MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Miki sorry the shoes didn't work out. It's getting harder and harder to find any with decent quality. The last pair of tennis shoes I bought were Champion brand and were better than most. I have really wide feet so hard for me to find ones that fit, then also to find quality it hard. I'm happy with these so far.

Mt Rider glad you were home when you ran out of gas.

Jeepers sounds like you got some great deals. That cast iron frying pan should last your GS a lifetime :)

Got Ben signed up for 4H and I enrolled myself as a volunteer so hoping that we can start to make some connections with other families in the area. Everyone else I've connected with has grown kids or no kids so I really needed to find something not sports related and this seems perfect.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

My whole family  was involved in  4-H for years!  We loved it (mostly)!  My folks were  leaders and  we had meetings  at our house, did fair projects and took trips. I think you should  make connections through  that. 

• Like 6

EmeraldCat  Late on this but hope all went well with your procedure. :pray:

Miki, when I was having a lot of issues with my feet, I ordered my shoes from Orthofeet.  It's online shoe store and they specialize in foot issues. They have special insoles that are great for painful feet. I have ordered from them a few times and never had an issue. you might have some luck there. They are not the cheapest but well worth the price.

Didn't get to do things I wanted too today. Washed clothes and deep cleaned kitchen.  Got all the clothes put away and then sorted through my canning lids and things. Got all those put away and out of dining room. Got Christmas cards out and sitting on dining room table to write out cards and get in mail.  I also took a short nap today and I don't usually do that. So, thyroid must be a bit off again. Starting to turn cold again. So, wood stove will be going again. Paid bills also. Done for the day. I am still tired this evening.

GD in Washington state said they are getting snow. Her DH in military and they let them go home early due to snow amounts. She said it was coming down hard and fast.

Edited by Littlesister
Hit summit by mistake
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oye....just start to get a handle on one thing....and 2 more come up.  :gaah: 

I did get to sleep quickly last nite!  :amen:   And woke later morning.  :amen:   And then there is the second problem.  My knees and other joints have not been working right.  They don't hurt.  They just don't hold solid...making it very hard to walk, even with two canes.  :scratchhead:  Have no history of that.  

I do have history of tremors...most of all my R [dominate] hand.  My right side is more affected with MS than my non-dominate side.  Kinda equals out tho...might be advantage?  Anyway this is like my whole body gets a massive Fatigue Attack when I try to do just a little bit.  Hmm...wait?  I've had 7 wks of being patient and resting a LOT!  I've done a bit of walking and shutting up the geese/ducks for the night on the 3 days a week when DH is working.  But I've REALLY been careful not to overdo anything.  Just gradually the massive FATIGUE from this crazy year should fade.   Probably not quite yet but should be happening. 

Instead I seem to be even more sensitive to doing anything.  I took a basket of laundry to bedroom to separate and put away.  Not that much but I could barely finish.  By that time I was gasping for breath, shaking like I'd had my wits scared out of me, and barely able to stand on wobbly knees.  Shuffled quick to bed and got in it!  Trying to assure friend on the phone that I was safe and somewhat ok. 

THEN in a while, DH came in to take me down to my stuck truck.  Seems it was NOT out of gas  [unless the refueling fairy came for a visit] and it had started right up.  [we haven't figured that out yet]  So I carefully got down steps and rode down with DH in car.  Truck was running and warmed up but we'd gotten 3+" of snow last nite.  STEEP CURVY driveway.  :)  I remembered to turn the knobs on the front wheels for 4-wheel drive.  Set in correct gear and went up the hill with no problem. :amen:   By now I'm shaking so bad I can barely walk.  DH helped me up to house....where I again collapsed into bed.  He would have gone down for truck but his back was in total spasm after doing all the snow removal from porch, car, and around duckhouse.  He was wheezing with pain. 

Aren't we a jolly pair.  Sheeesh, we're not THAT old!  After an hour's rest in bed, I was able to sit in Living Room chair and talk to mom.  Help DH clean out pellet stove that was not blowing well enough.  Cleaning it didn't help.  Something is wrong with the blower.  Pellet stoves are based on a forge ....air blowing to keep a hot flame in that tiny iron firebox.  Otherwise they are a pathetic fire that doesn't get enough draft to get up chimney.  Not safe.  And not warm!  :frozen:  :gaah:  Have to call property managers...  But...not our dime!  :amen:  

So as our temperature had already plummeted zero at 8pm this evening....we didn't have the auxiliary heat of the pellet stove.  Furnace is up a bit higher than normal.  :frozen:   Not real toasty in here so I'm going to bed soon.  Wobbly and off balance....  :imoksmiley:    I'll be talking with doc in a week.  Maybe this will go away?  :pray:   Or....maybe I'll have to break down and submit to an MRI.  Maybe another round of steroids?  Hmmm.... not real excited about so much chemical in my system but....not sure of my remaining choices.  We'll see.

MtRider   ..... old age ain't for sissies!  :shrug: 

• Sad 7

Sorry you are having feet issues Miki. I have a friend who swears by New Balance shoes. They are available most places so maybe you could go try a pair on without buying them just to see?  :shrug:

Sorry you are having issues too Mt. Rider. Maybe an MRI wouldn't be such a bad thing. Perhaps they could find some better solutions med wise. Complete blood work to see if something is missing there? Is your horse riding off for the winter? Any indoor arenas in your area? :sigh:   Hopefully your sleep pattern is getting straightened out!  

• Thanks 2

EmeraldCat hope your procedure went ok!

Miki thanks I am looking forward to it. I hope you can find some shoes that work for you

Littlesister sounds like your day was pretty productive!

MtRider oh no that sounds like your body is needing a really deep rest. I hope that you start to feel better soon.

Focused really hard on work this week got a lot done the last 2 days. Really tired physically and for whatever reason my asthma is acting up so I'm going to take it easy the rest of the week. I am wondering if it was exposure to mold when I was raking leaves. They were wet and I know that is a big no-no per my allergist for me. Honestly he told me I couldn't garden but it just isn't possible for me to follow that so...I guess I'll have to try wearing an N95 when I'm touching anything potentially moldy and see if that works.

• Like 6

Becca_Anne, the first thing I thought of was all the leaves you have been raking. 

My space bar on this computer is sticking badly. Nothing I can't work around but if you see some run on sentences that I miss, that'sthereason.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Jeepers I have several keys that are sticking bad. This is an old computer. Mine are mostly the numbers. 

Mt. Rider.  :pray: for you and your DH. Seems you just can't get a break.  When you see the doctor next time maybe should be tested for ALS also. I know it is the MS that is causing your issues but some of what you describe makes me wonder if more is going on. I pray that it is nothing else happening. But it is taking you a long time to recover and get back to a more normal state. Yes, we worry about you. Hoping your DH is doing much better now. 

Miki hoping your feet are doing better now also. 

Getting things together to start writing Christmas cards this evening.  Finishing up on the reef for door also. Getting some more boxes emptied and out of the way. My garage is a nightmare. Need to get all the boxes broken down and recycled before next Thursday when recycle picks up.  Just going through things and getting them off counters and tables and put where they belong. Otherwise, I am taking it easy as my hands and lower back are killing me today. Think I overdid the heavy lifting yesterday. Would have DGS helping with that but he sleeps during day and works nights so not a lot of help and I didn't want to wait till his day off on Sat. Needed to get it all done. But I am paying that price. Heating pad is my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 3/18/2022 at 7:25 PM, Dee said:

make biscuits

I've found a 2 ingredient mix that works great for me.  1 cup of self rising flour and one cup of heavy cream.  Dump out on a floured surface and knead, adding more self rising flour if needed.  When dough becomes soft and pliable, roll out and cut.  400 degree oven for about 12 minutes. Might give it a try?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Still working to get stuff sorted out, pitched and moved here.  Hubby's still working pretty much full time at the trailer park, so he does what he can here or I do it.  Chasing the dollar while we still can.  The little place is still sitting there and we had a guy call about buying it.  We decided to sell both of the other places as is, and are working towards that goal.  Abby-girl is doing "ok"...but is really showing her age.  We did get adopted by a cat...he was somewhat feral and came meowing at us when it was so bitterly cold, about 2 months ago.  We set food out for him...a can of tuna.  So we went to the store and bought some cat food and fed him on the front porch.  Was not too long before he became "our cat".  We call him Bootsy.  He is a very dark tiger strip with 4 white feet and a white chest.  When I get up he is usuallu at the front door waiting to be fed.  I feed him 2x a day but sometimes have to stand guard while he eats because of 2 other ferals.  He would love to come inside but I can have inside cata...allergies etc....not to mention Abby! 

Haven't been doing any canning, ust freezer banking when food comes on sale, to re-stock what we have used from our pantry.

I will be calling my eye doctor this month.  The cataract surgery isn't working as well as it was.  The 20/20 eye does pretty good but but the 20/30 eye is not.

I know I'll need glasses for bifocals, but may need prism on that left one.  Well these eyes are getting tired of staring at this little screen on our office pc, so I'll sign off.  Hopefully everybody has a wonderful Thanksgiving.  We did, very quietly right here.

• Like 7

WE2 glad to see you back posting. Seems you have been pretty busy.  And a new kitty as well.  

Fixed dinner and cleaned up then started on doing Christmas cards.  My hands gave out but did get almost half done. Our Church hands out Christmas cards to each other. We don't mail them as we have a box with the alphabet on the cubbies to make it easier to put in boxes that way and everyone just picks up their cards. Then I have the ones I mail out to family and friends outside of Church. Lots of writing. 

• Like 4

Glad to see you We2. So glad Abby is doing well. And the new kitty too. He knew right where come for help. :wub:

Well, all is crappy around here. On Thanksgiving day the elderly dog that belonged to my DIL's mother (she died a year ago) died while DIL was holding him. Right in front of my G-son. Then I just got a text from son saying their 7 year old pom just died. They are all torn up, of course, and G-son is beside himself. They have one dog left who is around 14 years old. I hope she can hold out until after Christmas. But I thought that about the other one too. G-son lost his grandma suddenly a year ago and he lost two dogs within a week of each other and the last one is very elderly. I'm heart broken for him and concerned too. I'm afraid this isn't going to be a very Merry Christmas for them. :sad-smiley-012:

I really can't/shouldn't go over right now because I have presents arriving in dribs and drabs. I think the last one isn't supposed to arrive until the 18th. It was on backorder. I'll go if needed though. If only for a couple of days. We'll see.   :sigh: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
21 hours ago, The WE2's said:

I've found a 2 ingredient mix that works great for me.  1 cup of self rising flour and one cup of heavy cream.  Dump out on a floured surface and knead, adding more self rising flour if needed.  When dough becomes soft and pliable, roll out and cut.  400 degree oven for about 12 minutes. Might give it a try?

I've used this mix.  Makes a wet, sloppy batter like my granny's.  Try White Lily flour.  I don't knead or cut, though.  I do like Granny did and flour my hands, and pinch off a bit of the batter, pat it gently into shape, sprinkling a bit of flour on it to give a dry surface, and setting it on the pan with as little handling as possible.

Note that heavy cream has twice the fat of sour cream.  If you try substituting sour cream, you have to add in butter, lard, or bacon grease to up the shortening factor.

• Thanks 5

Didn't get as much done as I hoped today.  My left arm decided to start hurting if I move it. Can't even hold anything with that hand. Don't know what I did but it hurts from below elbow to wrist with tingling in hand. I just hope it's not coming from my neck. Don't want surgery again. 

Jeepers, so sorry to hear about your son's pups. I know your GS is devastated as well as your son and DIL.  Seems like if something is going to happen it is always around a holiday. I hate that. But it is not in our control.  I know you want to head that way, but with package pirate's you never know. 

I am just not into Christmas again this year. Glad it is only DD and SIL and DGS. I'm just tired and can't seem to get it all together. House is coming along and getting things put away again. But it is starting to play on me. No energy.  Not going to do a lot of decorating this year. Did the small tree and got wreath on door. Will do a few other things and call it a day. Need to decide what to do for Christmas dinner. Kids all said they just want sandwiches and not a meal. I'm used to fixing a meal at Christmas every year, so need to figure something out. Maybe ham biscuits, and turkey sandwiches and shrimp for GS.  Not sure what else yet. Need to get on the ball. Christmas is coming fast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I had another nice long talk with son last night. They seem to be doing okay after losing the two dogs. It was a little worse than I thought. G-son was the one who found the latest one that died. But all things considered, they seem to be doing better than I thought they would. We talked about the dogs in a light hearted manner and joked around about them and kept things upbeat. Then G-son went on to talk about school and Christmas etc. Shot two balls off of the Christmas tree with his nerf gun and got a time out. Back to normal at their house. I love boys. They were all going to a planned office Christmas party last night so they were looking forward to that.  :santa: would be there.

I gave a little talk to G-son about how pets don't live as long as people and how it's normal to lose them and how everyone has to go through these things and it's just a normal part of having pets. How we give them a good life and when their time comes, we let them rest. And we miss them but when it's our turn to go, we will pick them up at the Rainbow Bridge and take them on to heaven with us and live happily ever after. He calls it God's Heaven. And how his other grandma picked up Brody and that they are playing together in Heaven and having lots of fun. A nice happy thought for a 6 year old. He bought it all and we changed the subject. :happy0203:  Whew. 

I could just envision son and DIL sitting around the speaker phone with a big goofy smile on their face saying, "Yeah grandma, tell us more, tell us more!" :24:

I talked to son about getting another dog. I'm glad they have decided to wait a little while. I didn't think it would be fair to bring a new rambunctious puppy around the remaining elderly dog. She deserves some peace and quiet in her remaining time left. I only hope she lasts past Christmas. Dang. I forgot that they also have a 14 year old cat. All the dogs were rescues except for the last one.

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. 💖 

• Like 5

Whoa, Jeepers.  That would be hard to take as adults!  Wise counsel for Grson....and son/DIL.  It's all too sad we outlive generations of our furry friends.  :(

On 12/1/2022 at 10:30 AM, Littlesister said:

I pray that it is nothing else happening. But it is taking you a long time to recover and get back to a more normal state. Yes, we worry about you.

Thanks LittleSister and everyone else.   :bighug2: I'm not too worried about how long this takes for me to get back to MY "normal".  No...not there yet.  We've expected about 4 months, minimum.  Based on past experience with needing to us a lot of adrenaline.  It's been two months since the last trip.   This is why I try REALLY hard not to get into this.....but zero choice these past months!  :pray:    This will pass.  Eventually. 

Still a struggle to ACHIEVE SLEEP each night.  Sometimes I go 4 nights with no problem.  Then a few nights when it won't happen.  Not even with hot cocoa!  Maybe if I try cocoa with whipped cream?????   :happy0203:   I'm keeping records so if doc asks....I have data.  I LIKE data....to see what does, might, does not seem to help.  :scratchhead:  

What does bother me is sitting here and not being able to DO much.  Little bits.  But my BIG organizing needs more than little bits.  Would help if a tornado hadn't gone thru the house this year....... {that's what it looks like}   Hard to find any of the new things I brought from mom's house......like Christmas lights.  Did I ....or didn't I?  I have this tiny tree....  Maybe 2' to it's tippy top.  But lights aren't working.  Doesn't count if there are no lights.  I have no idea if DH and I even have Christmas lights anywhere?  We've always just had Christmas at the folks'.   3 decades...

I'll tell you what's a blessing.  Was reading about the housing market falling...cuz of higher and higher interest rates and such.  So very glad folks' house is sold/final/not ours.  OTOH....maybe we could borrow the living room for a tree and Christmas?  :sigh:    Life's all different now.  ....I'll survive.  The FIRST TIMES after things change drastically are the hardest, I think.

MtRider  ....and it's COLD!  :frozen: 

• Like 2

Mt. Rider it does help knowing that "this too shall pass." I'm that way with migraines. One thing that gets me through them is knowing that it will eventually get better. I know this because it always does...somehow. It isn't permanent. I know, with rest and time you will get better too. Hang in there girl and go at your own pace. 

I also know that the 'firsts' are always the hardest. I know that from past experience and also from watching my DIL go through it the last year after losing her mom. I don't know the proper words to describe it but does get a little easer. Not easier but perhaps "lighter."  

My house looks like a tornado went through it too. I get one little area cleared out and then go shopping and it's right back to square one. By shopping I mean groceries etc. I takes me two days to carry stuff in and then I just plop it down anywhere so I can get enough energy built back up to put the stuff away enough to do it all over again. I'm like a hamster in a wheel running my butt off and getting no where fast. Except I'm not really running. More like a slow walk breathing heavily.  

Hope your sleep pattern evens out soon. I'm sick of mine too. One of the hassles I'm having with mine is sleeping during the day and up at night. Night time is when I'm wide awake and have the most energy. But all of the stores are closed. Like right now. It's 2:00am and if I had wrapping paper I could get that chore done and the dining room table cleared off. But I forgot to by it the other day when I was out. I really miss Wal-Mart being open 24/7. Even our Walgreens is no longer 24/7. I'm sure I'll survive. :pout:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am exhausted.  I promised to take DD14 Christmas shopping and we went yesterday.   It took ALL day.  I think the majority of the shopping is done now.  It was nice to spend time with DD14, but it was a lot of people.  We had a nice lunch out where we split things which is always fun. I think that was the longest DH had ever been alone with the toddler.  He has a new appreciation for my efforts.  

I woke up about 2am and could not get back to sleep, so today is starting early.  I plan to relax and spend time with the toddler when she gets up.   We may make applesauce or apple butter this afternoon since I have several pounds of apples to process before they go bad.  

• Like 5

I'm off to Walmart in a little bit for mass banana bread ingredients. 40 plus bananas, 60 eggs, gallon OJ. That's all I need, but am making them Tuesday so the bananas have to ripen a little.
Then Church.
Walk dogs.
Special Christmas program at a friends Church this evening.
Fairly easy day!

@Jeepers, I'm sorry about the season that your son and family are in with pets.  I think you explained it perfectly for the 6 year old (and me).

6 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

What does bother me is sitting here and not being able to DO much.

Me too!  I'm so glad that I am back to walking.  Your sleep patterns sound so much like mine.  Sigh

4 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

I woke up about 2am and could not get back to sleep,

I'm glad that you all got your shopping done, but those early starts are rough!  Try to get a little rest!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rain…Glorious rain!  30 hours!  Everything is soaked, including the garden!  PTL!  We needed to rain, in a big way.  Wanna see?  
CBC9ABF3-EEF4-4B07-9A11-1C90E3C7D892.jpeg

Left to right… onions, and a bunch of alfalfa, I need to weed out.  :buttercup:
Spring carrots, that will be good until next spring.  Beets behind the turnips, and a couple of volunteer tomatillos.  The coop parts are so I can cover them  with old ratty sheets, when & if we get a hard frost.

Been reading & learning, how to, update our site….so if’n tomorrow you get an error message…. Give it a few minutes…..  I’ll try not to crash the site..:runcirclsmiley2:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
54 minutes ago, euphrasyne said:

Annarchy, I can see welcome to pages, but I cannot comment there.  Just look and like posts.  

@euphrasyne& @snapshotmiki  I will try to fix that tomorrow……. Thank you both for letting me know.  I’m trying to set some things up, a new format for our front page, and when I started it, the program started that topic.  I haven’t figured out how to delete it….yet….  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
57 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Wow Annarchy, your garden looks fantastic! Hard to believe that's out in the desert. Nice wooden border around the perimeter too.  :bow:

Thank you!  Desert winter gardening, beats fighting 110°F summer temps, watering 2-3 times a day.  This year, I planted in September.  Mostly root crops, JIC it freezes, so I might not loose the crops.  I definitely need to pull the plethora of alfalfa that sprouted..  I’m going to use it for ‘green manure’ nitrogen enhancer, soil cover mulch….we shall see how that works.  

• Like 6