MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Miki, are you building a whole new step? I thought you were only repairing a small area of one. Princess Peanut Butter goes to the beauty parlour more often than I do. I go once every five years for a cut whether I need it or not. LOL.  I always said my dog got much better health care that I did too. I often wished her vet was my doctor. Congrats on your eye exam. 

We have an area at the  bottom of the  steps outlined  with  logs and filled  with  pebbles. I'm quickcreting over the  pebbles. Hoping to  help keep  dogs  nails  ground  down so they are  clipped  less often. Oreo is the  problem. He has to be  sedated just to  go to the  vet. DH and I both have  hand tremors even if we could get  near him with  clippers. He's a  lot for us to  deal with, but he's  ours. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see. That makes sense.

I always had to take mine in to get her nails done too. Hers were black and I couldn't see the quick. Plus she would always act the fool and start pacing and drooling and if I held her paw she would keep trying to jerk it back out of my hand and scream like a banshee. All of that before the first click. By the end, we were both a nervous wreck. I'd take her to the groomer and she did it on the floor right in the lobby. Muffin was so distracted by the new place she didn't even notice what was going on. Five minutes and $5.00 and we were out of there. Once a month...worth it. It's probably $20.00+ now days. 

• Like 3

Was up really early this morning to get some cleaning done. Washed load of towels. Cleaned bathrooms and going through the last of some boxes of papers to sort and get rid of what I don't need to keep.  Waiting on the owner of the construction company to come by as I said I wanted an itemized list of everything that was done in house. Was supposed to come at 1 pm but it got changed to 3 pm today. So, gives me a bit more time to get things done before they get here.  I needed a break. Been at it all morning. I hate that it gets dark so much earlier now. Seems I get tired more in the early evenings and that is when I want to sit down and relax to read a book or watch a movie. But end up too tired to do either. Might just be that I am not used to this time change yet. The fall back gets me every time and takes longer for my body to adjust to it. 

Need to start thinking about Christmas presents.  I have no idea what I am getting anyone for Christmas this year yet. So, need to sit down and figure that one out very soon as I need to have things delivered to out of state family. Seems this will be the first Christmas that it will only be me, GS and DD and SIL here for Christmas. The 2 on west coast will not be here though one said she is going to try to be here but weather will make that decision. Hoping that GD in Washington can make it here and back. Her DH is in military also so not sure how all that will work out yet. Work comes first.  The other GD and her DH live in SC now and his grandfather is not doing well at all. So, they are going to spend Christmas with him this year. So, they will be in New Orleans this Christmas. Step GD that lives in CA still will not get on a plane because of covid restrictions and she is also working 3 jobs. One job she owns in cyber security. So, she stays very busy. Her DH works for Apple computer and is also working all the time. Maybe I will be able to go visit them when things calm down around here. She has been wanting me to come up to visit. Would be a long trip but would be fun. 

• Like 6

Yes time to think about the holidays! Glad you will have some family home for Christmas Littlesister!

I am flying out with my youngest to visit my Dad and also my oldest daughter in OR. Will be coming back Christmas Eve so that will be interesting timing. I will want to get everything wrapped and ready to go before I leave on the 17th. One of my kids is flying to France for the holidays to meet their partners family so that will be interesting too. Things change over time and I am committed to being as relaxed as I can be about it this year. 

Miki and Jeepers my Beagle used to be terrified of getting her nails done. I ended up getting a muzzle so I could keep from being nipped at when I did her nails. My current pup thankfully is used to it and I haven't yet nipped the quick so hopefully I can keep that up so she is never scared. Worth paying someone if it's that big of a stressor for you both!

• Like 5

While my computer is still a bit weird  ...don't know if it's what we did or ...???  Anyone know how I might turn spell check back on?  :gaah:   I'm rotten at recognizing spelling.  I think I learned to read "whole word". 

Anyway, good news, I seem to be over last weekend's cold?...or "flu"?    But spent energy going "in town" for grief counselor appt.  I still tire easily but there are so many valid reasons for my fatigue, who knows when I'll get back to "my normal".  This too, shall pass...eventually.

Next problem [besides the dratted stuck-open window] is getting ready for winter.  We've had the pond freeze and thaw multiple times.  It's usually solid by now so ducks/geese have had extra pond time this year.  New birds.  Don't know they'll be stuck in duck house/yard all winter pretty soon here.  :duck1:    Ducks continue to lay their bitty first eggs but we buy more too.  Forgot how hard you have to smack the shell of a duck egg!  But tasty with bright yolk!!! 

Anyway, it's giving us a false sense of lovely Fall....instead of Winter Cometh!  :frozen:  :santa:      WHERE did Oct go?  I'm still in September!  :buttercup:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 6

Becca_Anne, I always had beagles. Muffin was one too. Next dog will most likely be one. I love those dogs. Unfortunately they are too cute for their own good. Too easy to spoil. They have me wrapped around their little paw.  :grinning-smiley-044:

I had big plans today. I don't know why I do that to myself. They never pan out. 

I finally got back to the bank to cash a check. Tried last week but forgot to take it with me. I knew today was Veterans Day but forgot. Bank closed. Empty parking lot should have been the first clue. But no, I have to go yank on the door. Doofus. Maybe next week. Went to Ollies but they didn't have what I needed. Went to Lowes and they had the weather stripping I've been searching for. I think it has doubled in price since the last time I bought it. I had plans to go to Michaels to get some small shirts for G-son. Their tee shirts for kids are only $3.00 and plenty good enough to play in. Even for school really. I wear the adult size all the time. I get mine for $5.00 on sale. Then I was going to Bed Bath & Beyond for an under sink liner and over to Best Buy for a new phone/Kindle charger cord. It's all within a couple of miles of each other. 

But when I got out of Lowes my Jeep would barely start. Scared the stuffings out of me. I didn't even have my phone with me to call a tow truck. After about 8 cranks it finally started. Whew. So I swing in the D.Q. drive thru for a Blizzard and high tailed it home. I think the battery is only 2-3 years old so I don't think it's that. Crimony. When I got it in the garage I shut it off and waited a couple of minutes and it started right up. I guess I'll find out tomorrow where we stand.

I got out of the car and took my Blizzard in the house and I'll be darned if I didn't trip in the garage and fell. I'm fine just some sore knees, but lost some of the Blizzard on the floor. Mostly just the whipped cream part so I was glad that was all. My taste buds are still wonky so it didn't even taste good. I should have stayed in bed today. 

I always check my hometown obituaries. I lost two of my classmates within the past two weeks. Both 70 years old. And an Amish buddy from Ohio last month. He was 81. How did those other people get so old?  :unsure:

I leave money under my door mat for the lawn guy every Wednesday night. He mows on Thursday unless it rains and then it's Friday. He came a day early this week because he had a doctor appointment. He called today to explain. I said it didn't matter to me. The money is there when ever he wants to come by and get it. He said, "Thank You Sweetie." Awwww. I didn't take offense. He is a nice kid in his 30's. But it was kinda cute and nice to hear for a change. Especially after the day I had. He can be my Hunny Bunny from now on.  :008Laughing:

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

My DH and his dad raised beagles for rabbit hunting. They had about 20 of them. Those dogs were spoiled. DH's hunting days were over though by the time I met him. He got into fishing with his cousin after we got married. Lots of deep-sea fishing. Kept the freezer full of tuna and other fish back then. Those were the good old days. All just memories now.  But good ones. 

Mt. Rider glad you are feeling better now. You have had a rough time of it past few months.  Hope it's not your alternator going bad on your Jeep. 

I found out yesterday that I lost a classmate also. She was 80 years old. So will be having a funeral to go to but won't be until next week as she had a lot of out of state family that is still trying to get here. I have lost a lot of my Sunday school classmates and if it keeps up, we won't have a class anymore. It just gets smaller and smaller. DH's class had that happen and now there are only 3 left in his class. I think they are going to join our class as that is what they always did when the Sunday school teacher couldn't be there. Now that classes Teacher is home bound, so they don't even have a teacher any longer.

Got a lot done today and even sewed the holes up in GS's old favorite blanket. And don't laugh, it's a crib blanket he has hung onto forever. He uses it like a throw when laying on couch to watch TV. That blanket is on its way to trash can. It is so worn out. But he loves it. Crazy kid. I got him a new one for Christmas. I have one on back of couch and he loves that one to. And NO, it's not a crib blanket. :laughkick:

The owner of construction company came at around 3:30 and we went over the bill. I had some things that I had to add on as the job was progressing. But much better than I thought it would be.  A few thousand less than I thought.  Sigh of relief.  

• Like 4

Add me to the losing old friends category.  My last Aunt died at the ripe old age of 97.  My first playmate(neighbor) that I remember died in her mid 60's and my last high school boyfriend is gone now too.  So many in a short period of time.

It is finally a bit cooler but still very nice.  They keep predicting rain but all we get is  little drizzles.

Since DH has died I am becoming a recluse. Yesterday I made myself call some folks to catch up.  It seems like everyone is having problems and suffering in different ways. We didn't even get to politics!

Have a nice weekend ya'll.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

20221111_172908.thumb.jpg.b4fd104790c142dbc57ff87cb7c6c374.jpgWill walk when rain stops. It's as warm as it's going to get today. 53 for a high.
Have a chicken cooking in crockpot to broil in oven for a few minutes for rotisserie chicken.
Will cook some turnip and mustard greens that I got yesterday. They are huge.
Hopefully, going to discount store in Louisiana a little later.
No homesteading chores today, just regular ones.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:08 PM, Jeepers said:

It's probably $20.00+ now days.

Aninja's nails are black.  It costs $10 when she has them done.

17 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

I ended up getting a muzzle

I wish I could put a muzzle on him.  Never could without getting bitten.  That is why he has to be sedated with 3 different pills when going to the vet, starting the night before.  

15 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Anyone know how I might turn spell check back on? 

I would have to google it.  LOL

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

$10.00 for nail trim isn't bad. Only $2.50 a paw. Worth it. Next dog I get I want to get her used to the grinder as soon as possible.

Those turnip greens look so nice and healthy. I love them boiled in bacon grease with a splash of vinegar.  :yum3:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those turnups look great Miki. 

Jeepers they are having a Jeep show in VA Beach. First one ever I think they said. Hope you figure out your jeep issue soon and it's not an expensive fix. 

Taking it a bit easy today. Did go through a few things in bedroom this morning. Thinking about just totally emptying my closet and starting over. 

Momo, I know where you are coming from. It will be 2 years next Valentine's Day since I lost my DH. I didn't want to do anything or go anywhere. I stayed home for almost a year in 2021. Only going out when I had to. Then the beginning of 2022 and construction started in March of 2022. That may be what started to get me going again. It's been a hard struggle, but I am slowly getting back to normal, I think. Grandkids have been in and out so much that I don't have a moment alone anymore. I still have my moments but don't last as long as they used to.   I have lost all my aunts and uncles now and 4 cousins. Family getting smaller and smaller. Time for great grandkids and they are taken their sweet time on that. 

We used to have about 30 family members here for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. As time went by, we lost brothers and sisters, my mother also. Then grandkids grew up and some off to college and then one moved to CA, one that is married, and her DH in Navy moved to Washington state, one in the Army and now the last GD married a year ago and now living in SC. Now that it is just me and GS still living here. We are starting a new tradition. Thanksgiving at DD house which is a 2-and-a-half-hour drive and Christmas at my house. So, GS and I will be gone the weekend of Thanksgiving. Though we will be coming back home on Sat. evening as GS has to work on Sunday after Thanksgiving. But it will all work out. 

I need to get back to that room but thanks to Jeepers free Amazon book list, I got the book 2029. Couldn't put it down. So, before I knew it, it was 3 am. That is a good book and so funny at times. but at same time it tells of how things could happen here and around the world as well. That is a great read. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mt Rider so glad you are improving a bit! Wish I knew how to help you turn back on your spell check.

Jeepers so sorry you fell and glad you didn't get seriously hurt. Some days are just like that. Hope your jeep starts ok for you. Car troubles are no fun.

Littlesister glad you have family nearby. 

Miki those are some big turnip tops! I've never tried the greens just the turnips and never cared for them. 

Glad to see you posting Momo! :hug3:

Today I went to Quilt Guild meeting, then out for lunch with my crafting friend and we went to our favorite thrift shop. Got a bunch of fabric and some sweaters and Christmas decorations for under $30 so I was happy. I found some nice heavyweight fabric I want to use to make into an apron. Just need to cut it out (will use my current apron as a pattern and then sew it. I think I'll do that next weekend when I go to my sewing group. I'm having such fun learning to use my machine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Momo, I'm sorry for all of your losses too. My family (cousins) are all aging now and I won't really be too surprised to see them...well, you know. Most of us are in our mid 70's and a few right around the 80 mark.  :sigh:

Mt. Rider, I don't know how to fix your spell check. I've had it happen to me a few times but somehow it always fixed its self after a few weeks. Nothing I did helped.  Maybe restart your computer?

I had a good day today. The Jeep started right up. Whew. I'm still leery driving it though. It's tough when I'm here alone and if I have a break down I don't have an alternative ride. I went errand running and was sweating bullets every time I stopped. One time it hesitated once but started. If it continues next week I'll call to see if I can get a diagnostic test run on it. It really doesn't owe me a thing. It's a 2005 and I got it used and I've only had a couple of batteries, a couple of brake jobs, the pneumatic back window thingy replaced and tires. And it has over 90,000 miles. I guess it's time.

I got to the bank finally. And to Bed Bath and Body for the plastic mat for under the sink and some flavored coffee. Maple Pecan, Caramel Apple, Pumpkin Pie Spice and something else I can't remember. Across the parking lot to Best Buy for a phone cord. 

I went to Michaels for some Tee shirts. They are really nice shirts. Not too thin and very soft. They are pre washed but they will shrink in a very hot dryer. I can wear a medium but I always get a large because I like loose clothes. And they do run big. I got some more for me @ $4.99 a shirt and 8 for G-son @ $3.00 each. Nice colors too. They have toddler, youth and adult. If you have a Michaels you might want to check them out. 

Went to Meijers for some fruit and picked up a couple of throw rugs that I badly needed. They were regularly $15.00 but 20% off. Woo-Hoo. And a pack of undies for G-son. I'm having such problems with his socks and undies. I find them on Amazon and I read the reviews and there is always something really wrong with them. So I got one 10 pack of Fruit of the Loom at the store and all I need now are socks and he's done with clothes until at least a year. I'm having the same issue with socks on Amazon...bad reviews. 

I swung by the gas station and topped off the tank. Anyone else drive really slow and carefully after they get gas so it will last longer? No? Me neither.  :Blushing: 

Traffic was a mess with a lot of road work still going on and the stores were all packed. It might be normal. I don't know. I try to not shop on the weekends.

Now I'm in for the next few days. We are getting lake effect snow. It really looks like it too. Big heavy wet flakes. Guess I need to call the snow plow guy next week to see if he is still on. I'll bet anything it will cost more this year because of gas prices. Can't really blame him. 

• Like 5

I live in those shirts all year around. Usually in the winter I just layer them with a long sleeve shirt. They also have long sleeve tees. They only had one in my size and it was $10.00. Their shirts were really picked over. I don't know if it was a supply issue or if people are starting to remember about them. But I couldn't beat 8 new little kid shirts for $24.00. And they are nice colors too. I haven't had any problems with them shrinking except when I put them in a very hot dryer. I thought they would dry faster. They did...and shrunk about a size. :sEm_blush:   Now I dry them on normal and they are fine.  

• Like 3

So last nite we got down to ZERO degrees before I was even in bed.  When I saw that...and could feel the house cooling a lot, I left the thermostat up a bit.  Put newspapers [folded vertically] in front leaky door and a rug at the bottom.  Lot of cold coming in. 

When I FINALLY got to sleep [a real problem with that ...again...]  I slept very sound.  Do not remember shutting off alarm.  Do not remember DH waking me ....  I DO remember when he sent the dog in to wake me.  :sassing:    Then I was late getting ready to ride horse.  Ack!  No time to straighten/calm the freshly washed and slept-on fuzzy stuff sticking outta my head.  So I slapped on my cowboy hat and got out the door.  Later, catching a look at it in the mirror....I reversed it cuz it was on backwards.  :sigh:   Such was the day. 

It was really cold but the sun had warmed it to 45*.  Even the slight breeze was chilly.  Half of the trail ride is in deep forest - no warming sunshine.  I was doing pretty good but chill was slowly sinking in.  I should have put long johns or tights under my jeans....and/or ....ski pants over my jeans.  By the time I tried to swing my R leg over the back of the saddle to dismount....nothing moved.  Ach, leaned way forward and pulled on my pant leg to get the far foot over...   They have a terrific mounting platform and I got R foot upon it.  Left foot is the close one and I had to move that foot with my hand too.  Told R -who was holding my horse...I think I froze to the saddle.  Didn't even try to walk it out.  This is a too cold for my muscles problem and DH helped me down the steps and to the car.  Ow.  I probably got the therapeutic affect but sheeeeesh!  Need to guess the temperature better. 

Pretty worn out the rest of today.  Might have caught a chill and restarted the "cold" I had last weekend.  Or....I'll wake up fine tomorrow.  { I vote for that one!}   I'm taking our preventative stuff again.  Won't have to get up until I wake up tomorrow.  Sleep is the best healer and I aim to get some!!

So far, temp is near 15* now...11pm.  Not real warm in here but I'm dressed in multiple layers. 

:grouphug:  for Momo and Little Sister.  The anniversary of loss can be quite potent with emotion.  As my grief counselor keeps telling me....let it come and wade thru it.  {easier said than done for me!}   Prayers for both of you.  :pray:  

NICE greens, Miki!    {....and I had 0* last nite....grumble, envy, grumble}   :lol:    Nah, I couldn't take your heat/humidity in summer!!  

Becca Anne....that sounds like such a fun day with friend and crafts.  :)  I need to find someone who likes that sort of thing.  DH...erm, not so much!  :lol: 

Jeepers...Hope your Jeep holds on til you can get it looked at.  Better carry a taxi number with you....and a tow place.  $$  :(    Our car needs a new transmission but if we don't climb mountains, it doesn't seem to get into the gear where the computer says is the problem.  DH is working a second home-care client to build up $$ to fix it.  We could do it now but....it would wipe out savings for anything ELSE that might go wrong.  So...we're waiting a bit longer.

Talked to my mom tonite.  She's finally got her desk into her apartment.  Heavy thing but she's pleased wtih it and the new chairs for her island.  Says she feels more like home now.  AND....  :blink:  She's going to the Bahamas for Christmas.  With my brother and niece, of course.  Good for her!  Just a few days but she's never been much of anywhere except Iowa and Colorado.  And Maui once when we all lived there.  Bro and niece have gone to the islands a few times.  I DO hope these late season hurricanes are finished for this year tho!  Such erosion beach damage in FL. 

I think I might TRY to get to sleep earlier tonite.  If not  :reading:  until I do....

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 7

Great idea about keeping the phone numbers handy, I'm going to put the tow truck number in my phone tonight. The place son and I went for auto repair has tow truck service. I don't think we have taxis here but we do have Uber. I had to use them once and they were great. Will add them too. I wanted to back the Jeep in the garage backwards so it could be easily accessible if it needed a jump start, but there isn't enough room. There really is but it is a tight squeeze just pulling it in forwards and It would take me all day to maneuver it in there. It wouldn't be pretty. 

Sorry you got stuck on the horse. I had a pair of those bibbed ski pants once a long time ago. I got them at the Salvation Army for $0.50. They were the warmest things I ever wore. I used to blow snow with them on and never got cold. I still have them but they *ahem* no longer fit.  :sEm_blush:

I'm with you on the sleeping. I'm not either. I used to be okay after I finally fell asleep. Now days I wake up after about 3-4 hours. With it getting dark so early, I have to look at the computer to see if it's AM or PM. Thats no good. 

Wow, your mom is lucky to be going to the Bahamas! I'm sure she will have a good time. Goodness knows she deserves it. She seems to be flourishing where she is now. Good for her!   

• Like 4

Yesterday, we picnicked at Sleepy Hole park.   Pastrami on brown bread with sauerkraut for me and lettuce for the others.   Pasta salad, lettuce salad, apple slices, and Oreos for the kids.  2 big thermoses of sweet tea for everyone.  River had fun sliding, climbing, and swinging.  My knee was acting up so we did not do the nature walk we had planned.  We stopped at a shop in Suffolk on the way home and DH found some stuff he uses for less than what he usually orders it for so that was a win.  I went to bed early because I wasn't feeling well, and DD14 still made stir-fry for everyone still awake.  I'm blessed with that child.  

The weather hasn't turned yet, so we actually had to cut the AC on for a bit yesterday because it was so hot.  Today, I plan to open the windows and air out the house a bit.  My big plans for the day are to clean:  dishes, laundry, bathrooms.   I also need to decide what to make with the pound of hamburger I thawed out for tonight.   Hamburgers, tacos, or poor man's steak are the top contenders at the moment.  

• Like 7

GS has lots of leftovers for dinner tonight. I'm not cooking anything tonight. Leftovers need to be used up. Just heat and eat. I cooked for past 3 days now. So today is a break. He's at work now and will be home around 3 or 3:30 in the morning. So, he can heat up what he wants for dinner or would you call that breakfast. I could never work like that. 

Today has been more of a rest day for me. Just tired today. Was going to Church this morning and I woke up; it was cold, and I don't remember rolling over and going back to sleep. This crazy up and down weather needs to stay one way or the other. It's playing on me right now. And the cold weather is killing my hands. I think I might have to do something about that sooner than later. Need to pull out my special gloves and start wearing them again. They are pressure gloves with no fingertips. So, I can wear them around house to work. And I have a pair I wear to church because when the guys want to shake your hand it hurts. Some of them have a hard grip. But when they see me with my glove on my right hand, they know the arthritis is acting up and are much lighter on the hand shaking. I have more ways to open jars than you could imanage. I have even gone to a neighbor's house and asked her to open a jar for me. That's getting bad.  Tomorrow I will be back at getting more rooms cleaned up. Still lots to do and will be going back up into attic to look around at what is up there and getting those blankets down as well.

• Like 3

My occupational therapist cut me off a large piece of rubber to open things with.  It looks something like this one from amazon and it is amazing.  I can open things again.    I'm still having a hard time using my right hand and I'm learning to do things in new ways.  

Amazon.com: Chuangdi 8 Pieces Rubber Jar Gripper Pads Round Kitchen Coasters Multi-Purpose Bottle Lid Openers, Multicoloured: Home & Kitchen

• Like 3

I have several of those jar gripper pads. They do work but my hands have gotten to a point that I just can't grip things anymore. They said I will have to have knuckle replacement and I am trying hard to hold off on that. But now my left hand is starting to act up. So, surgery is coming at some point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

:faint3:  Drat!  All day long I had to use both quad cane and stick cane to get around.  And that was slow and laborious.  Hey....horse riding is supposed to give me balance and knowing where my extremeties are!  Hmph.  I found my lined, nylon overpants so I'll be wearing them next week over the jeans. 

Littlesister...Hope it doesn't come to surgery.  I have almost no grip for wide jars.  Small hands anyway but there is no grip out at my fingertips.  The grippy rubber things do help tho.  If nothing else, I have one of these....the kitchen one.  A second one is for garage use.  But there is still some dexterity needed.

61P9F4ODagL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg

MtRider   :offtobed:   

• Like 4

I have a bunch of different types of jar/bottle openers too. Some work for me and some don't. I guess it depends on my strength at the time. I usually end up using a bottle opener (church key) to pry under the lid to relieve the pressure and stretch the jar lid up a little. Sometimes the big end fits right under the rim of jar making it easier to open. It usually works. I use it to open my canning jars too. 

Mainstays Stainless Steel Magnetic Can Punch Silver - Walmart.com

• Like 3