MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

@Mt_Rider, Chocolate Pear Jam.  I put a link to recipe "somewhere"?

@Mother, i think I will try zinc, too!  Thanks!

Church first this morning.
Will walk dogs.
Cook some turnips (for mashed potatoes).
And honestly, not much more.
I intend to have some chicken livers (already pressure canned) with the turnips for dinner.

• Like 1

LOL .....in many circles of folks, chicken livers and turnips would get either :scratchhead:  or :sassing:   But yeah, sounds like a easy and nutritious meal.  I haven't had turnips since our gardening conditions shifted ...and the durned varmints took over.  :feedme:  

The Anti-Wildfire Stuff is splattering all over us again today.  {rain}  It's probably cutting the driveway further...it's steady but not a deluge.  At this point, don't think it needs a deluge to cut further. 

I'm so exhausted ...but glad to report I got more than 8 hrs of sleep last nite.  2-11am.  :amen: 

MtRider  ...finding my way to a bed for laying down; maybe a nap or maybe read.  :reading:

• Like 3

Jeepers, look up oil of oregano.  It’s a natural anti biotic, anti fungal and much more……

https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-oil-oregano#1-2

If I feel like I an getting a cold, bladder infection, etc…. I take it for a week.  Amazing stuff, cured my ulcer/stomach issues.  I got a bladder infection, it was gone in a couple of days, but, I kept taking for the week.  Flu/cold… 2 days…same thing.  Traveling exposes me to a plethora of crud… I take one a day…. And minor symptoms of the flu/cold vanish.  A friend of mine, has sever kidney infections, regularly, she started doing the “week” and has only had one in the last year, which stopped in 2 days, after resuming her dose.  I’ got lack of taste, last year, couldn’t find out why.  Nothing tasted right, left a nasty taste in my mouth.  Decided to try my oregano oil, and within 3 days I was overwhelmed by taste & smell.  IDK, that’s my experience…Check the data, & with your Dr, if it is ok to take with whatever meds you regularly take.  

I’m also lazy sometimes, so I just by the gel caps on line…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I was looking at the weather apps today.  Wow!!!  The SW is getting some much needed rain!!!  Glad you are getting moisture up there, I know you all really need it, MT_R.

DH/home was being socked HARD! Reds & yellows! this morning, as I got on the road in TX.  I was blessed to miss the blunt of the storm that hit MIL, light sprinkles as I got on I-10.  Close to Las Cruses, rain got somewhat heavier, but as I entered the city, most of it was gone.  Passed BP check point, had some misting as I approached the city my friend lives in…a couple showers when I went to visit her.  Her driveway had at least an inch, but, her garden was fantastic!!!!!!  Last month, it hardly looked like a garden…more like desert sand, now, OMG!!! Tomatoes are 4’tall producing watermelons that fill a 10x10’ area. :008Laughing: Seriously, she’s getting tomatoes by the bushel, squash, corn, melons, etc. wow!!

Left her house, hit the highway, hit a steady downpour to Lordsburg.  Had to get gas, was blessed by a light sprinkle, to pay & refill.  Rained an average downpour until I hit the AZ border…… Cloudy, temps rising, then partly cloudy, temps rising, then, hardly any clouds….temps in the high 90’s.  Wow,the humidity is tough.  98°F when I pulled into, the standing water in, our driveway.  

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, snapshotmiki said:

That's close to  standard  humidity  here in MS. Glad you're  getting  rain!

Good grief!  I don’t think I could handle that!

Average, “ history “, humidity here…10%. But, you remember that, when you lived here.  We can handle the heat, as long as, we don’t have humidity.  Add it to our heat index, and it takes your breath away when you step outdoors!  Lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

East……heading towards us….F1AB836D-AF90-4BC5-9C97-6793AB6358EC.jpeg

West….with thunder…..  coming at us…..too… and I wanted to mow tomorrow….. not if we get hit….  1-2” of rain….  My yard look s like a …. (Can’t think of the word…an alfalfa field before bailing?…….grass is over 6” tall!) 

6D9F0BE6-AE9F-4249-A76D-E6D17CE9E86B.jpeg

• Like 4

Ok, I think I lost my post…..

Radar….  Moving down from right to left…. The lower cell might hit us…. (The “East” pic above.)

DFB6572B-6B19-4534-9A30-AC6030E163FB.jpeg

Nope…it’s going to go around us..lol.  Typical AZ weather..  lol.

• Like 3

Thanks Annarchy. I'm going to order some tomorrow. I had some but can't find it. It's probably with the Potassium Iodide that I can't find.  :rolleyes:  I'm not on any meds except an occasional  Advil so all should be fine. I tried the macchiato and flavored coffees and they were tasteless and had a bitter aftertaste. I didn't even get the sweet tea because anything sweet tastes terrible to me. I knew it would be a waste of money. I tried some store bought macaroni salad and it was not horrible. Not very good but I could stand to eat it. So far its dill pickles and macaroni salad that seem to be winning. Tart foods are being most tolerable. This really sucks.  

I looked for an AZO test kit for UTI but couldn't find any. They had the meds but no tester. I'll try a pharmacy the next time I'm out. I have some stored away...in Indiana. They do work for detecting a UTI.  A good diagnostic tool to have in hand. 

Along with our cool temps, we have had some hard rains and thunder storms all weekend. I stepped out onto the porch to bring in a package and a big flash of lightning and crash of thunder went off. Scared the stuffings out of me. :runcirclsmiley2:I hate lightning. 

I noticed that our sky looked very strange. It was about 7:00pm but it was pretty dark out because of the storm clouds. The outside lights had come on but it was very bright in the yard. I noticed it as I was coming down the stairs inside the house. It was so strange that I opened the front door to take a look. That was when I noticed the package followed by the lightning. Dark stormy sky with the outside lights on but it looked like a very bright sunny day in the yard. Strange. 

Hope everyone has a better week ahead.  :hug3:

• Like 2

The thought of eating a chicken liver used to make me grossed out.  Then I moved to Alabama and vowed to try all the new things in the cafeteria at work.  Surprisingly they had delicious chicken livers which they served with rice and gravy. Never heard of canning them though.

I pretty much wasted this past weekend.  It was nice and cool but I couldn't seem to get enough sleep. I don't know if it's old age or depression.  Hopefully, I am well rested and will accomplish something today!

• Like 2

:bighug2:for Jeepers.  I HATE being startled out of my skin like that!  Feels so horrid and takes long time to calm down.  :behindsofa: 

:bighug2:  and for Momo too.  "old age or depression".  Yeah, hard to tell.  You may want to get some assistance if depression symptoms continue.  I've had to this year with all the "anticipatory grief".   Then half of that switched to " happening-right-now-grief" with my dad passing and still have "anticipatory and current grief"....cuz I miss my mom since she's moved across the country.  Gets a bit hard to even distinguish but....it doesn't really matter.  It hurts and sometimes we go numb.  That's okay unless it gets too thick and consumes too much of ourselves.  Then we need to get a bit of assistance for a while.  We're all in this together. 

I'm freezing.  65*  Thunderheads coming in...might do more storming.  Anything is better than wildfire...

...got good sleep but may go lay down again.  Excessive amount of rest/sleep is required to make up for long siege of clearing Mom's house.  MS exacerbation is ongoing...but...this too shall pass.  :amen: 

MtRider  :offtobed:   and read Kindle mebbe? 

• Like 1

Walked first.
Washed dog blankets and put flea meds on pups. Hopefully, last time this year.
Went to Walmart for squash to pressure can with okra and onions, tomorrow.
Pastor came to visit DH. Said he felt led to. They chatted for awhile.
I made jambalaya- big pot. Am pressure canning leftovers--less freezer space.
I think I'm done for the day.

We had a huge black and white dog come to our house. Sooo friendly! Oreo- not so much.
Pastor called local mechanic who knew where dog lived. Owner came and got him. I love small towns!

@Momo, sleep is not my friend either.  Last night 4 hours and 3 minutes.  Sigh.

@Annarchy, I'm used to the heat and humidity, being from FL and living in it the last 10 years in MS.  

I'm glad you are catching up on rest, @Mt_Rider!  Somebody needs to.  LOL

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I bucked up to 'the man' today.  :grinning-smiley-044:

So I got a notice last week that I needed to go to my local license branch to sign a paper. It seems that they lost my paperwork when I got my tags renewed...on June 3rd. Not sure how that could be because I had my copy of the paperwork in my hands. I smelled a rat. I don't know what kind but I didn't like it. I went over and told them I had proof of the transaction and I wasn't signing anything. I showed her the proof. She couldn't believe I wouldn't sign it and got the supervisor involved. She said I had to have the notice they sent me. I showed that too. She said I had to have the cover letter they sent. I told her I didn't bring it. She said they have to have it. Unbeknownst to her, I did have it but had left it at home. Home is about 3 blocks away. I got it and went back. Humm. She wanted to know why I wouldn't sign the new paper. I told her that I had already signed the legal paper (which is actually renewing the title) that I presented to her, and that I didn't want anyone else to have a second legal document to my car. She said to sign a waiver and to say why I wouldn't sign the new paper. I initialed it (still bucking up) and wrote, "I will not sign a duplicate legal document possibly giving someone else ownership to my 2005 Jeep Liberty. I have the original document at present proving that I own the vehicle outright and that I paid my yearly license plate renewal in June of 2022." She grabbed up the paper and I did my 'Swagger like Jagger' strut out the door. I was fighting for the little guy, Oh yeah, I owned them. 

I don't know what it was all about and more importantly I have no idea what I was doing. They lost some paper work but I wasn't going to cover for them. I'm probably on their despicable old woman right wing conspiracy theorist whack job list. I'm old, I don't care. But for about an hour today I was fighting 'the man' and it felt good.

BTW, have you all heard the jokes about how slow government agencies, like the license bureau, are?  My branch STILL has their Christmas tree up. I'll go take a picture if you doubt me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've been TIRED today.  Last pill for the round of steroids.  YAY.  Been getting mixed up on other pills and nutritional supplements while focusing on the steroids.  Done! 

Lay down to read Kindle for quite a while today.  Did tiny things...pick up something here; do a few dishes; ....go back to bed.  :sigh:   This too shall pass but I'm trying EVER SO HARD to be careful until I'm closer to MY normal functioning. 

Did I mention my Bro has the 'C' ???  Sheeesh.  Will be attending my mom's doctor appt tomorrow via phone or zoom.  He has to keep up to speed with her medical needs.  The 'C' is not helping that effort.  :fever:  

MtRider  ....actually, Bro needs to keep up with his own medical needs better too!!!  :pray: 

PS....yanno, for the longest time I thot this smilie  :fever:   was a guy with a pipe and a Scottish golfing hat.  :008Laughing:

• Like 2

Hey everyone!

We have been having beautiful weather this month. It has only been in the 70s and 80s and the forecast isn't calling for much higher than that for the rest of the month. I'm use to it being sweltering hot and humid in August. This is so strange. 

We started our new homeschool year today. The kids recently got their electronic devices taken away. I told them if they behave and do their homeschool work, I would give them an hour on devices tomorrow. 

I had to send back the crockpot I ordered from Amazon because the crock didn't sit in the base correctly.  So, I'm going to get a different one from Walmart and it is cheaper, too!

Got my lab results back. The doctor said I was low in potassium again and I might have diabetes, too. So, I did labs again yesterday and should hopefully hear something soon. They did an a1c this time. We're no strangers to diabetes in this house. My dh has type 2 and my 21yo has had type 1 for almost 16 years.I really hope I don't have it, too.

Dh said we CAN( yay!) get an upright freezer and a generator.  We're just not sure when. I can't wait! 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

You go, girl!

MtRider  :lol: 

I went. 

Veni, Vidi, Vici.  :happy0203:

My problem was that next year when I go for the license plate renewal, they would ask me why there were two documents (titles) for my vehicle, that I had signed, months apart. I wasn't going to deal with their chicanery over trying to say I was trying to do something nefarious. Not that they would. But they could and I wanted to 'nip it, nip it, nip it in the bud' (using my best Barney Fife voice) before it became a big issue for me next year at renewal time when I know darn good and well that I wouldn't be able to remember a darn thing about it. 

Everything is in a computer. They should have been able to have pulled it up. It wasn't a mere slip of paper they lost. My record in this town is over 30 years old. My Jeep is only the 3rd. vehicle I've owned here.  A Honda I brought over from Indiana, A new Skylark and a used Jeep. And why are they checking up on my file 2 months later?  :unsure:    It just didn't feel right, yanno.  

I'm off to run a bunch of errands today. I need a break. Depression is starting to set in again. Ugh, I hate when that happens. Clinical depression sucks. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

:lol:   I recognized Barney Fife!!!     HOW did he and the whole cast ever keep from busting out laughing while filming????

11 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Clinical depression sucks. :(

:hug3:  

:band:  * PUPPIES*  :band2:  

:bev:   *ICE CREAM*   :cakeslice:

:lois:   *FREE BOOKS*   :bathbaby:  

:balloons:  ****GRANDSON***** :balloons:

I know it doesn't always work that way.....but I'm wishing for you some of your favorite things, Jeepers. 

MtRider  ....and one free pass to INDULGE in EVERYTHING - PRN!  :bighug2: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

God bless you Mt. Rider!  

You did make me smile.  :hug3:

Most people who know me wouldn't believe I suffer from depression. I am able to set it aside for an hour or two at a time during the day. There are moments I can distract myself. They are fleeting but it helps me to know that this can pass because it always has. I'm not dangerous to myself!!! I'm just so sad for no apparent reason. I don't take meds for it but if it got horrible, I know that is an option. I'll give it a month and see how I'm doing. 

The license bureau got the brunt of it yesterday.  :D

• Like 3

Yup, depression sucks.  When I get those feelings, I go out to my yard and take my anxiety/depression out, by pulling weeds and praying for anyone and everyone I know…. Sing hymns, Christian songs… my neighbors probably think I’m nuts..lol.  God knows…

My Grandmother used to stomp on the weeds, saying she was stomping the devil out of them. Lol. Yup, it works.  Every time I see a feather float to the ground, I think a guardian angel lost a tiny feather…..  silly, but it works to pull me out of my funk, & makes me smile.

Honestly, IDK how I’m going to handle the future, but, I do know, beyond a shadow of doubt, God will get me through it.  It’s all in His hands….. se-la-vie…(sp)…….. what will be……. But, in my mind… I’m panicking….Sigh…..

P.S.  MIL loves to have Mayberry on the TV….  
dang…stupid whistling tune won’t leave my head now…..:008Laughing:  love fishing because of that show……..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I actually got a lot of running around done today. First stop was the post office. The guy who cut my Indy trees finally wanted paid. I've been waiting for him to call. He is about my age and we really have a lot in common. Everything was done by a handshake and I gave him the old non working hand pump that was near the front door. An eyesore to me. We really like each other. NOT in that way! We will probably never have any contact again...unless my check bounces.  Check.  I told him I could pay him on the spot with my credit card. He sort of hemmed and hawed and asked if it would be possible if I could pay by check. Sort of odd since a credit card payment would be instant payment. But I knew what it was all about. He asked me twice to make it out in his name and not the company name. He has owned that business for eons. His father started it waaaay back. So I knew he wasn't trying to fleece the boss. He is the boss. But I also know Unc. Sam won't see a penny of it and I'm fine with that. Pffft. Two days in a row I got to stick it to 'the man' Anyway, since our town warned us about not using the drop box at the post office, I had to go inside to mail the check. 

I went to Ollies and picked up four freezer meal books. If you have an Ollies near you they have tons of books for cheap! I can highly recommend them for that.

Our Old Time Pottery store moved to a new location a little closer to me. I don't know why they call it that. There is very little pottery in there. It's more like a Home Goods store. I had two little foldable tables in my Amazon cart but by the next day they were sold out of them. Little tables big enough for a drink and a cell phone. They fold nearly flat for storage. I wanted them for the garage. Well, OTP had them for $6.00 cheaper than Amazon. BUT they are robin egg blue, I wanted white to match my chairs. I got them hoping I can paint them. I think there is paint you can get for plastic. I hope so because they are pretty ugly. 

I went to Wal-Mart  and only bought some paper clips and some oregano capsules. The caps are a cheaper brand so I took two. When I opened the bottle they smelled like...oregano. Suprise. Made me hungry for spaghetti. Olive Garden was right there, and I was tempted, but with my wonkie taste buds I figured I'd be wasting my money. I still can't find the AZO test strips for a UTI. Maybe I'm mistaken about the brand name.

Stopped in JoAnn fabrics and struck it rich. I found some very nice material for curtains for the detached garage. It was more than I wanted to pay though. I looked all over that store for something I liked just as well. Of all those bolts of material and I couldn't find anything close. I bit the bullet and bought it. I got to the register and discovered it was 50% off! I saved $44.00 and some change. It's black and tan plaid. Black has become my favorite color. My house is full of it and I suppose the garage will be too.  

Swung by the Dairy Queen for a cone. Sigh. $2.79 for a medium chocolate cone that I couldn't taste. I won't make that mistake again. 

All things considered, it was a pretty good day.  

• Like 3