3am..4am...5am...  :sigh:  Not So Much!  :buttercup:  

But I'm taking naps and sleeping late and.... I AM getting rest.  So I'm beginning to feel better.  Did labs for doc appt next week.  I'm "within normal parameters".  That's all I can read of the reports.  I'll see what doc says. 

DH is working 3 nights over weekends - since our main vehicle says "check engine"....and that says : "Tran$mi$$ion"  ..   :groooansmileyf:   

We're really hot some days and then nearly down to FROST a couple nights.  :knary:  :frozen:    Oye!  Aspens are not turning golden yet.   Soon.  

I have a new exercise program with the dog.  Get ducks/geese off the pond  ...inside pen to eat before locking them into duckhouse for the night.  Meanwhile, dog and I scale the mountain.  Okay, not a mountain.  But a doggone STEEP, gravel hillside.  Quite good cardio, if my stopping to BREATHE is any indication.  Dog doesn't have to stop but does have long tongue hanging out by the time we climb to top; cross over and descend on the old Zig-Zag trail made by the horses thru the years.  ....then we have to walk back UP the driveway.  .....and the 15 steps to cabin......   :woohoo:   :lol:  

MtRider  .....  I'm trying to rest and keep up cardio/muscle and rest and ....  :shrug:    We'll see.

• Like 4

I'm right there with you on the sleep pattern. I am sleeping. Just at the wrong times. I need Ambien to get me straightened out but that would require a doctor visit. I don't wanna go.  Three or four nights on that and I'm straightened out for a month or two. Actually it's the generic but I don't know the difference. 

I was a hot mess yesterday. Somehow I disabled my Javascript on the computer. I couldn't access anything. I was trying to get what I thought were cookies off of it and the rest was history. I got everything backed up and deleted things I didn't want the Geek Squad to see. NO, not that kind of stuff! Prep sites and my password folder etc. Got it all decrumbed and Windex-ed the screen and waited til morning. In the mean time I fiddled with it some more and finally got it straightened out. I even tried to restore it to a previous date with no luck. I don't know how I got in that mess and I don't know how I got out of it. It sure is a sinking feeling though.

I'm still looking at DVD's to beef up my entertainment value. It's pretty discouraging. It's bad enough that they are so darn expensive but most of the reviews say the disks either don't play or they freeze up or glitch. Who can afford that! I really want Little House, The Waltons and Andy Griffith so we can have family TV without being offended. Know what I mean. I'd like Vera and Shetland for myself. I don't have a TV over there yet but I think when I do get one I'll get a Roku. I THINK you get some free TV stations with it. I need to check that out. If so, Roku, a Fire Stick and a $70.00 a year subscription for Brit Box and I'll be all set and on the cheap. Maybe Acorn for a month or two.  Assuming all of that works out like I think. :rolleyes:  As an aside, you can get some DVD's that do not play in the US. They are a fraction of the cost. But you can get a DVD player for cheap that will play DVD's from any place in the world. Except for Blu-Ray disks. I'm thinking of going that route. 

I'm starting to load up the Jeep a little at a time again. I want to get over there again before the end of the month. Rumor has it food prices are set to rise sometime in October and my freezer needs fed! I have some more gift cards for Sam's/Wal-Mart from my bank and they are burning a hole in my pocket. I also heard Sam's membership is set to go up in October. My membership expires in October. I got a notice to renew my subscription now so I'm not going to wait.

The window film for the house arrived today so I can take that over and get started on installing it. I didn't realize the box was going to be so big. Hope I can get it in the Jeep sideways. I also heard of a huge discount store a county over from me in Indiana. I saw it online and it looks really nice. Looks like they carry everything from food to furniture. I plan to check it out. 

• Like 4

I'm glad that littlesister and Becca Anne are making progress on your homes!  That's got to be a good feeling!

You work a lot at getting moved, don't you Jeepers?  I hope you will be moved soon.

Walked first, but I am tired. Two nights of 4 plus hours sleep- no naps.
Going out to the shed to search for Christmas lights and some empty containers for flour.
New doctor appt. early this afternoon--so fasting until then.
Cut carrots for dog treats and sweet potatoes to dehydrate for dogs.
Make sweet pickle brine to throw some cucumbers in (fridge).
Make pumpkin walnut raisin muffins.
That should do it for today! Have a good week folks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Today, Monday morning… chased a few trials … got the ball moving…

Went to the PO, Team Fichel (sp) was working down the block, on the gas lines..  We had about 1/4-1/2 “ rain last night, so, 094747F4-959F-4C02-ABCD-C2DD8E5DD68C.jpegthe alley is still flooded.  IMHO, they still have a leak. Normally, the ground would be dry, but it’s still quite soaked..  a truck, came, did something inside the truck, got out, went under the ‘caution’ tape, sprayed a couple of markers, and left.  I have no clue.  This is what the easement looks like…. They used the tractor to cover the open hole….

And, tonight, the sky around the mountains is giving us a light show that puts fireworks to shame…

As, We2 would say, “..wanna see?.. “

F5EF6FA0-B1FC-4B58-98B3-DE6AAEA4DCC0.jpeg

68235BED-D761-4380-9A84-44EB03BABFEC.jpeg

3EBA7FC9-2FA1-42A5-9E7D-FAC9FF6117C2.jpeg

• Like 7

This morning I slept in until 6:15. Yay! 7 hours.
Walked myself and then walked dogs.
Put sweet potato chips that were made yesterday, away.
Washed rugs and blankets.
Have someone coming to fix leaking toilet at 1 pm.
Still need to make Healthy muffins and salad today as muffins didn't get made yesterday.
Harvest anything that is ready.

14 hours ago, Annarchy said:

the sky around the mountains is giving us a light show that puts fireworks to shame…

I saw the most beautiful sunsets when we were in Quartzsite!  Arizona is tops for sunsets!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 3

Sooo, today, pinned up the side panels for his UTV replacement cover.  The original died…sun burnt, heat rot.  He got me 3,000 DNR material.  I used the original cover we had purchased, for a pattern & made a replacement, 2 years ago.  I thought the military grade material would last.  Not.  About a month ago it started splitting, even the seat covers I made, started heat rotting, fraying and splitting.  I was going to get more of the same material, but he suggested getting another canvas waterproof cover, like the one we use for the kayaks.  The first one lasted 5 years, before splitting.  I’ve used parts of the old one to replace the top & back on the porch swing, a cover for the lawn mower and several other things.  

I brought in the old, frayed, sunburned cover, a week ago, tried to remove the side panels to re-use the pattern.  HA!  The nylon thread I had used to sew it, was actually melted into the material, or vice versa.  Measured everything, cut the top & sides, zigzagged all the edges…canvas frays.  Sewed it, re-attached all the Velcro, made new tie down straps…the old ones were heat rotted also.  Put it on, and discovered…… to my shame as a seamstress, it was too small!  I had even added a full two inches to all the edges plus the seam allowance!  I’m assuming when I brought in the old one, it shrunk even more in our cool AC.  It certainly is much smaller, than when I took it off… 6 inches all around!  I hadn’t even considered shrinkage from cooling.  

Anyway, I had to make an extra set of side panels…and to double check, I pinned them, put it on and adjusted the fit.  Then, I finally finished sewing and put it on, this afternoon.  He’s ok with it.  My home economics teacher would have given me a D- for my first attempt, maybe up to a C now.    (“Yes, Ma’am, I did tie all my end threads.”)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Then…. to my chagrin…. As I was bringing the cover back in from fitting, preparing to secure the pins to sew….. I stubbed my ring finger toe….. I am not walking well… I broke it where to attaches to the foot!!!  What lovely shades of color…. Hobbling around with taped toes tonight.  :008Laughing:  I’m laughing because it’s been years since I did something that stupid….  And DH & I we’re just taking about where to put that table he found… “…not there,  or we’d stub our toes….”  :008Laughing:

Sometime I have a warped sense of humor…. :happy0203:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

I admire anyone who can sew. My brain just can't seem to make the calculations. I can sew a straight line and make some purdy quilts. As long as there is no math involved I'm okay. Strip quilts are my friends. I can make curtains. Again straight lines. A hem at the top and one at the bottom and I'm good. 

I saw a nice tote bag that I liked and bought one to use as a pattern. Not very big with straight sides. Never did get it figured out. There was lining and straps involved. Not even a button or a zipper. A straight rectangle with two cloth straps/handles. Above my ability.  :sEm_blush: That was over 10 years ago. Maybe I'll try it again...someday when I need some more aggravation in my life.  I really suck sometimes. 

Sorry about the piggie who stayed home. I guess 'home' wasn't the best place for him after all. Bet he cried Wee, Wee, Wee!  Ugh, I've yet to break a bone. Just luck the way I trip and fall and stagger around. And go bare foot. 

• Like 4

Poor Annarchy.  I hate to put forth a lot of effort [and sometimes expense] and something goes sideways.  Hmph!    Sounds like you were able to adapt....which is a merit badge worthy skill!  :thumbs: 

I'm trying VERY hard to get to bed/asleep before midnight.....er, mebbe midnight-thirty???  {sigh}  I'm seeing doc tomorrow!  The massive adrenal fatigue IS getting better.  :amen: 

MtRider  :offtobed:   ....um, soon! 

• Like 3

I like to sew as long as there are no darts to figure out.  Baby cloths are simple.  Do not ask me to make tops or dresses for anyone who isn't stick straight.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

My Grandmother showed me how to turn the fabric inside out, of anything I wanted to make another of, then, used newspaper to trace a pattern around the seams.  Pin the ‘pattern’ and adjust the ‘fit’.  I can’t tell how many pin pricks, I’ve gotten from, trying a paper pattern on.  :icon19:

I didn’t make a paper pattern for the cover, that was my mistake. I traced the pattern directly on the material and didn’t pin it to test for the fit, before I began sewing.  

Next time, I’ll remember, I hope.  Lol.

• Like 6

It would be fun to sew for little girls. Boys...not so much. They taught son to make pull on shorts in high school home ec. He really liked doing that and felt a sense of pride when he finished them. He chose skull and cross bones material. :D They were a little thin so he wore them to sleep in. He wore the heck out of them. 

I keep messing up the seam allowance. Generally, quilt seams are 1/4 inch but everything else 5/8 allowance. Or something like that. I can't get used to the wider seams. The pressure foot is 1/4 inch and makes a perfect guide for me. 

• Like 2

Hello ladies.  I have been catching up on things.  Apparently I am not the only one kept hopping taking care of all the 'stuff" that comes down the pike without warning.  Our goats are doing well socially, they have become quite friendly and accustomed to us (or maybe its the treats, LOL).  We are getting ready to split up the banties into two coops, one for boys and one for ladies.  Our plethora of kittens is slowly moving outside, they think it is a big playground. We did lose one cat to snakebite.  She crawled home and we found her trying to get to us, so off to the vet. Even in her pain she was loving on us, as we petterd her and tried to comfort her.  Sadly,  she was too far gone, with major nedcrosis of her entire backside setting in; so we loved on her as they gave her painkillers, then sleepy juice. Once she was asleep, the euthenasia.  She was an affectionate thing, we owed her relief from pain. So we do not regret it, only that we did not find her sooner.  But we miss her terribly. 

We are also going out armed at night.  We have an armadillo wandering around digging up the lawn and driving the dogs & cats crazy.  He will go as soon as we draw a bead on him.  Last night I had the spotlight on flash as I shined the trees to chase off the owl again.  He likes to hunt in our yard far too much for comfort, and we cant shoot them, so pestering  him with bright lights to repel him is all I could think of to do.  The cat that survived the owl attack, then a raccoon attack has decided to be an indoor cat.  Cant say I blame him.  

Our garden is getting ready for fall - the nursery had the fall garden stuff in.  We got cabbage, collards, kale, and romaine lettuce plants; seeds for radishes and another kind of lettuce.  The radishes are so sweet grown in the cooler weather of winter!  The cucumbers are STILL producing...we discovered, inadvertantly, the answer for vine borers...trellis the vines!  The borers cant find vines up in the air, LOL.  The green and hot peppers are still going.  As soon as I clear the side bed the walking garlic will go in there.  I also have a spot picked out for a compost heap, now that I have ploenty of nice goat pelletized hay to layer in there with the 'green' stuff.  Plus with the vine borers loving our zucchini so much, I am sondering if we cant rig up a hydroponic system for those....no dirt, no borers.  Today Mary was talking to the letter carrier who complained that the hornworms destroyed her tomatoes...and told her about thejm glowing in black light.  Apparently not too many folks know about that way to hunt them and destroyh them.  She also gave her a dozen cucumbers picked an hour earlier.

Mary is cutting plywood Christmas decorations out.  The blow ups are soooooo expensive and do not last very long, so we are going back to our plywood scenes.  Today she cut out our gingerbread house...I think it will be one that folks take photos of, it is looking so good!  We already have pine trees and candy canes galore.  Next i draw up gingerbread people, and Mary wants a Santa and Mrs Clause.  If we have any energy (and materials left) we will make up a few Chistmas Minions to scatter around.  Of course we will still use the blow ups but are working in more durable replacements.  Mary is very good with the techincal part, I am good with the ideas, plans and patterns.  

Food prices here are nuts, but we can still get hams for $2.50 a pound (spiral cut Sams Club) so our freezer is full of ham packages.  Scalloped potatoes & ham are a staple here, as is ham and eggs with hash browns for brunch and sometimes dinner when we have too much to do to take time to cook.  I'm dehydrating hot peppers both green and red like crazy.  We do not eat many, but many of our acquaintances do, and I found a capsacin liniment "recipe" to try which will use some of them medicinally.   

And so, on we go.  My doc asked last time I was there what I did for exercise....well....pull weeds, pick garden produce, stretch fences, chase and catch critters, tow brush and stack wood when Chainsaw Mary cuts trees, etc.  Even the American Heart Assc. says that yard work counts as heart healthy "moderate" exercise.   We sleep very well after a yard work day.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6

Yeah, I know they are there. They are harder for me to follow though. Plus I'm just so used to sewing using the 1/4 inch I automatically revert back to it. Old habit I guess. And the presser foot holds the fabric down and in place nicely. Now I'm in the mood to sew.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Today, Wednesday…. Called SS…. Wouldn’t talk to me… needed to talk with him first…. Ok.  Called back when he got up… their system says no Medicare insurance.  Nice.  

Customer in training, came, he forgot his bag….  Lesson for today, don’t forget your bag.  Lol.  BTDT.  Didn’t do it again.  They talked about other related things, as I prepared home made onion rings and hot wings, in the air fryer.  

Earlier, while he was asleep, I attempted to get online to check the bank account.  They want me to sign an agreement for 100% digital correspondence.  No!  I want my monthly statement, in paper, which I pay $4.00 a month for.  Frustrated, I walked away from my old desktop…and promptly stubbed the same toe on my chair! Again!!!!  Ended up on the guest bed, with one hand over my mouth & the other holding my toes….  Muffled cursing, crying and screaming, all at the same time. :008Laughing:  If anyone saw that fiasco they would be in stitches laughing…. Seems, I dislocated it, even though DH tried yanking it into place, because now, it’s sore, but not extremely painful to move or walk on.  The moral of the story, stub it once, dislocated, with pretty colors, stub it again and put it back in place…. Yeah, I’m a dork sometimes…. Yikes.

On the positive side of life, the pastel painting I’m working, for a customer, is finally beginning to represent their picture.  :amen:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Note to self.. don’t type a reply, then, close the browser….. before pushing the save button….. :runcirclsmiley2:

I was trying to add, talked to the bank teller, the manager came out, said he heard me say I was unable to access my account because I did not want to agree with 100% digital service.  I want my bank statements in paper.  He said, to use their ‘app’ you have to agree.  What ‘app’?  I use the net.  You’d be proud of me, Jeepers, I played the “old” card.  :rolleyes:  Telephone, land line access services will still work…. Guess what I’m going back to.  Lol

He said, it’s been that way since he’s been the manager, I looked at him, and said I’ve been a customer since your bank was downtown….. (35+ years ago.). Poor guy’s eyes glazed over….:008Laughing:

• Haha 6