MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Littlesister, I'm sure it was money well spent. Safety issues are a big concern. I know the pain involved in home repairs though. OUCH. I'm still waiting for the bill for my water heater. Someone once said owing a home is like an expensive full time hobby. Boy Howdy.

:gdtmi: Any one ever had a gas pocket? I had a doozy of one lodged under my rib this morning. Second one in as many weeks. It hurt to breath let alone move. I couldn't find the GasX and I had also run out of the Prilosec. Some prepper I am. So I dragged myself out to Meijers. I'm better now. All clear.

The med aisle was looking rather picked over again. Tis the season though. If you plan to get OTC winter meds it might be wise to pick them up now. I did find some zinc lozenges too. I've been looking for those for a couple of years. They are Meijers brand but I'll take them. The Christmas candy is out already. I picked up a box of peppermint candy canes for stomach issues. They wouldn't let me buy them because they weren't in the system yet. Teasers. 

I've heard from a couple of people that Prednisone was hard to come by now. Might be a regional thing? They both are in North Carolina. A pharmacist said to look for a shortage in Amoxicillin this flu season too. Especially the children dosage. RSV is already pretty bad, If you need a script might want to talk with your doctor sooner rather than later. 

To day is Halloween. Know what that means. Candy will be on sale tomorrow and it's a good time buy glow sticks if you want them. 

• Like 7

Jeepers the money was well spent, but the timing was wrong. But that was something that could not be done with DH still living. It would have set a really bad asthma attack going. And with his health issues at the time, we talked about it about 5 or 6 years ago, I held back because of his health.

Been working all day on the small bedroom pantry.  I am not even going there. That room is packed, and I ended up after pulling boxes that have been packed up in closets for a long time, I filled three 8 ft. shelves to the brim with spices of all sorts. Some I had forgotten about. I didn't get to go through them to check dates yet as it was just too many. But most are more organized now. Might just check dates as I need something for now. That job will have to happen after the rest of house is done. I knew the past 3 years for me has been a nightmare, but where did all this food come from.  I am sure some of it was for the church food ministry before the churches closed down in 2020, because I had a boat load of cake mix. So, most all of that was in date and most of it is going to the church next Sunday. Will be some other things going to church as well. I don't think I will ever eat all this food now that it is just me. And GS is so picky he won't eat veggies, soup or canned meat. He really is going to learn the hard way. 

Ran up to Food Lion earlier today and you would have thought it was Christmas. No baskets and lines were all the way down the aisles. It was crazy. Only had to pick up a few frozen dinners that was on sale for GS for when he gets home in middle of night. Much easier for him since he is so beat when he gets home.

And yes, I have had those gas pockets before but has been a long time ago. Better get some gas X for incase it happens again. I am sure I don't have that. 

Food Lion was almost wiped out of candy. I grabbed GS's favorite.  At least they still had a few bags of snickers left. The candy isles were about wiped out. that was not the big bags of candy for Halloween. But the candy bars and things like that. Most was not on sale. 

• Like 3

Will walk first and then walk dogs.
Doc appt. neurologist- for DH later.
I have appt. to talk to my health insurance lady after that.
Put pressure canned dog food away.-21 quarts this time.
Leftover pot pie for dinner, so slow day.

• Like 4

Was able to get the long-term food out from under bed and into the small bedroom closet. Turning that bedroom into a pantry was the best idea I had. DH had started working on that idea before he got sick and SIL helped put up the first 2 shelving units to house the foods I had canned. Then GS and I put up the other 2 shelving units and the one unit in middle of room to house store bought foods and my canning supplies. So, all is working out and helping me to get house much better organized. I did not realize I had so many different spices. Though I do use them both in canning and when I am cooking. I think a lot of them I had bought cheap when Farm Fresh went out of business. Some of them I got for about $1.00 up to 5.00.  I have used a lot of those up as they would be the oldest. But I have since bought more not knowing for sure what I really needed and what I had as I had them in a box all mixed up. But now I can see exactly what I have and don't think I will need any spices for a long while. I grow some things like rosemary, basil, and a few others and don't buy those. But a lot of everything else. Please keep me out of the grocery stores. :laughkick: Don't need anything else for a long while. 

Hoping tomorrow I can get down to get oil change, tire rotation and inspection done. Need to get there before they open so I can be first in line. 

I am sure I have some long-term meats somewhere in house but must be in another closet. Maybe in GS's bedroom closet. Will have to go check that out. Need to get my head wrapped around what I already have. Then I can move to all my canning supplies and get that all on the shelves, so I don't have to keep running outside to the shed to get things. Trying to make my life much easier is harder than I thought. But will be well worth it in the end.

• Like 5

Jeepers glad you got relief from the gas that can be brutally painful. 

Littlesister sounds like you are really getting organized!

Miki hope your DH's Dr apt went well.

Today I raked leaves after work, have lots more to do it's almost an acre :laughkick:Thankfully I do have help. The city comes around weekly to vacuum up the leaves if you pile them by the curb so I plan to take advantage of it. 

Cooked up a big bunch of hamburger and froze most of it. Really feeling the push to stock up on food and get my freezer full of meat. I have my Thanksgiving turkey and DH bought several packages of chicken and hamburger so it's a start.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Becca_Anne, that's a great start! Anything added is a bonus these days.

I forgot to buy hamburger for the freezer. I had planned to buy some to make patty's and to can up later. There is lasagna and meat loaves to make too. I'm getting a handle on the freezer but I'm way, way behind on canning. 

When I was at Meijers yesterday I checked out the turkeys. They only had the Meijers brand and they were $1.99 a pound. Most of them totaled out be in the $30.00 $35.00 range.  

• Sad 4

Good morning!
Paid bills.
Next, will walk.
Run around locally to a couple of stores for sales.
Put a rack/ shelf together that was delivered yesterday.
Print a manual for my yard sale bread machine.
Call quick books and try to resolve more issues.
Don't know if we have Bible study tonight or not.

10 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

Miki hope your DH's Dr apt went well.

This one did-neurologist.  Tomorrow is pulmonologist and they have dropped the ball.  I hope that I can keep him out of the hospital.  Sigh

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Miki, praying that all will go well for your DH. I know it can be a struggle but just keep pushing for the care he needs. 

Had to take a break. Was going to take car in but can wait one more day.  

Started pulling all the canning jars, etc. from shed to store in the area I have set up in small bedroom.  I have only put a dent in it.  But I needed a break. Have jars sitting in garage now to bring in to take back to pantry. Got lots of walking in today going from shed to garage to pantry in back of house. I still have a lot of different size jars in shed. So don't even know if I can get them all in pantry. But working on a solution. I really want all of them out of the shed. They are in the way of a shelving unit that has things I need to go through for GS. Pots, pans, cookie sheets etc. that he will need come the first of the year. Want to get all that boxed up for when he is ready to move out. Need to get it done now before the weather turns really cold. Thinking of getting him out to the shed this Sat. to help go through things he will need. I even have a set of ball canning canisters he can have if he thinks he will need them. I know he will need at least one for sugar. 

Euphrasyne, if you ever decide you want to come by my house to see my madness, you would be shocked. It's overwhelming to say the least. But I am prepared for what's coming. 

• Like 5
On 10/27/2022 at 5:55 PM, Jeepers said:

Tell your daughter I like the way she thinks. It's called long pork. You might not want to tell her it's such a thing though. She has enough ideas already. :grinning-smiley-044:

And definitely don't let her watch Fried Green Tomatoes!  :whistling:

• Haha 4

Got all the canning jars that I could put into the pantry.  BUT that was just over half of them, and I have no more room in pantry for them. So, I guess I will have to reorganize the ones still in the shed when I can get that cleaned out. But at least I have the bulk of them in house now and don't have to make trips out to shed to get what I need each time. 

A lot of these I had bought over time, but I also have a neighbor that every time she went to a yard sale, she would bring me box loads of canning jars to me. I have some antique ones from those. I don't use those. They are very old, and I would be afraid if I used them, they would break in the canner. Don't think I need any more canning jars of any size. 

Tomorrow I should be down to Harris Tire by 7am for the inspection, oil change and tire rotation. Hoping to be first in line. They open at 7:30. Might get there earlier depending on traffic at that time.

• Like 3

Littlesister glad you're getting your vehicle maintenance done. That reminds me I need to make a 50k mile apt for mine before winter comes.

Jeepers amazing how much the prices have gone up.

Miki praying your DH gets the medical attention he needs to stay out of the hospital.

Great job Annarchy!

I am going to roast my 3 pumpkins and freeze them. DH picked up another turkey today so I have 2 one for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas. Since we only have 5 people I'll bag up the extra for future meals. Didn't get out today to rake I'm going to have to set an alarm to remind myself so we get out there daily for the duration.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Been working on the Dining room today. Car is done. Taking a break now. Getting ready to clean dining room window and still have that chandelier looking at me. it's nasty. But will be the last thing I clean as I don't want dust getting back on it before I get the top of China closet cleaned down and the curtains down and in wash. The shears have turned a light grey and they are white. So, dust will be flying again. 

Was going through all the stuff that was piled up on dining room table from everywhere and found a $50 bill. Don't know where that came from but in my wallet now. Wonder if I will find any more money floating around?  Would be nice if I did, but I am almost done with going through stuff now. So, I guess that was the only money floating around. 

• Like 4

Awesome jars Annarchy. Nothing prettier than a jar of home canned food. 

Glad you are getting your house in order Littlesister. I know it's been a long haul for you. I'm going to get one more trip to Indy before I get the Jeep serviced. It isn't quite due yet but almost. I squeeze every mile out of it that I can. 

Prayers that Miki's DH doctor visits go well!

Becca_Anne, I always just mowed over my leaves and called it mulch. I'd mow in one direction to blow them all together then keep running over the bunch until they were gone. But in my defense, I have a bad back, a big yard, few trees and a riding mower. That's my story... :D

I thought today was Friday. I had some errands to run that required me to go inside like bank, post office and Good Will and thought I had missed my opportunity to get it done before the weekend. So woo-hoo on me. I get a second chance to get everything done tomorrow. Half of the time I don't know what day it is until I look at the computer. I don't like to shop on the weekend if I can help it. Crowds. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 11/1/2022 at 10:37 PM, Jeepers said:

When I was at Meijers yesterday I checked out the turkeys. They only had the Meijers brand and they were $1.99 a pound.

I think our Walmart was $1.29 for their local brand. I heard the manager of our local pantry say that they're ordering 550 turkeys for the week before Thanksgiving. I'm so thankful the guys carry them to the cars each year and pack them into the trunks.  :happy0203:  We'll take two. One for ourselves and one for our Ukrainian refugee family at church.

From what I read, turkeys are ordered in January/February every year by the distributors. The stores get what has been allocated to them.

• Like 5

I haven't seen any turkey breasts this year. None. But I don't have a lot of choices in stores over here. I only like white meat so a breast makes more sense for me. And there is a lot of meat to can on the breast. Really I only buy the breast to can. I don't care for turkey broth either. I will look after Thanksgiving but I don't hold out much hope then either. I think we will be lucky to get what we get this year.

• Like 3

Jeepers, I think I saw turkey breasts at our local Aldi...I can't be absolutely sure, but I seem to remember thinking that I hadn't seen them anywhere else.  

I've been pondering purchasing a turkey while they're plentiful, but we normally don't have turkey for Thanksgiving (we have a different tradition)...and my kids always comment that it's too dry! 

I'm trying to get motivated today.  I'm behind on my housework and I need to get some organizing done.  I seem to be trending lower on my mood the last few days and I'm hoping that my BP disorder isn't starting a swing toward depression.  It wouldn't be abnormal this time of year.  When that happens, it saps all of my energy and I just have too much to do right now.  

I talked to my Mom yesterday.  She lives in an assisted living center several states away from us.  I brought up my concerns about potential civil unrest (is it okay for me to say that?) and what seems to be a looming diesel shortage, and I encouraged her to stock up on grocery basics.  Even though they have food three meals a day in their dining room, she still sometimes cooks.  She said that lately they have been having the same few meals over and over, which confirms my worries about the facility's supply provider getting them what they need.  She said that she would start stocking up (she gets Wal Mart delivery).  I also told her to stock up on cases of bottled water.  You just can't be too careful.  

I hope all y'all are having a great day.  Happy Friday to you! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've been watching the baby, binging netflix, and doing a bit of cooking.  I was being very good by avoiding buying frivolous things, but then I discovered that they make GLOW IN THE DARK YARN.  I did not know that was a thing.   Yes please Mr. Bezos, send me a box full.  

DH took care of permanent family planning this week and has been walking along all bowlegged. Bags of ice, bags of rice, he prefers cold beer cans and says that helps the most, so we are avoiding the grumpy man with beer in his pants except to offer pills and treats.  In other news, I think I have a hernia.   The last two years have been a health roller coaster.   I just want everyone to all be healthy at the same time.  

• Like 5

Gotta watch that binge watching on TV. I do that and don't get anything done. So, try not to turn on TV during the day anymore

GS's birthday is coming up, so I decided to get out of house and go shopping. Got birthday out of way, and then went to the new home goods store. It just opened not long ago. Nothing like the big one in Newport News. Mostly Christmas decorations. Maybe after the first of year it will start getting better. Started a little Christmas shopping but not a lot. Mostly just walked around the stores looking around at what they had and the prices. Lots of good sales though. I got me some much-needed PJs, and socks. I haven't bought PJs for me in years and mine look it to. Need to head to JoAnn fabric for some flannel. Still haven't gotten there yet. I wanted some blankets, but they didn't have anything that I wanted, so still looking. Made DH a flannel one as he wanted another one like the one that caved to the rag bag. Still have that one. So, might just make some more of those. But wanted some thicker ones for really cold weather.

Got no housework done today. But then I really needed that break. Curtains will still be there tomorrow. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, EmeraldCat said:

I brought up my concerns about potential civil unrest (is it okay for me to say that?)

EmeraldCat. ‘Civil unrest’ is probably the best way to refer to what we could be facing soon.  It’s not political in intent or even content it is one of the threats we should be concerned about.  I’m so glad you can talk to your Mom about being prepped.  👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the turkey tip EmeraldCat. I do have an Aldi up here. Stay on top of your BP. Don't let that $%#&^% win!  :hug3:

I binge watch every now and then. A good spirit lifter if done once in awhile. I rarely watch TV so there are so many shows where I haven't seen one episode yet. Now I'm saving them to binge watch in my old age...next week.   :grinning-smiley-044:

I got quite a bit done today. I went to the bank to cash a check. Went inside and forgot for a minute why I was there. Oh yeah, the check. looked in the purse and it was gone. I had taken it out to keep from carrying it around. So I used the inside ATM to look like I knew what I was in there for. Resourceful if nothing else. Sigh. Will have to go back next week. 

Went to the post office and over to Good Will to pick up some paper work that they were out of the last time I donated. I might be generous with my donations but I do want my receipts for tax time.  :pout:  That's all I had to do before closing times. 

Went to the food bank for a small donation. They have it at our local Lutheran Church. They have a table with bins set up outside under an over hang and you can just drop off there any time. Some people just donate 1-2 cans and I'm sure it is greatly appreciated! I like their set up. Easy Peasy.

Got the Jeep gas tank filled up. OUCH. Couldn't complain too much as I have been driving around on Indiana gas this whole time. Fewer trips around town helps. Then to the car wash. It was filthy. I just go to the DIY drive through and hose it down myself. I'm afraid I'll mess up the auto ones. Not sure I can keep the wheel in the track.  :rolleyes: 

Glow in the dark yarn? Never heard of it either. Now we can knit in the dark when an EMP hits and the power goes off. Mind of a prepper. :D

Must be the season for yarn shoppers. I checked my stash a couple of days go and I hardly had any. A few odd balls (speaking of which, hope Mr. Euphrasyne feels better soon) here and there and only 2 skeins that matched. I went over to Wal-Mart to check them out and was floored. I remember when they used to have both sides of an aisle completely full. Now they had one side of an aisle about a quarter of the aisle, half full. I ended up at Michaels. Yarn has gone the way of everything else...expensive. Dang. I bought enough to make a couple of things and to try some more things. I want to try to improve my knitting and crocheting skill. Will be easy since I only know the basics. 

Later in the evening son and G-son called. G-son was pretty excited. It seems someone (:hi:) had sent him some super hero socks. They have a little super hero cape sown on the back of them that goes over the back of the shoe. He said, "Grandma, I have a pair on right now and I can run so much faster."  :24:    I'll bet you can son. I'll bet you can.  ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Today was payday and I had some errands to run. Didn't get out in time to get all of them finished, but I did hit two stores that I had intended to go to. I wanted to get to the Dollar Tree and Safeway, and since they are in the same shopping center I did get to both of them. :)

I wanted to get to the dollar store because I was getting low on facial tissue, and because I still needed a few things to complete making my ornaments. You had to be very careful in choosing your boxes of tissues! The tissue count in the boxes ranged from 125/box to 175/box and they were all mixed in together on the same shelves! :blink:  I found 5 boxes of what I already had at home - 160 tissues/box, plus I picked up some misc things that I needed. It is surprising how quickly a "few" things can become expensive - especially now since getting four items is now $5 instead of $4!!!

----------------

Then I went next door to Safeway. They were having a "Mix & Match" sale and I wanted to get some candy for a good price. I got some SF Russell Stover bags of candy for $1.48/bag instead of their usual price of $3.49/bag. (I normally buy this brand of candy at either WMart for $2.18/bag or the dollar stores.)

candy.JPG.27ce4885fc6a0efeb41a3e9b635fb029.JPG

Safeway also had 80% ground beef on sale for $3.79/lb and I wanted to check it out. I wasn't intending to buy any because I wanted to check out Winco's prices first.

321545441_beeftoo.JPG.217fa082e45e3399d5459334e190a311.JPG

To my surprise, it was on sale because it was $5 Friday and I got it for $2.50/lb!

beef.JPG.c72b1553d453296fbff9e9cc37ab3ca9.JPG

I was a very happy camper. On top of that, I had a coupon for $5 off of a $50+ purchase. My original total was somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 dollars and I only paid $58. That is some serious serendipitous shopping!!!!

IMG_20221104_203204654.thumb.jpg.e82d9e07ff64ab28abb439d0c5ee099f.jpg

----------------------

Winco usually has a very good deal for Thanksgiving turkeys; but not this year! You have to spend $125 to get a free bird!!! :faint3:

turkey too.JPG

Safeway, which is usually way more expensive, only requires a $25 purchase. But even having to pay "full" price for a bird will only cost you between $32 and $35. That's a far cry from $125!!!  :yum3:

turkey.JPG

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 5

Glad you got some good deals! I have some tissue that I bought at the beginning of Covid. I'll have to check the count out of curiosity now. I got them at the Dollar Tree back then. I think they are Puffs. Or could be Kleenex. I got them for emergency TP back when there was a run on it. 

I'm amazed every time I go through the checkout. I rarely get out of the grocery store without spending less than $100.00. And that's for one bag. Prices are insane. I don't have any of the big chain stores around me either. No Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Albertsons, WinCo, Safeway etc. Not even a Kroger. Not a lot of competition. Same thing in Indiana where I'm at. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5