MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lenin or Stalin

DH and I were watching the news on Ukraine this morning.  What a sad and horrible time for them!!!

Anyway, he asked me if it was Stalin or Lenin that did something.  I had no idea and realized I really don't know much about either.  I like historical novels and have read way more than I can count.  Does anyone know of novels revolving around Lenin or Stalin?  I could read non-fiction about them but I'm afraid it would be more factual than a storyline

Keep Reading! :reading:.

I don't know any, recent experience reading A Gentleman in Moscow made me realize I had a gap in my knowledge in terms of Russian Literature as well. I ordered War and Peace and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy as well to try to start addressing that. I think literature is very revealing into the culture and thinking of a country!

Posted (edited)

A Gentleman in Moscow and Red Famine.  I'll check them both out.  Thanks ladies!

I just read the blurb from Amazon on Red Famine by Anne Applebaum and here is part of what was written in 2017.  Seems like she knew what she was talking about.

"Today, Russia, the successor to the Soviet Union, has placed Ukrainian independence in its sights once more. Applebaum's compulsive narrative recalls one of the worst crimes of the 20th century and shows how it may foreshadow a new threat to the political order in the 21st."

Edited by Dee
Add more
  • Like 1