MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Hello everyone, and thank you for your prayers! I appreciate them SO much. The procedure itself went okay and as far as I can tell, everything looked good. The doctor wants me to have surgery for my gallbladder, and my anti-anesthesia self is saying NOPE to that right now. I get really sick with anesthesia. I was really upset because I was assured that they would give me an anti-emetic before the colonoscopy. The doctor literally argued with me for several minutes about it, then pushed the sedative while I was trying to talk to him and knocked me out.  He had said he’d give me Zofran (reluctantly), but I don’t think he did because I was VERY nauseous the whole way home and almost threw up in my husband’s car. :yuk: Being emetophobic, that isn’t very fun. It discourages and angers me when doctors literally refuse to listen to us about our bodies. We live in them and we know them best! 

I had some unexpected issues from the prep and procedure so I took last week easy. Now my house is a mess and we have no bread! Today is a gray, cold, rainy day, so it’s a perfect day to get caught up on housework. Vacuuming, mopping, cleaning the kitchen, maybe doing laundry…I’m still trying to figure out if it’s okay to do laundry on septic while it’s raining…we usually only do two loads a day to avoid overfilling the tank, so maybe one load today? I’m also going to grind some wheat and bake some homemade bread. I made sourdough biscuits last night for supper and they are long gone! 

On a happy note, DH and I went to a church for the first time yesterday and we both really liked it! Everyone seemed very friendly and there are a lot of Bible studies and connection groups. Tonight they are having a Christmas jazz concert. My husband is flying out of town for work today, but I may go by myself.  We’ll see! 

I’ll shut up now! :lol: I hope that you all have an AMAZING day! 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Becca Anne, my DH had asthma really bad all his life.  When he worked outside in garden and doing some of the yard work, he wore a mask. It did help. Maybe trying that next time will help you as well.  Asthma attacks are no picnic. 

EmeraldCat, glad you found a church. I know you will enjoy it.  And glad your procedure went well despite the anesthesia issues. I know how that is. Doctors need to lesson to what we tell them and act on that.

I am trying hard to get back into doing church stuff again. I used to be very active in the food ministry before covid and before DH took really sick. And I had to give it up to take care of him. He also was very much involved in the food ministry. We both enjoyed it. Then when covid shut down the churches we had no church for a year. though they did start where you could stay in your car in parking lot and hear the pastor preach. Wasn't the same but then DH got worse, and we weren't able to go for that any longer. Then in 2021 things took a turn for the worst and when church did finally open back up later in year, I just couldn't get myself going again. I am trying to get back into going again regular again.  Just need to get active again in church. Working on that now. We have a new pastor for the first time in a few years. He is really good. And does a lot of things that our church hasn't done in many years. For the first time ever, we are going to have cookie exchange at the pastor's house. So, need to bake up 2 dozen cookies and buy an ornament for exchange. I am so going to go. It is this Saturday coming up.  A lot is now being done for the youth as well as nothing has been happening for them since our youth pastor retired do to health issues. So glad to see that happening again. Hoping it will draw more youth into the church. Then on the 18th we are having our Christmas breakfast for the first time in 2 years. Thank you covid for trying to destroy the churches from doing a lot of things we used to do. But it isn't stopping us now. We are getting back on track again and now even better. I hate driving at night to church as nothing but woods on both sides of street further down from where I live, and it is a long stretch with no streetlights, houses or anything. But I am going to the Christmas Eve service on the 24th anyway. I will get past the dark area of road.  I would like to go to the Christmas morning service, but kids are coming in from out of town so won't be able to make that one.  So, for the rest of this month, I am just going to concentrate on Christmas and not prepping for hard times. I think sometimes it is best to just take a step back and relax for a while. I will concentrate on prepping after the 1st of year again. I just need a break from everything that has been going on in my life as the past 3 years have not been easy on me.  So, Concentrating on Christmas and the celebration of our Lord. And much more Bible reading as well. 

• Like 8

I went to a Christmas concert and get together after last night. It was great and we had so much fun. It really does help get one in the spirit!

Today, already walked.
Going to run around locally for Christmas stamps, flea pill for dog, pay property taxes.
Second load of laundry is already started.
Will clean baths and dust house.
Make one business call.
Nice day!

• Like 5

EmeraldCat, I'm so glad everything looked good for you! I feel the same way about upset stomach issues. I don't fear getting cancer as much as I do the chemo sickness. Hopefully I won't have to experience either one of them. I bought some 'big guns' medicine from overseas a few years ago. You know, just incase. I have some Zofran but it doesn't work very well for me. Same with Compazine. Actually, I'd rather be knocked out but they don't like that option either. I hate when doctors won't listen. :mad:  Best of luck on finding a church. I hope it's a good fit for both of you!

I have a septic tank at my Indiana house. I don't know a lot about them yet so I really baby that thing. Only thing I know for sure is they said to not do a lot of laundry in one day but to space it out over the week. Give it time to do...something. Burp maybe. :P

• Like 7

Jeepers, have you tried Phenergan? It often works like a charm for people who can’t tolerate Zofran or who don’t get much effect from it. It will make you very sleepy, but I the last time I had stomach flu it was the only think that knocked back my nausea. 

I’d be very interested to know more about getting medications from overseas — if that’s something we can discuss! 

• Like 2

I haven't tried it but my cousin had good luck with it when she was dying from kidney failure. I have some but I forgot about it. :misc-smiley-231:  Thanks for the reminder.

Not a good topic here but we can go down in the Edge. If it isn't approved down there I can always delete it. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Not a good topic here but we can go down in the Edge. If it isn't approved down there I can always delete it. 

Jeeper,  why not start a thread in the flu clinic or Nature’s Pharmacy.  There might be others who would have suggestions, both OTC and natural!  

• Like 3

EmeraldCat, I just remembered that you might be too new to go to the Edge forum. Sorry about that. I wasn't thinking. I THINK you have to be here so long or have so many posts. I can't remember that either. If so, I will copy/paste it and send it to you in a Private Message. That is unless the other mods think it's okay to post up here.  Sigh, most days I'm a hot mess. 

• Like 2

Miki I'm sure your house is going to smell amazing with all that banana bread baking :wub:

EmeraldCat sorry you had so much nausea it's unfortunate the medical team didn't manage that better for you. It's a really big issue for lots of people. I'd encourage you to give them that feedback through their complaints and grievance system so it can be a learning experience for their medical team (I work in quality and we do read and act on all of the issues brought to our attention). When we see trends we know we need to do more education or take actions to create standard procedures such as a nausea protocol. Super glad they didn't find anything bad during your procedure!

Jeepers all I know about septic tanks is they need pumping occasionally and to be careful what types of detergents and TP you use (need to be septic safe) and not to do too much at once (like run dishwasher and washing machine at the same time). My understanding is the leech field takes time to let the liquid drain (much like when you have overflowing gutters when it rains faster than they can drain the water). 

Littlesister I think you are right to take some time just to enjoy the season. We can't be on overdrive all the time. 

We2 good to see you posting!

I am gearing up for my trip to visit family and need to get all my gifts wrapped since I come back on Christmas Eve. Just taking Ben with me this time. I have an important work project to wrap up before I go so that's where most of my focus will go. House repairs continue and next up is the threshold of the door which the guy has to special order a double width one to fit. It's almost completely worn through after 124 yrs. I also got two rows of weed blocker fabric down in my new garden space. I have to keep ordering in small batches until I get enough to cover all of it, but budget means a bit at a time which is fine. Otherwise not much exciting going on which is the way I like it :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This evening was a blessing.

A customer came & brought his son (I’m assuming 6-7 yr old.). He had a game counsel, said he won a game of chess.  I told him I had a real chess board & play against myself.  He jumped up to see and asked if we could play a game.  Yikes, I had to dust it off!  :imoksmiley:We played a game.  He was so excited.  I tried to let him win, letting him “undo” many moves, explaining, why he shouldn’t make that particular move.  “Oh!, I didn’t know that!”  We had fun, dad made him say thank you… :buttercup:  He asked if I knew how to play Mancala, I said yes, but I only have the board game, not on the computer…. His reply was “Really?” With a huge smile on his face.  So… probably next time we will play that…. 

I had a wonderful time, entertained a kid, while dad & DH ‘worked’.  :wub:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Annarchy, that is so awesome! He's probably still talking about it. :wub:

Becca_Anne, I don't use any bleach except the bleach wipes for countertops and not very often. I use Lysol to clean the toilets. Tide for the laundry. I can't afford the special stuff. I'd like a bidet but the thought of that cold water...:frozen: There isn't a power supply in that bathroom anyway. Toilet and tub in one room and sink in another. My problem is going to be in the kitchen. I'm used to a garbage disposal and there isn't one out there. I don't think they are recommended for a septic system? I'm not sure what to do with the little scraps of food especially in the winter. Wrap them up and put them in the trash can I guess. I can see that being an issue for me. I had the sellers empty the system before I bought the house so I know it is relative empty. 

• Like 7

Jeepers, we used to be on septic system before city forced us on to city sewage.  I would put Rid-X once a month down the toilet closet to where the tank was buried which was and still is just outside of the main bathroom.  I really helps to keep things running. Just make sure you are using toilet paper that is safe for septic tanks and any toilet bowl cleaners that are also safe for septic tanks. I think most of those are ok if I remember right. If it is raining then yes don't do too much of washing clothes, etc. We only had to empty our tank once over a 20-year period. so that wasn't bad. I never had a problem with washing 3 or 4 loads of clothes in a day if it was not raining but it also depends on how large your holding tank is. The only other issue we had was the cement top to the septic tank deteriorated over many years and DH had to dig it up and rebuilt a new top and that fixed that issue. 

Annarchy, that was great that you and that little boy got to spend time together playing chess. I know he will always remember that. Hopefully you will have a chance to do it again. 

Today, had an easy day. Gave coffee maker a good cleaning, and got kitchen cleaned up again from GS's middle of the night dinner mess. He doesn't always clean up behind him and last night was one of those nights.  Washed clothes and got them all put away.  Then cleaned out the wood stove to be ready for the next cold spell. Was too warm for a fire today, so was good time to clean it out. Did a bit of pantry inventory as I need to go pick up RX at the Harris Teeter and need to pick up a couple of things. But waiting till Thursday to go as it is senior day. We get a discount on groceries on that day. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

I'm not sure what to do with the little scraps of food especially in the winte

Scraps are gold, Jeepers.  So many uses.  You can save all the clean peels and ends in a bag in your freezer and when you have enough to fill a pot you cover them with water and make vegetable broth. Or you can save the peels and plant the root ends of dozens of vegetables to regrow for fresh greens, year round.  The meat scraps and bones you do the same, put them in a bag in the freezer and when you have enough make bone broth.  You can even add the frozen peels and etc to them if you like for extra flavor and nutrition. If you cook the bone broth 48 hours on low you can let the bones dry, crush them or powder them (they will get soft) and use them in the garden or lawn or mix with chicken feed as bone meal.  OR. You start a compost area and put all but meat scraps there along with shredded newspapers, dryer lint, leaves, and grass clipping, and etc. Of course, when you get chickens they will LOVE them, bones and all.  Or start a worm farm and feed them. :happy0203:

• Like 4

MomM, that sounds like a good option. Especially in the winter. They have some very inexpensive bidet things that fasten under the seat of the toilet. They just hook into the water line going into the toilet. A heated one would be nice of course but I don't think that would be possible for my house. That is not without going through a wall for a hot water supply line. And maybe electricity. Makes a squirt bottle sound better and better! I bought some soft flannel for patting dry. I have it washed and ready to be cut and hemmed. I'm not sure what size they should be. And should they be doubled. Like two ply and tacked down in the middle to keep it from shifting. A cute little button would look nice holding it togethert Not very practical I'm afraid. :happy0203:  Wish I had a serger machine.  

Littlesister, I have some stuff similar to Rid-X. I think it's called Green Gobbler or something like that. Right now the tank is barely being used but when I get over there I do plan to use that stuff on a regular basis. The most going down the drain, since I bought it, is bath water. And I usually do one load of laundry when I go over. That washer is huge. Way more than I need. I really don't want septic tank problems. 

Oh Mother, you have me confused with someone else. Worms and chickens? Lawsy woman. :icon19: JK. With just me out there I'm not sure I'd have enough of much of anything to work with. At least not for awhile. I was thinking more along the lines of what you'd scrape off of a plate after supper.  I was taught to clean my plate so there usually isn't too much there. I'd like to get one of those compost barrels you turn. Help keep smells down and animals/rodents at bay. And neighbors happy. Even with one of those I'd have to go out back and to the other side of the garage. Doable in the summer but icy in the winter. BTW, I didn't think you were supposed to put meat in a compost pile? Something about green material and brown material. I obviously don't know what I'm talking about here. 70 years old and I need to learn about garbage. And septic tanks. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Jeepers, you are correct about the meat not going in the compost or to worms but bones from broth are easier to dispose after being boiled and you have a nice broth besides.  Another alternative for plate scraping left overs is to get an outside cat. (or inside for that matter).  Yes, it means feeding them when you don’t have scraps but they can help keep the place free from rodents and snakes to earn their keep and have the advantage over the compost barrel in that they come to you where they are taught.  :happy0203:

• Like 6

So we have an aftermarket bidet that basically replaces the toilet seat.  There is no power outlet in the toilet room.  So...we ran an extension cord into the back corner, up the wall, across the other wall, through a crack in the door, up the wall into the master bath and plugged it in there.  It is fastened to the wall so it doesn't come loose.  Yes we are rednecks.  But we are rednecks with a fancy heated seat, heated water bidet in the master bath.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20221206_144211.thumb.jpg.59ae0efc83bff7ccb203ff79bfe67b0a.jpg20221206_144202.thumb.jpg.ae78c0e6b88398210d97a64b91820b38.jpgIt was hard to even move this morning when I got up. So, I walked first. That helped.
A friend came over and got me straightened out with my online bookkeeping. What a weight lifted!
Walked the dogs.
Have Bible study tonight which I've already read.
Otherwise, resting!

Yesterday was 40 personal size banana breads and 35 loaf size. Should have seen me trying to get them in the fridge and freezer!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 9

Miki, I can see why you had a hard time getting up and moving around this morning. You were busy.   Looks good. 

Have dinner in oven for GS tonight.  Went to the Hallmark store this morning as I needed to buy a card and an ornament for Sat. for the cookie exchange. No time to make anything and all the craft stuff is still packed up till GS has moved out. Have furniture for him that is in way of getting my craft stuff together right now. He is looking into renting a small house as he has found some that are cheaper than renting an apt. He just needs to call owners and check them out.  Got a couple more Christmas gifts off my list while I was out so almost done with that. Then went to Food Lion to pick up a couple of things. Was out of bread and milk. Will pick up RX's at Harris Teeter Thursday and fill in my holes in pantry. It's not much so not much of a shopping trip. Unpacked a couple more boxes and got the hooks up on bathroom door for robe.  Can't do much with a cracker box bathroom but it is what it is. Though much better since the remodel. 

• Like 5

Miserable. That's what I am. Miz-rah-bull. Yesterday I came down with a killer cold. I think it's one of worst ones I've had in a long time. I'm taking all kinds of OTC meds and drinking orange juice. As bad as it is, I am so glad it isn't stomach or intestinal. I need to cough but its a dry cough and unproductive. It just sits there and tickles my throat. Throat is raw from sneezing. It even wakes me up in the night if I have to swallow. I always sneeze a lot but this is ridiculous. And although I'm stuffy, my nose is running like a faucet. That is a new one for me. And Oh My Gosh, every time I doze off I start snoring like freight train. Occasionally, I will make a little snort if I'm sleeping on my back but this is insane. It's almost comical. Almost. I feel chills coming on. As bad as it is, and it is, I'm grateful it isn't intestinal and also that I'm getting it early enough that it should be gone by Christmas. 

I did have to go out shopping for a few items though. Figured I'd better get it done before I become bedridden. :rolleyes:  I finally got some gift wrap. And Ollies put their My Pillows on sale so I picked up a couple of those. I've been waiting on that and the flier came in the mail today so I figured I'd better go get them while they still had them and before the weekend crowd. They can be extras for the spare beds. Also picked up some more O.J. and some fresh fruit and a bag of those little oranges. I'm so miserable that I even wore a mask while I was out so I didn't spread it around.

I'm off to grab my heating pad and some Nyquil and go entertain my self with a snore fest. A little something to look forward to.  :sleep1:

And yes, I  recognize that I'm being pretty pitiful right now. Jeepers The Drama => :darlenequeen:

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Jeepers, you have a right to complain.  Take good care of yourself.  Big warm hugs. :bighug2:

• Thanks 1

Feel better soon Jeepers! As far as the tiny scraps, just scrape the plate into the trash it's just you. Anything else you can just take a small bit of paper napkin and wipe off the plate and then wash and you should be fine. As far as the TP just look up whatever brand you use to make sure it's septic safe most are but some don't break down so best to check. 

Annarchy love your garden space

Miki what a wonderful job with all those loaves baked and ready to go :wub: 

I had a lovely surprise today. I had a greenhouse on my wish list for Christmas and my daddy bought it for me :hapydancsmil: I am so happy as I wanted to try to grow my own seedlings and my house is not set up to have enough space with windows that get enough light to be successful. So this will be fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1