MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

17 hours ago, Jeepers said:

With apologies to Ms. Scarlett,  As God is my witness, I swear I'll never be hangry (for mustard) again. I went to Meijers and bought 11 bottles of mustard. One for the fridge and 10 for the pantry.  :pout: I just now thought...I probably could have gotten it at the Dollar Tree cheaper. They were closed but it could have waited until tomorrow. I'm losing my edge. 

It would only be "cheaper" at the Dollar Tree if the grocery store botlles cost (significantly) more than $1.25@

The Five Quarter Store is not as cheap or as great a bargain as it used to be. :blush:

• Like 7

Midnightmom, it would have been a little cheaper at D.T. Not sure if they have the Frenche's brand though. Before they raised their prices I  got a bunch of their A-1 and Hinez 57 steak sauces for a dollar. They are the small bottles but that's okay, I don't use them very often and the bottle tops won't get all junkie. Point of that was if they had those brands they probably have Frenche's. I only have two bottles of ketchup in the pantry too. That will be next thing to stock up on. I'm really slipping lately. 

Edited by Jeepers
Spelling
  • Like 4

Thanks Jeepers my Dad came our of surgery just fine thankfully. He got to go home today too. I spent my day sewing with my new sewing group and finished piecing together a small quilt top and refreshed my memory on how to use a sewing machine for quilting. It's been 20 yrs since I used one to do more than hem pants! 

• Like 8

Becca, Glad your dad came out of surgery and doing fine. I didn't see on here that he was having surgery.  :pray: Praying for a quick recovery and glad he is home.

Church this morning and then home to clean the cabinets down. All dust off the doors and stuff now. GS is getting ready to mop the kitchen floor right after dinner.  Need to get started on that now. Time getting away from me.  Took GS with me to store and they have signs up at Harris Teeter about the shortages on pastas but no limits. Bought a few boxes just in case to add to my pantry.  Picked up some can fruit that was on sale also as well as chicken. GS went around and got his snacks. (Goldfish). At least they were on sale. No saltine crackers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been vacuum and Mylar bag sealing today. I did my popcorn and redid my cereal. I really over did the oxygen absorbers in the popcorn. It was a good call though. I have plenty and they are cheap. I put a 500cc one in a quart Mylar bag with 3 cups of popcorn. All 20 bags are already sealed nice and hard. I'll store them in a bucket and call it done.  FYI, the quart size Mylar bags are really pretty small. 

I got the jars of dried corn, peas, green beans and veggie soup mix sealed in 1/2 gallon jars. I'm working on the carrots. Since they have a long life span, they will be put away for dire emergency use. I might transfer them to Mylar bags in the future but for right now...they are purdy in the jars. :rolleyes:  I also sealed a jar of onion soup mix. Corn meal is next.  

• Like 6

One of the nice things about living near an ag university is that grad students are at many of the big events around town giving out goodies…at the whole earth festival yesterday grad students were giving out seeds they were doing research on. I got different kinds of bean seeds developed for my area. Can’t wait to try them out.

9D28DE90-21ED-4E43-A16B-A91E78504453.jpeg

• Like 9

Heading home tomorrow morning from TX.  Hopefully stop in NM to visit my dear friend, then, get home to DH.  

Silly man, he cleaned house today, against my wishes.  He knows better than to push himself… not until he gets the docs ok.  :sigh:

• Like 6

I pulled out the fabric for the chair covers and made a start. I have one made, the the one I'll make tomorrow, then I want to strip and varnish the frames before reassembly. It's a job I've had on the back burner for months but I just haven't had the time or enthusiasm.

I've recently been down in the dumps and after discussion with my son, I have decided it's time to retire. My job has been hell for nearly a year and I've not been coping with the stress or abuse so I'm off. Since the decision has been  made, my blood pressure has gone from 160/110 (ish) to 125/85 ish. That alone tells me the job was killing me. I have just enough savings to see me through to collecting my pension if I'm careful.

• Like 10

Home safe. Wow what a drive!  Head winds all the way!  Went from 27.9 mpg to 23!  Trucks & cars were swerving…. 

Storm greeted me with his usual over abundance of, “ momma, momma your home!”  He actually said that so many times while trying to hug me. Dee-Ohhh-geezes!  He’s finally calmed down after 4 hours…

Im tired, sore muscles from fighting the wind… time to shower & hit the hay….  

• Like 6

DM4 are those top beans Anasazi’s?  

Annarchy, glad you are home safe. 

Wychwood. Congratulations on your decision.  

Lots going on with our members.  

Edited by Mother
  • Thanks 1

Glad you are safely home! Gripping a steering wheel for miles and miles is exhausting. Now it's your turn to relax and get some rest. :wink(2):

Nothing like the love of a Dee-Ohhh-Gee.   Storm--->:hapydancsmil:

• Thanks 1

Been VERY busy around the homestead.  Hubby is working pretty much full time for our pastor (who manages a trailer park) but it may slow down pretty soon. Been stocking up big time by shopping Amish and putting things up.  Got two nice pineapples so I sliced one into chunks for immediate eating (with yogurt) and the other in slices and in the freezer.  Somebody in this household loves pineapple upside down cake...:happy0203:

Got the kitchen floor swept and mopped as well as a quick dust mop in the bedroom.  Made a trip to our favorite seed store and picked up some seeds and a huge sleeve of canning lids.  costly but a must have while I can get more.  Bought some small Merigolds plants and have been fighting the birds to keep them off the blooms!  Finally put them on a rack on the front porch with vcr tape strands waving them off! LOL

Been spoiling my Abby girl all to pieces.  She hasn't been well.  Guess her food wasn't giving her the nutrition she needed so I've been supplementing her diet.  She was getting so boney.  I could feel her back bone and ribs.  Have my huge grieving process to get myself stabilized.  She's 10 1/2 now.  

Haven't plant anything of substance yet.  Was too cold...then too rainy and now it's very hot!

Well I gotta go. He's home and hot and will want supper before long.  :hi:

• Like 9

Mother, I don’t believe they’re Anasazi even though they look like them. They are partly a variety of from Mexico called a Zuni bean...what’s nice is that they’re heirloom so the plan is to have some to dry for eating and some to save.

• Like 3

“They” might think I’m a hoarder.. IDC…(I don’t care…). Heading for the store tomorrow…. Picking up supplies I’ve run low on, while mom was here. :sigh:  She had a fit when I picked up a few items, but, also noticed how quickly those items ended up almost gone!  She loves egg noodles.. if, I can find them.  Usually they are not on the shelf. Looking to find a pasta maker…. Who would have thought, if you wanted them you would have to make them from scratch?  Sigh.  We shall see what I can get on my list..and what is not on the shelf…

• Like 5

Dogmom, 

The beans at the top of the pick look like Jacob's Cattle Beans. I have a handful of those and couldn't remember the name. I Googled Cow Beans and found them! :008Laughing:

https://www.northbaytrading.com/more-ways-to-shop/jacobs-cattle-trout-beans?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmuiTBhDoARIsAPiv6L9b9W8W2R4Xk7nrL8cNQqHEjpSOJBRyoPzgBjeJdBsrYLFUAModgy8aAoAtEALw_wcB

• Like 2

OMG We2's! It is fantastic seeing you post again. I have thought of you often, wondering how you guys were doing. Sorry to hear miss Abby Girl's health is starting to fail. Love that little red head. I know she is in loving hands though.  Sigh.  Don't be a stranger.  :hug3:

• Like 2

Thinking of giving him my extra blender…I used it for  the twin bros when mom went dry.  Mix a tbs of her stuff with veggies & meat puréed.  It worked for my twin brothers, in the 70’s. Lol.  They  both love veggies and meat now…& they are in their mid 50’s now.  :whistling:

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

Also, baby formula…God willing…. Little Missy need it!  She had an allergic reaction to ‘mom’ & they had to go to mfg’d. 

Who would have thought that baby formula could become scarce? That just smacks of evil. 

BTW you aren't a hoarder. Planning ahead and taking care of your family's needs is just plain smart. Any thinking person who has had to buy their own groceries and noticed empty shelves and the rise in the price of food should be able to see the value in stocking up. I've been called a hoarder too. My response these days is, 'Whatever.'  I'm over it.  

• Like 5

Organic beans

This is a link to the program where I got the beans from. They’re bred to be disease resistant and to grow well in my area. They pass them out for free to the community to try out.

• Like 4

So neat to see all the different bean varieties. No work done on the house today but I enjoyed a day of quiet without sawing and banging LOL. We got the A/C units in which was just in time since it was over 80 today. There are lots of doors we can close so we only need to cool the area we are in. Gave the puppy a bath and that was about all I got done after work today. 

• Like 4

@themartianchick OMG! I just noticed your sig. Bystander is my favourite dystopian fiction! It's the only one that makes any sense and pretty much describes how I think life after would be like. Brilliant writing as well. Going to buy Christmas at Bystander now:D

Edited by Wychwood
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Also, baby formula…God willing…. Little Missy need it!  She had an allergic reaction to ‘mom’ & they had to go to mfg’d. 

I have seen a recipe for homemade baby formula using evaporated milk, sweet syrup, vegetable oil and a couple of other ingredients. Maybe it would be worth investigating? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Wychwood said:

@themartianchick OMG! I just noticed your sig. Bystander is my favourite dystopian fiction! It's the only one that makes any sense and pretty much describes how I think life after would be like. Brilliant writing as well. Going to buy Christmas at Bystander now:D

Yes! We are very proud to have our very own author here! I re-read mine every couple years.

• Like 2