MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Do you own a sawmill?

Vic303

Not sure where else to ask this on site, but do any of you own and operate a bandsaw sawmill?

DH and I recently ordered one.  Partly for our own use, as lumber is sky-high, and partly as a side gig, mostly for me...

If you have one, is love to chat with you about it.

• Like 2

One neighbor came by this afternoon, saying another neighbor had some big pines he wanted cut down and gone ... 

Word is getting around, and we haven't even received the sawmill delivery yet!  Yikes!

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

It's on the Freight truck!! It should arrive Tuesday!  Just in time for DHs birthday!

More to figure out how to move 1700# of shipping crates from the road edge to the shop... Without a tractor!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Strange as it sounds, jacks and poles.  We’ve moved lots of things that way.  Slow and primitive but effective where it is possible.  It works especially well if the item is crated.  Jack it up on one side, put poles under it and use a truck or car to pull it forward onto more poles.  Continue to pull it forwards as the poles from the back are moved to the front.  Good luck with it. 

• Like 1

Sadly my driveway is gravel and I don't have enough poles.  I have used that method for moving a safe over concrete though.

Currently one of our neighbors with a big tractor said he could help us.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Our other neighbor came over with his tractor and set the sawmill head on the trailer a week ago or so.

We ran the mill they some small cedar logs, and then put an oak log on.  It was cutting fine until it jumped the blade off the wheels and got bent and jammed (aka ruined a blade).

Took an hour or more to sort out how to fix that, put on another blade, and test it to see it it would seat. More adjustments followed.

Friday DH and I took the trailer out to the log pile.  We started again with bigger cedar logs, cutting stickers to rick up the planks we ended up cutting, because the cedar was gorgeous!  DHs original plan was to cut stickers from all the cedar, but it was just too pretty!

Mill ran great, though the blade did Nick a piece of metal, throwing off the set of the blade teeth slightly.  The imperfections in the plank surfaces will plane out.

PXL_20220415_212327804.jpg

PXL_20220415_213338183.jpg

PXL_20220415_214123972.jpg

Edited by Vic303
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh, Vic.  Those are beautiful. You mill is similar to one my Dad used decades ago.  I can imagine them made into all sorts of things.  Fire place mantle comes to mind first.  I know they would make closet linings but they are too pretty to hide away.  A chest!!  :wub:

Thanks for all the updates. We've been thinking about a sawmill since all the oaks are slowly dying from Oak Wilt. A retired forest ranger told us to just sell them or cut them down and mill them before they die. It seems there is no cure for Oak Wilt and it will eventually kill almost all the oaks in our country.  :sad-smiley-012:

• Sad 2
On 4/18/2022 at 9:28 AM, Homesteader said:

Thanks for all the updates. We've been thinking about a sawmill since all the oaks are slowly dying from Oak Wilt. A retired forest ranger told us to just sell them or cut them down and mill them before they die. It seems there is no cure for Oak Wilt and it will eventually kill almost all the oaks in our country.  :sad-smiley-012:

You can slow the spread, and if caught early and have the$, there are antifungal treatments that could save the tree.  If I can find it again, I just read an article on Oak Wilt in Texas, and I will post a link.

Hiya Vic!!!  :wave:   Good to see you here again!  I'm finally home for a while....no tellin' what will happen next in our lives right now tho.

Those cedar boards are BEAUTIFUL!!!  .... :lol:   Yeah, "bacon".   Leave it to Jeepers! 

After watching so many Home Make-over shows at my mom's for 3 wks [we don't have TV]  I can say there are many, many ways to use boards like that.  Coffee tables.  Accent wall siding.  Shelves. 

MtRider .....y'all be REAL careful with that thing tho!!!!  Power saws give me the willies!  :unsure: 

• Like 2