MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

When will it become "Too Late"?

I tend to scan the news every morning and was shocked when I saw the bold red headline on one news site that our government has just announced that there are food shortages coming that will affect every person here in our country. As I continued to skim the various sites, I saw that news mentioned again and again.

What surprised me is that the "prepare now" theme is being said from all types of places, from global leaders around the world, and not just from the places that tend to be prepping minded.

Fertilizer shortages. Grain shortages. Vegetable and fruit shortages. Bird flu which translates into poultry shortages. Coffee shortages. The list is growing and will shortly be endless.

As I read all these news sites. my first thought was to come to MrsS and make a post about time running out. But then I thought, 'well, time has already run out to some extent, with our ability to purchase on a more affordable and availability level, many things we would want to collect'.

This does NOT mean there is no hope. For me, it just means that its getting harder. Ok, so that doesn't bother me because my default instinct is to never give up. I've already witnessed certain sections of the grocery store that have literally been wiped out for weeks. No replacements, no new shipments. These areas, these shelves remain completely bare. That's a weird feeling, which in turn, causes me to sometimes ponder, "how will it feel if I am never able to get "???" again?". I don't know the answer to that because I haven't walked that road yet.

So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, or at the greater risk of appearing that I'ma. "Peter who cried wolf", I want to urge everyone that will listen, to get as much as you can, while you can, as soon as you can. Now. When I start to ponder how it will feel when I can no longer get or enjoy "A, B or C", it feels really, really strange.

For now, I'll continue to assess, reassess, ponder and most of all, pray. I'll commit over and over again several times a day, to doing everything I can to grow a bountiful harvest in the hopes that I'll be able to preserve this year, those things that I won't be able to grow until next year. I'll stop procrastinating about getting the Idiot steer loaded up to go to the butcher, because I'll probably lose half a day trying to corral him into the trailer. I'll make some additional trips down to Costco to bulk buy 'this and that'. And most of all, I'll pray for the Lord's guidance and blessing because He's a Master at doing all that I cannot.

When the time comes and "it's too late", I'll trust Him even then. But this morning, I just feel a burden on my heart to not make you feel more weary at the daunting task ahead, but to encourage you and to remind you, "you got this girl!" and "get 'er done as best you can".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Darlene, I believe a famine is coming soon. Might not be this year but next year for sure. I also heard on a news source that the west coast will have a long drought that has not happened in 1200 years. It will also cause food shortages. Right now, I have bags of food to get put up and still adding. I wait for contractors to leave for the day and go hunt for sales. I have just left them in bags in small bedroom. So, I am working on getting things together for whatever the outcome of this mess happens. I don't see things getting any better anytime in the near future if at all. And then with the lingering thought of WW3 possibly happening, it just makes getting as much food and water as we can. Cyber-attacks on our grid, water and banking system that the news has mentioned as well, just makes it not just getting prepared but that we are starting to run out of time to get it all done. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Darlene said:

Bird flu which translates into poultry shortages.

There is a State Vet inspector at DH's weekly bible study group. This week and coming weeks he's assigned to oversee the destruction of 3 million laying hens and eggs at a plant about 30 miles from us. Nothing goes in or comes out of that place without getting dipped in a chemical. The dead birds and eggs go into a gigantic hole and will be covered up by 500 dump-truck loads of sawdust.  :imoksmiley: The same thing is happening at a chicken farm in IOWA. They have to destroy 5 MILLION chickens.

I guess the bird flu is killed when cooking the chickens but no one is allowed on the farms except govt officials and contractors. What a heart ache for those families who will lose everything. DH asked about all the sparrows coming in to steal all the food laying on the ground and spreading the disease. Silence.  :0327:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Eastern Indiana had millions of chickens destroyed too. But not before it spread to western Ohio.

I'm concerned about backyard bird feeders too. They were ban in Indy last year. Probably again this year. Alot of people rely on the birds, especially the martins in Amish country, to control the insects. 

It is tragic on so many levels. To the birds, loss of income to the farmers and loss of meat and eggs for the rest of us. 

It seems like it's just one thing after another. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I actually called a family meeting with my daughters via Zoom, this weekend. I know that they know how to stock up on food and basic supplies, but I want to ensure that they are fully prepared for whatever comes. I've already written up an agenda for the topics that we are going to cover and the ways in which we might be impacted. For other relatives, I have been dropping hints. I don't want them thinking that I have lost my very last marble!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I’ve been looking back and finding that history repeats itself over and over.  Loosely stated….Spanish flu followed by tough times followed by the Great Depression followed by war.  (WW2) Bird flu followed by tough times followed by ‘recession’ and bank bailouts followed by war. (Desert Storm)  Now pandemic followed by tough times followed by more bird flu followed by inflation followed by……… 

I know that there are variations to this repetition but you get the idea.  I would like to suggest that you do what you can but stick with supplies you will conceivably use and as insurance perhaps some long term storage IF you feel you would use it eventually.  But I also suggest we all take a good look at what we can do to be more self sufficient in a possible severe shortage.  If you need ideas to do that in your particular situation be sure to post a question in whatever forum you feel it fits best and we can all work together to help. 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Homesteader said:

DH asked about all the sparrows coming in to steal all the food laying on the ground and spreading the disease. Silence.  :0327:

That just blows my mind.

• Like 2

Looks like there will be an even bigger shortage on chickens. I heard a little about the bird flu happening again. If it's not one thing it's another. Watching fox news tonight and it's not good. That's all I can say on that. 

Mother, you are 100% right about history repeating itself. Things might be different in ways in today's time, but still the same history. I have always thought that people back in WW1 and WW2 that people back then had many skills and many homesteaded and had farms. Today they think food grows in a grocery store and just run to the store for what they need, and some do not keep more than 3 to 7 days' worth of food in their homes. A time is coming where running to the store will come to an end when the real food shortages happen. It will get much worse. People will do desperate things when they are hungry and watching their children starving.  It will be dangerous times in more ways than one.

• Like 1

I had heard of the bird flu happening and shortages. However seeing empty egg shelves at Walmart yesterday made it real. I have an open can of powdered eggs I have been using in baking. But, I think I am going to order some ova crystals to have on hand. DH likes his eggs and from what I have read those are the closest to resembling fresh eggs. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I have the OvaEasy Egg Crystals and they are good for baking and for scrambled eggs. I haven't tried making an omelet from them but I'm sure it would be as good as the scrambled.  I haven't tried any other brand but I've heard other people say that for dehydrated eggs, they are the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

I have the OvaEasy Egg Crystals and they are good for baking and for scrambled eggs. I haven't tried making an omelet from them but I'm sure it would be as good as the scrambled.  I haven't tried any other brand but I've heard other people say that for dehydrated eggs, they are the best. 

Just bought some! Thanks! We used to buy them from the amish bulk store in Shipshewana, Indiana.  :thumbs:

• Like 2

Yes to Shipshawana and to E&S.  A wonderful place to stock up in. 

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I go to E.& S. every time I go there. And Lolly's Fabric store. And Yoders Department Store and Yoders Popcorn. Yoders Meat And Cheese. There used to be a bakery there that had the softest cookies the size of saucers. I can't remember the name. Maybe The Bread Box. Probably Yoders Bread Box. LOL

• Like 2
On 3/25/2022 at 11:50 AM, themartianchick said:

I actually called a family meeting with my daughters via Zoom, this weekend. I know that they know how to stock up on food and basic supplies, but I want to ensure that they are fully prepared for whatever comes. I've already written up an agenda for the topics that we are going to cover and the ways in which we might be impacted. For other relatives, I have been dropping hints. I don't want them thinking that I have lost my very last marble!

I have been telling my boys the same but not sure they are taking me as serious as they should. One lives out of town but the other lives a mile from me. I have been buying with that in mind. The people I work with are absolutely clueless….STILL. One talks about literally not having anything in the house to eat since his wife went back to work and they have young kids. They make jokes about it. I keep my mouth shut. These are educated people and the majority of them have served in the military. They think the gas going up is no big deal and it will come down in a week or so. They are just going about life traveling and buying $500 vacuum cleaners and gadgets. SMH

it seems “THEY” always hint at what’s coming or tell us in some way but “THEY” are literally in our faces telling us about the food shortages and the hints about cyber, nuke and EMP type threats are getting louder. At this point with the way things are going I would not be surprised to see pigs flying through the sky.

• Like 5
On 3/25/2022 at 3:15 PM, Darlene said:

That just blows my mind.

I found out more from another Vet at church this morning. They (whoever that is) think that the random bird flu outbreaks are coming from migrating birds back up North from their Southern wintering areas. He used Canadian Geese as an example. He said it's more likely the 'feathers' more than contaminated feed that spreads the disease. I asked him why they cull out the birds that DON'T get bird flu. Wouldn't their immune system help in the future with breeders? He said that they didn't know who was immune and who was a carrier. They just destroy all of them and start hatching again.    :sad-smiley-012:

• Sad 4

I agree that we need to be prepping hard now. I’ve been feeling it since last year, now more than ever. I’m planning another grocery run this week to get stocked back up on cheeses and topping off my preps. I have a Walmart delivery order coming tomorrow with spam, dried beef, and other shelf stable items. For the last two months every time I go to the grocery store I wonder if it might be the last time before :smiley_shitfan:

Even a quick stop at the local Dollar General finds a few canned hams, tuna pouches, and such falling into my cart. 

As soon as I started hearing about bird flu impacting chicken farms, I began canning chicken like crazy. Still, I wouldn’t mind putting up a few more canner loads. 

I may be hard pressed finding storage, but I consider that problem to be a blessing! 

• Like 5

During the pandemic, we used our house as the "warehouse" for big items, like toilet paper and paper towels.  My parents' farmhouse was used for things that required a freezer. We pretty much just delivered whatever shelf-stable and fresh items to the households that requested them. Hubby pretty much only bought a few basic foods that he eats all of the time and ate down a lot of stored goods, as he was alone in our house. After looking through my pantry yesterday, I realized that I have a lot of room to store so much more. I still don't like going in stores due to the chance that I could drag some COVID cooties back to mom. I am planning to place a grocery order today for delivery to my home. I am completely out of freezer space at my house (until my new fridge/freezer organizers come) but there is plenty of room to stock the pantry shelves. I never really did an actual inventory this weekend, but I did make a grocery list. Once I get some more stuff in, I need to do the math to determine how many weeks of meals we have .

• Like 7

Themartianchick, we were already getting cases of TP and paper towels, trash bags, and soaps with Amazon subscribe and save deliveries before the lockdowns, so we weren't bothered by the shortages. However, before the shortages I would skip monthly shipments now and then. Now I let them come. I can store paper and cleaning products in the garage, where temperature fluctuations aren't such a problem. I just had to take steps to prevent mice during the winter. 

• Like 4

I plan to store my TP in a garage too. I took each roll out of the package and sort of mashed it together to flatten it down a little. Then I stored them in a big deep tote. Mashing them together really saves a lot of room. I got a lot of rolls in that big tote. They aren't 'factory perfect' but they mold back into shape pretty well. Some people remove the core altogether. That saves even more space but I wanted to make sure they still fit on the roller. I just hope the mice stay out of them. They should be okay with the lid snapped down. Maybe some duct tape too?

I left a roll of paper towels on the counter for a month at the other house. At the time I didn't know there were mice there. They shredded and fluffed and chewed that roll of towels and made nests all over the kitchen counter tops and all over the stove. They left a lot of their 'calling cards' behind too. At the time, I didn't even have any food in the house. They were just after that paper. Dirty filthy nasty disgusting little rodents.

I have another tote, the same as the other one, that I keep paper plates, paper bowls, paper cups and plastic eating utensils in. It's for grid down dire emergency use. I chose paper over Styrofoam because it can be burned in a fireplace or a firepit and not be noticed. No evidence I'm still eating well. No big trash bags sitting around for four or two legged critters to nose in. And it's cheaper too. You can always use a regular plate under the paper ones to make them more sturdy while you are using them. I have some of those hard plastic frisbee like disks that are made to use under paper plates. They have little tabs around them to help hold the plate on. Good for picnics and family reunions.

Come to think of it, those two totes could be stored up in an attic too. 

• Like 4

I always flatted rolls of TP before placing on the spindle in the bathroom to help manage the amount used by my kids. The flatted tube doesn't roll as easily, hence they couldn't give it a yank and unroll a huge handful of tissue. :D

• Like 2

That is a great idea Cricket. I have a 5 year old grandson who can take the corner of the paper and fling it for all he's worth. I have high hopes of him starring on a major baseball league in about 20 years. Or maybe a quarterback for the Steelers. Perhaps the next Arnold Palmer with that swinging arc he has going on. I'm just trying hard to not destroy 'our' hopes for athletic greatness. One ply at a time.  :happy0203:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
2 hours ago, Cricket said:

Themartianchick, we were already getting cases of TP and paper towels, trash bags, and soaps with Amazon subscribe and save deliveries before the lockdowns, so we weren't bothered by the shortages. However, before the shortages I would skip monthly shipments now and then. Now I let them come. I can store paper and cleaning products in the garage, where temperature fluctuations aren't such a problem. I just had to take steps to prevent mice during the winter. 

I started caring for my mom in an apartment several years ago. There wasn't really a lot of room to store big things in such a small space. I just relied on Instacart and had my husband bring over some of our paper product stockpile. When Covid hit, I became responsible for shopping for my dad, too! I had no idea as to what he actually had in the house and knew that my supply had run down a bit. I started ordering stuff, just to see if it was still available. Somewhere in my mom's building, there is a storage area that goes with her apartment. We have never used it. I may take a look around to see if it is adequate for storing non-food items, like paper goods. We use Subscribe and Save for several personal care items for Mom, hubby's coffee beans and my favorite tea. I have skipped a few deliveries but don't do it often anymore. As a matter of fact, I probably shouldn't do it at all!

• Like 3

I also flatten my TP and PT, s I have it all in plastic containers and keep it stored in attic. What is in attic I rotate as I buy more. I need to get back on the monthly or biweekly deliveries. I know I need more Kleenex and that here is getting harder to buy in bulk. So going back to some sources to see if I can get more in bulk. Also, table napkins I need to add to that.  As for food I really think I am good but until the contractors are done and out, I really can't get things dated and put away yet. I am changing up the way I am storing things as best I can right now. So, making plans for better organization. 

I also am feeling a need to stock some things that are nonfood and not paper products. But the well is next on my to do list. Looking into rain barrels, maybe another Berkey system as I do have a lot of filters. But looking for some sales for more. I also have a few life straws. Working on the garden by way of raised beds, and other ways to make gardening easier for someone in their 70's. Yes It is not easy to crawl around on the ground to plant and harvest anymore. Also starting to really think about that privacy fence. I have a whole house generator (natural gas) but also know that can be cut off. It is also noisy, which in a SHTF situation you don't need to be advertising. It will run on propane but will be hard to get down the line. Stil the whole house generator would be noisy. So working on solar or some type of generator that is quiet and I can at least keep the freezer and one fridge going. Need to get more oil for lamps. Looking at a Walmart trip. And I hate going to Walmart. Not what it used to be. No cashiers anymore. They are watching you like a hawk. I have 10 cases of the blue can water. That alone adds up to 240 cans of water for drinking. It last 50 years. I have also canned 6 cases of water in quart jars. That also will last forever as it will last just as long as the lids don't come loose. I have 16 5 gal. water containers that I need to finish filling up. And all this water is no where near enough for bathing, cleaning, drinking and cooking.  

Lots of things I need to do as I have the extra money to get it done. I am adding more propane tanks to my list as well. Yes, I have a long list of things to get done. and the construction is holding me up as I can't get into attic or garage for there tools and supplies. 

Posting some of this for any new people also that need to know where to start prepping. But I am working on the organization plans for as soon as they are done and out. Can't wait. 

• Like 4