MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Got things cut up and made up a huge pot of soup to can tomorrow. That is in fridge and ready to go first thing in morning. Went out to garage and started breaking down all those boxes out there. Yes, there is a floor under all that mess. Still have a lot to do and go through out there but got a good start today. It was in low 70's today so was a good day for working in garage. Also got a carload of stuff and took it to the Good Will. So that is now done.  Found GS's green batteries that he has been trying to find for a week. They were in his pants pocket in hamper. Glad I checked as he doesn't check his pockets when washing clothes and I have to remind him every time. Boys, they are never organized about anything. Hard to teach them also. 

Got the pepper steak on in the electric fry pan. It is on warm right now. Will be making the rice in a bit. Hopefully will have at least 3 extra meals out of it for GS when he comes home from work each night. This is his first day back in about 4 days so hoping he will do ok with his rib cage. He is still hurting but the medicine the doctor gave him seems to be starting to help a little. Still needs to get into his system a bit more to handle the inflammation. He is still swollen but is getting better. 

• Like 3

Wed evening Chainsaw Mary got a phone call from our prepper friends over near the lake at Possum Point.  Her husband had been watching a TB news analysys show and had seen coverage about things predicted to become very hard to find (if at all) in the coming months.  (Maybe due to CA truck regs, maybe gas prices, he didnt say).  Anyway, it was a very ODD list, but it got Chainsaw Mary all fired up on adding to our food preps.  She had been rather laid back before, believing (hoping) things would not get worse.  She is more of an optomist than I am.  First things first...the list of items that will reportedly be in short/nonexistant supply:

popcorn, potato chiops, beef, frozen fruit, nuts, grains, legumes, starchy foods, peaches, amoxicillin, chicken wings, imported foods & beverages, frozen fried chicken, pickles, plant based vegetarian meat replacements, tyleNol (especially childrens tylenol), fish sticks, cookware and cooking utensils.

What an odd list....b ut then again our prior shortages have been very hit and miss, too.  Anyway, Mary got all fired uo abd wanted to fill in more prep holes.  She even wanted to get ANOTHER FREEZER (this after I had kidded her about getting one for each kind of meat which she had said absolutely not to).  So off to Lowes which said on their website had a 5 cu ft freezer at a good price, three available in store for pickup.

Nope.  Not only none there, but the second choice we asked for from the models on the floor they would not sell us, as they don't sell display models.  Grrr.  Off to the manager to complain about false advertising.  Actually Mary went, she was much nicer than I would have been.  Supposedly there would  be punishment forthcoming for the ones responsi ble to keep the webside consistent to the inventory, BUT I am skeptical, because in her next breath the manager said they could not get anyone to work.  "Everyone wants to stay home and get paid for it".  So much for the "we will fiure you and get someone else" threat....

We were the 5th set of people that day coming in for that particular freezer...

OK, off to our favorite Walmart.  Picked up quite a bit of stuff we wanted, plus a chain and padlocks (to secure generators and fence gates) and another solar powered motion detection yard light.  Sticker shock at the checkout....prices had shot up just in the last 4 days, as expected.  Fortunately there were a few really good buys...totes....popcorn in tins ("only get the ones with reusable tops, the tins alone are worth the price") for $1.50 each.  Boy that popcorn was flying into carts as we watched, LOL.  Then off to our newly favorite grocery store (best meats in town and locally grown produce) where NY strip steaks were on sale along with pork chops, chips (2 for 1 sale), and we found the big bags of dog food there that neither one of our Walmarts seemed to be able to keep in stock  and at $4 less per bag, no less (SCORE!!)  

We filled the SUV.  We had specifically cleared out the back expecting to have a freezer in there, too.

We schlepped it all in and I played yet another round of "refrigerator & freezer TETRIS while I made room for it.  Our 3 freezers are already full, so guess what...time to rotate that meat and start up the canner.  Thank goodness I have cases and cases of canning jars.  So many that Mary had started rolliing her eyes every time I spotted a canning jar sale for the last 3 years.  They will come in handy though, so will those totes ($6 each).  

Good news is, we do not have to spend another cent on food for quite a while.  I also ordered the copper mesh to put on the garden beds for pest control, and we picked up that blacklight.  We are already planning a garden, and Mary agreed we need some more chickens for eggs.  They are nearly $5 a dozen here so Mary has agreed miore chickens might be a good idea.  We can always sell or trade extras.... 

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 7

Walked first this morning.
Went to therapy.
Came home and cleaned bathrooms.
That is about it except to put away jars of dog food done yesterday. Got 21 quarts, 3 pints and 1 half pint. Only one pint didn't seal. 
Company that was coming tomorrow cancelled so I have a free weekend!

• Like 4

Got veg. beef soup canned up this morning. Got 24 jars. Will get them put away tomorrow. Went to pick up RX at Harris Teeter after the soup was done and just left them in canner for pressure to go down while at store. Picked up RX and then walked around store. Talked with a lady that works there putting up stock. She said things are going to get worse and the prices will be going up higher. Said the CA trucking issue is going to hit hard. She also said CA needs to be cut off to be its own state. I did pick up some sale items for GS's boxes of food. I have started a 3ed box for him. He won't eat veg. or veg. beef soup but likes chicken and rice soup, but I don't know if I could make something similar and can it because I am not sure I could can it with the rice in it. So, it was on sale, and I bought him 6 cans for his stash for his apartment. Picked up some table napkins and Kleenex on sale for him as well. He loves the Mexican corn but that was not on sale so will keep an eye out for that. Need to move his boxes to a corner in his room as it is taking up floor space in my pantry that I need. Also got him 10 lbs. of sugar. They had peaches on sale with a 2025 date and I got 8 cans. Put up 4 for my long term and 4 for him. They were 4 for $5. for the Harris Teeter brand. I have been hearing there will be a shortage of peaches and some other fruits as well. So got those for him and me. I need to date them and put them in back of the other peaches for the rotation. Dinner is just heat up and serve so that is done for when he gets home. It's the pepper steak I fixed yesterday.  Will get kitchen cleaned up and counters cleaned off as I am starting to pull meat out of freezers for canning.  I am wondering if I can take some of the round steak I have and can it up with onions. Need to check on that. Looking for a different way to can chicken also. I have loads of chicken I canned raw a while back and want to do something different with some of what is in freezer. Thinking of new ways to change things up a bit. Need to make and can more ketchup as well. 

Also, I can no longer get my diabetic meds. for 3 months at a time because they are having a hard time getting it. I it stays on back order all the time. It is Trulicity and she said they were lucky to get that one. 

Ambergris, I love the chickens. 

Kappy, what chainsaw Mary heard is right according to what the lady in the store was saying. And there was no children's Tylenol to be found. I did see some adult Tylenol and it was on sale, so I grabbed one for a backup. Didn't hear about the beef and the store had lots of beef but not much on sale and what was on sale was high priced. the clerk did say a shortage of peaches was coming but won't just be frozen fruit but canned fruit as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Got clothes washed this morning and mopped floors. Cleaned bathrooms also. Pulled out some pork to make barbecue with as GS wants barbecue. I will be canning some again also.  I have almost finished off what I had made a couple of years ago. I have 2 Boston butts I pulled out of freezer, and they are huge ones. So should make a lot of barbecue. They are in fridge thawing.

Still need to get to my closet and empty it so I can get that painted and set like I need it to be. Shoulder has been hurting from the cold again and is coming from my neck. So, heating bad and resting it before I start that project. 

GS came home from work really hurting in the rib cage as they put him in cooler last night and he was lifting lots of heavy beef and chicken cases.  They weigh anywhere from 80 lbs. up. He said another guy got hurt in the rib cage last night. It was one of the supervisors. GS just looked at him and said yeah, doesn't feel good, does it. He gave GS a hard time about his ribs and really did't believe he was hurt. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Yesterday was fairly busy.
Walked first.
Off to town. Thrift store first, then day old bread store.
Tractor Supply, then eye doctor to pick up new glasses that should have been ready 3 months ago. Glad I have them now!
Quick stop at Walmart- out for under $30-yay.
Lunch with Bible study ladies.
Came home and walked dogs.
Dusted house.

This morning, will walk first.
Bake some cookies (dough already made and rolled).
Take cookies and have lunch with BIL and wife since we didn't get together at Christmas.
Deliver a banana bread to a friend, later.
Add more foil to frozen banana breads so they will keep until later in the year.
You all have a great weekend!

• Like 4

Got a call this morning early from my Sunday school teacher. We lost another member. He was my DH's Sunday school teacher, but they would come to our class when there was not a teacher as his would be out sick or was taking care of his wife as she was in our class. She passed a few years ago. Our Church members are getting smaller and smaller due to illness causing homebound patients and death. We are down to just under 100 members with maybe just over half being able to still come to church. It is sad to see a church going down like this. But it is made up of mostly older people as the children have all grown up and going to college and only in church when they are back home from college. Not many young children at all other than people that are coming in looking around for a church home. 

Pork is still frozen so will just leave in fridge till Monday morning and then it should be thawed enough to get it ready to can. 

Going to repair a couple of shirts and hem a pair of pants today. Do some ironing and then call it a day. Might sit down and do some reading later. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Sorry to hear you lost another member. It seems like many churches are dwindling down to just a few or either becoming mega-churches. 

The last church I was attending lost most of their population to old age and death too. Then the pastor got a divorce and moved back to LA. where he came from. I gave up looking. Maybe I'll have better luck in Indiana? Plus, it's not always easy walking in a new place by yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We gave up the no spend challenge and went shopping.  A lot of shopping.  BJs, Aldis, and The Commissary.   After we got home and unloaded everything, the baby woke up (DD14 babysat while we were out) and saw all the stuff sitting around.   She said in her baby voice 'WOW!"  It was a lot.  We did manage to find children's Tylenol at the commissary.  I got 2.  I would have gotten more, but with the shortage I didn't want to prevent someone who needed it from getting it.  I'll stock back up when the shortage is over.   DD14 got to use her Christmas knives and help chop up all the meat into desired portions and cuts, bag & tag it, and toss it in the freezer....yes the same freezer I'm trying to empty.  ::bangs head on counter::  I am not shopping for at least 2 or 3 months....except for eggs.  I did not buy eggs and will get some if the price comes down.  Luckily I have most of a bag of powdered eggs in the freezer.  

• Like 7

All the BUSY days this week ganged up on me and :faint3: Initially, I could hardly walk with 2 canes.  Too small in here for wheelchair.  But I hobbled around and sat a lot.  Started drinking some Gatorade daily.  Having new symptom of vision going black...like I'll pass out.  Weakness too.  Have to get down to floor or chair.  Even then, blinking....trying to clear vision.  It's just the same as orthostatic hypotention = stand up too fast and pulse rate or blood pressure (?) doesn't automatically compensate for change in position.  I've had that forever...since childhood.  But this...doesn't begin the same. 

I've been having it for some weeks now....so it's on the list for doc.  We'd better have an extra long appt scheduled!  Sheeesh!  But anyway, thot the electrolytes might help???  I drink water a lot.  :shrug: 

Got some sun in my eyes.  Air a bit fresh to stay on porch long.  But can't complain at 40* and sunshine.  Wind across the snow fields was :frozen:  Glad I didn't have a ride scheduled with the collapse today.  This too, shall pass.  Nothing on the schedule til Thurs. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I've been having it for some weeks now....so it's on the list for doc.  We'd better have an extra long appt scheduled!  Sheeesh!  But anyway, thot the electrolytes might help???  I drink water a lot.  :shrug: 

Be careful! If you drink too much water you can mess up your electrolyte balance (aka: water toxicity) and that can mess with your heart rhythms!

A condition that occurs from drinking too much water, upsetting electrolyte balances.

Drinking too much water can decrease sodium in the blood to dangerously low levels, causing mild to life-threatening problems. People who participate in endurance activities, such as a marathon or triathlon, are at risk.

Confusion, nausea, and vomiting are symptoms. Severe cases can cause seizures, coma, and death.

Treatments are fluid restriction, IV fluids high in sodium, and medications.

Here's a link to a pretty good article: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318619#dangers

• Like 2

Have an (almost) free day, today!
No Church- they cancelled due to covid outbreak- none for me thanks! That L-lysine seems to work. People still look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them it works. Oh well.
Doing laundry today because I can.
Probably will not walk dogs today as it is raining all day.
Will watch movies later with DH.
Doing a liver cleanse today- almost forgot that.

Stay warm and dry!

• Like 3

Been a crazy few months with the Holidays and weather. I'm not loving the weather. I need to figure out how to keep myself motivated. I find that I get somewhat depressed in this weather. I took the week off after Christmas to be home with the kids and before that the weather had started in, so worked from home a couple of days. So, I was homebound for about two weeks. I think it has taken its toll on me. These next few months can't go fast enough. I tweaked my back before Christmas so didn't put much up for decorations and such, which I found I actually enjoyed the simplicity of it. Just spent time with my family. I was able to get into the chiropractor a couple of times and go back tomorrow for a follow up.

I found some good after Christmas deals and I was also able to stock up on some meat and bread at Aldi on Friday. They were running some really good deals, like 50% off chicken and chopped steak. I also got three loaves of Italian bread 50% off and a bag of bagels for a $1. I also picked up candy for the kids easter baskets already 50% off and I ordered their precious metal pieces already. Shouldn't need to purchase a whole lot come spring. Just as long as I can remember where I put everything. I learned that if I write it in my planner in the exact month that I am going to need the item then I can find it. Works really well. 

• Like 6

Didn't make it to church this morning as I had been sneezing and a slight cough. More of a cold coming on, so thought it best to not go to church today. It was cold and rainy this morning so best to stay home. 

Made some coffee and set down and read Bible for a bit. Had coffee and then check the pork. Will be canning that tomorrow. Cleaned kitchen and got everything together to can in morning. GS is asleep as he is working tonight. Went out to garage to see what else I could pull out of freezer for canning. Lots of veggies in there still so putting those in dehydrator in morning. Need to order more O2 absorbers. I'm getting low on those. Will do that tomorrow also. 

Been thinking about the garden and making plans. Need to go to Tractor Supply for fencing to put around it to keep the rabbits out. Yes, they are still around. Saw one the other day run out from under the shed across the yard. First time I had seen one in about 3 months. Was hoping they had moved on. So, fence is going up around the garden. They ate more than I could harvest this past summer. So that will be fixed. I hope. Hoping for another warm spell so I can go out and start getting the garden tilled and ready to get the fence up as soon as I make it to the Tractor Supply store. Hopefully what I need will be on sale. Where I plant veggies at back window at the back house, I need to figure out about a fence there as well. Rabbits got all my okra, so I didn't get any of that last summer. Going to see about trying to set traps to catch them and take them somewhere. Not sure yet who to call about that. But they have to go. There were 5 of them that I saw last summer, and I am betting there will be more this summer. GS wants to trap them to eat. No thanks, I'm not that desperate yet. He can go fishing instead of rabbit hunting.

Checking into the chickens to make sure we can still have them. I know a couple of our neighbors has them but haven't been able to catch up with them yet. Hoping they will know if anything has changed. I don't want to get everything set up and buy them just to find out I can't have them now. So best to check on that. 

Hoping this sneezing and coughing will go away soon. I don't feel bad just very tired. But then this to will pass.

• Like 5

Hope resting will cure whatever is making you feel poorly, Little Sister.  Y'know, rabbit tastes just fine esp. if you have some old time recipe and methods.  But supposedly it makes a difference when  they're harvested.  Every month that..............  Anyone know the old tale?  This site tells their version of precautions with rabbits.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/rabbits/fact-checker-is-it-unsafe-to-eat-rabbits-before-the-first-frost

MtRider  :pray:  for Little sister and others on MrsS who are ill...or impending illness.

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jayceef....dull or harsh winter weather is not cheerful.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Hope you can find something that works for you.  I find it helps me to get sunlight into my eyes daily [not staring at the sun] starting in late fall but any time is good.  The pineal gland (sp) in the eye needs it.  Sunshine is more cheerful than the darkening most of us have ...unless we're closer to the equator.  As for simple Christmas...I think there is a LOT to be said for that - taking it slower.  Less pressure.  More simple "HAPPY" and "BLESSED"  and "FAMILY".

Midnight and Jeepers.....  I've had this blacking/dizzy for several weeks now.  Because it's so similar to orthostatic hypotension...I haven't really been concerned.  But...it's not quite the same.  Like at least a couple of OTHER folks on this board, I tend to ignore till it's in the way.  :whistling:  My functioning has been fluctuating so drastically since I returned from my 3rd trip in Oct this year.  A year of grieving and heavy labor/energy expenditure. 

Of course what I'm describing is not normal.  But then....my body Isn't normal.  I just need to find out if this is something off-course that is important to note.  Doc appt is at the end of the month.  [ unless my grief counselor decides I need at least a phone appt - like he did with the sleep issues!]  MRI of brain was completely normal tho.  :shrug:  { some folks might debate that finding tho......}  :laughkick: 

And Midnight, yeah I know about water intoxication.  Sounds weird but a patient at the mental health residence I worked at managed to do that.  If I remember right, it takes a LOT of water.  But....it's serious. 

OTOH, in our arid region with furnace running full on.....we can't keep enough water in us!  Plus I'm drinking Sleepy Time tea before bed.  And Sweet/Spicy if I'm COLD without our pellet stove fixed yet.  :frozen:   I assume those versions of tea are a diuretic like green/black tea?  Dunno.  But it's a good point to remember if someone is in a habit of drinking a lot of water/other stuff.  :bev:  

MtRider....trying to keep regular sleep routine  :offtobed: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Slow day here.
Already made oatmeal for DH breakfasts.
Will walk after feeding dogs.
Will walk dogs at some point.
Go by hospital and pay a bill for x-rays.

I think I will thaw some kind of meat to pressure can on Wednesday.  Still trying to clean out freezer.

• Like 3

UGH. Furnace guy was just here. He couldn't get the furnace going. Looks like I need a brand new one. I'm not going to ask what next because I know it's always something. He turned off the gas too. If 'they' turn off the electricity I'm really in trouble.

The reconstruction guy said they can't come out until the furnace is fixed. And probably the water pipe too. 

I'm too sick to start picking up stuff and it's too cold to do anything in here anyway. The guy was nice but a 'low talker'. I couldn't hear half of what he was saying. I told him I couldn't hear him. He just showed up at 9:00 with out a warning call. I was still in bed. I think I'm starting to get grumpy.

I plan to go to a hotel tonight. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

UGH. Furnace guy was just here. He couldn't get the furnace going. Looks like I need a brand new one. I'm not going to ask what next because I know it's always something. He turned off the gas too. If 'they' turn off the electricity I'm really in trouble.

The reconstruction guy said they can't come out until the furnace is fixed. And probably the water pipe too. 

Sounds like a classic "Catch 22." :blush:

Sounds like it would be best for you to stay in a hotel longer than just one night. :(

:hug3:

• Like 4

Jeepers, how old is your furnace. I hope he isn't just telling you that you need a new one and it is something that really can be fixed.  Might want to get another company to check it before you buy a new one unless it is over 20 years old or something.

And yes, prayers going out to all that are both sick and going through what Jeepers is dealing with. I know all too well about construction no matter how it comes about. 

Still coughing and sneezing but that's all it is. I think I am just adjusting to the weather getting colder again. I am over this Yō Yō weather. No fever but still a bit tired but didn't stop me from things I wanted to do today.

I had not cleaned out my closet in bedroom since the construction was done. So emptied it out and will be sleeping on couch tonight and it was a lot in there where I just put lots of boxes in there out of the way from the bathrooms and such. So, bed piled up and all around the floor is a pile of mess. I want to paint that closet but not sure if I have the energy to do it. Found a few things of DH's and made me so sad today. All his hats he wore while working in garden and a pair of his dress shoes as well as a few other things. Almost 2 years now and when I find things while cleaning out it still hurts. But it will pass to a point it won't get to me as bad. He is very much missed. 

GS went to work so won't be home before 3 am. His rib cage is doing better but still a bit swollen and sore. 

Got my aero garden started but just for lettuce for now while I am figuring it out. Started the organic sprouting seeds and they have already started sprouting in just 2 days. So that is going well. 

Will be laying out my plans for garden hopefully by next week. Then will head to the Tractor Supply to see what type of fencing I will need. Yep, a job for GS. He loves to garden so I am sure he will help me get the fence up around it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jeepers. :pray::pray::pray:

Bought some clear caulking, to seal the windows…. Lots of dust coming in…. Dust storms…. Typical.   Cleaned the kitchen window, good grief it was bad.  DH got up and asked if it was sunny out.  I laughed… he laughed when he walked into the kitchen. “Wow, it’s clean! “  Just a couple of cracks in the caulking that need to be filled.  Bathroom was next.  Major project. Finished & prepped my office windows.  

We got a piece of gravel stop, to put over the door & washer & dryer to divert the frost drippings.  He was about to cut it to size, when the dogs chased a round tailed squirrel into the shed.  He got his pellet gun out, set it up & popped it…..  sadly, it wasn’t a head shot,….  So, tomorrow, I will be cleaning the shed, again… my annual rearranging…..  early… I usually do it around April, warmer weather…..  :sigh:

• Like 3