MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

When will it become "Too Late"?

Picked up a 25 lb. bag of sugar for $13.50 today… DH uses it in his coffee and on his cereal.  All repackaged & put away.  “Distributed by WM, didn’t say where it came from… I checked.  It just said, “ pure cane sugar”.  
99% of the shelves were stocked, even the baby food shelves.  And too many stocked pallets in the isles…. you couldn’t get two carts passed each other…at least people were being courteous…. :sigh:

• Like 4

I knew about the wheat.  Picked up 2 of several things we use.  Flour is stored, probably enough for a year or two.  Maybe.  Just praying, it doesn’t come to that. Either way, I believe we can endure & survive what is coming… 

except for gas to go take care of MIL… God willing she will come back here, like she said she would, in July.

• Like 4

I've been stocking up on wheat berries for about a year now. Wish I would have gotten more when they were affordable. Don't forget wheat grinders!

I've done pretty good with flour but could use more. I'm taking DIL to Sam's Club in a week or two and plan to get a couple of the 25 pound bags of flour for myself. She will be able to hoss them around for me. Even 25 pounds is almost too heavy for me these days. I'm sure I'll pick up some more sugar too. I got some free gift cards from my bank (credit card bonus points) and plan to make quite a haul for her. 

Flour, sugar and cooking oil have been on my radar these days. Within the last few months I added some lard and coconut oil to my pantry. Those along with some olive oil and spray Pam stuff I already had, I think my oil is looking pretty good for at least 2 years. I'm not much of a baker but I can cook from scratch. 

I bought a bucket of salt, nearly 40 pounds, dirt cheap about 3 years ago. And I probably have that much more in 1/2 gallon jars, of the lite salt that I use. I stocked up on spices at the beginning of C-19. Can only hope they stay potent. 

Now that I'm almost finished with the very long term dehydrated foods, I'm trying to bulk up my pantry essentials. 

Not bragging! Just sharing what I'm doing to toss out some ideas.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mother said:

I can’t handle any alternative sugars except Stevia.  I stock Stevia seed.  I had forgotten about monk fruit.  I need to look into that.   I ‘think’ I might be able to tolerate that.  

A collection of different sugar substitutes on a white wooden table.

Nowadays, most of the sugar alternatives are bulked up by adding them to granular erythrito. If you purchase a bag that measures 1:1 but it weighs less than what you think it should, check the ingredient list! 

When "baking" Splenda first hit the market it was bulked up with a combination of dextrose and maltodextrin! They are both sugars!!! Somewhere along the line somebody experimented with erythritol (don't know what plant it is from) and discovered that it isn't metabolized so it wouldn't affect your blood glucose levels, so most of the alternate sugars - even Monk Fruit - are mixed with it; unless you buy a liquid version (which is highly concentrated and requires just a few drops in order to sweeten something). The problem is, the liquids do not give structure to your baking in the same way that the erythritol mixes do.

There is another product for bulking up the other sweeteners, BUT, the bulking ingredient is XYLITOL which can very easily kill your dog if they ingest just a tiny bit. :( https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/xylitol-toxicity-in-dogs 

Be aware that, labeling has changed on some products that contain Xylitol to listing BIRCH sugar instead, which is the same thing as Xylitol. I'm surmising that the labeling change was made to get rid of the "chemical" sounding name and replacing it with a more "natural/organic" one. But if you don't know what it is, you can very easily harm your pets by using it. 🙁

The newest sweetener on the market for baking is called ALLULOSE. As far as I know it is a plant source that is refined into a granular sugar and does not act as a bulking agent for the other sweeteners. Perhaps you can give this one a try and see if you can tolerate it.

From one of my favorite YT channels:

THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO KETO SWEETENERS
https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/best-keto-sweeteners/

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, MM.  I have Multi-Chemical Sensitivity.  I always read labels but have learned by experience that labeling can be very deceiving.  Thanks for the heads up on ‘Birch’ change.  I hadn’t come across that one yet.  Anything ending in ‘ol’ , the alcohol ending, gives me horrible diarrhea in minutes.  I have not heard of allulose.  In just a quick research I found one of the common side effects is diarrhea.  According to what I read most allulose on the market is made from corn.  I’m assuming it is probably extracted by some chemical means???   

Maybe I’ll just stick to real whole foods as much as possible.  :scratchhead:  

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Mother said:

In just a quick research I found one of the common side effects is diarrhea.

Perhaps this is why:

“What's interesting is that it's not metabolized by the body. It's absorbed by the small intestine, but then actually excreted. So none of the calories get absorbed or stored in your body,” DiMarino says. “With the limited research that's been done, it's been found that [allulose] doesn't have effects on blood sugars or an insulin response.”

Then there is this, si maybe you can use it!

Here’s what we do know: Research has shown that about 70 percent of d-allulose is absorbed in the GI tract (the rest is eliminated without being digested). Unlike other artificial sugars, it is not fermented in the gut, which means that issues like gas and bloating are not as much as a concern with d-allulose.

https://cleanplates.com/nutrition/what-is-allulose-safety-health-benefits/

There is also this information that may help you decide whether to give it a try or not.

Why does Allulose cause diarrhea?
Allulose isn’t metabolized in the small intestine, this means that, similar to fiber, it enters the large intestine and may cause gas, bloating, and possibly diarrhea (when too much is consumed). Most people that get diarrhea after Allulose consumption: have consumed too much Allulose, or have consumed Allulose along with other alternative sweeteners or sweet fibers, or have consumed a meal (or meals) that were high in fiber (for example: a large bowl of Brussels sprouts) in addition to Allulose consumption.

https://www.ourpaleolife.com/allulose-keto-sweetener/

Check out the "Starts in Nature" box. So, yes, most of what is on the market today is probably derived from corn fructose - mainly because corn is already being used in so many ways that it is less expensive to do so. In creating this sweetener, at least some of the fructose from corn is being diverted from becoming part of High Fructose Corn Syrup; and that is a good thing -IMO.

CCCAlluloseInfographic-791x1024.png

https://allulose.org/allulose-info/about-allulose/

As I said above. It is cheaper now that they have figured out how to get it out of corn.

Allulose is considered a rare sugar because it is found naturally only in small quantities in plant foods such as brown sugar, maple syrup, wheat and dried fruits like figs and raisins. Allulose is also commercially produced, although it’s not as commonly used as other sugars in packaged foods and beverages or as a tabletop sweetener. This may change in the future, as scientists have only recently discovered ways to produce allulose on a larger scale by deriving it from corn or fructose.

https://foodinsight.org/what-is-allulose-a-different-kind-of-low-calorie-sweetener/

I don't think that using enzymes is the same thing as using "some sort of a chemical process."

BTW- I didn't know this until I started researching allulose.

Like glucose and fructose, allulose is a monosaccharide, or single sugar. In contrast, table sugar, also known as sucrose, is a disaccharide made of glucose and fructose joined together.

In fact, allulose has the same chemical formula as fructose, but is arranged differently. This difference in structure prevents your body from processing allulose the way it processes fructose.

lthough 70–84% of the allulose you consume is absorbed into your blood from your digestive tract, it is eliminated in the urine without being used as fuel (1, 2Trusted Source).

It’s been shown to resist fermentation by your gut bacteria, minimizing the likelihood of bloating, gas or other digestive problems (2Trusted Source).

And here’s some good news for people who have diabetes or are watching their blood sugar — it does not raise blood sugar or insulin levels.

Allulose also provides only 0.2–0.4 calories per gram, or about 1/10 the calories of table sugar.

In addition, early research suggests that allulose has anti-inflammatory properties, and may help prevent obesity and reduce the risk of chronic disease (3Trusted Source).

Although small amounts of this rare sugar are found in some foods, in recent years, manufacturers have used enzymes to convert fructose from corn and other plants into allulose (4Trusted Source).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/allulose#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2

More on how it is created:

How is Allulose made?

Allulose is created from the fructose in corn. Avoiding corn? Don’t worry… The corn is broken down into starch and fructose, the fructose is then converted to Allulose via an enzymatic conversion process. When you eat Allulose, you’re not consuming fructose. The enzymes – which serve as processing aids – are also not in the final product. There are no residual corn proteins in the final product either.

https://www.ourpaleolife.com/allulose-keto-sweetener/

This info makes me a VERY happy camper!!!

This article has too much good stuff to copy and paste here, so just click the link and go read it for yourself!

https://www.self.com/story/what-is-allulose

Allulose Is a New Kind of Sugar That Doesn’t Count as Sugar 
You’re about to see this one-of-a-kind sweetener everywhere. 
By Carolyn L. Todd  - January 24, 2020

• What is allulose and why are you just now hearing about it?
  • Our bodies actually handle allulose differently than other sugars.
  • Allulose tastes and acts a lot like regular sugar. (!!!)
  • So far, allulose appears to be pretty safe and well-tolerated.

BTW - It's NOT an articial sweetener!

Allulose, the New Low-Calorie Sweetener, Is NOT an Artificial Sugar

Allulose is classified as a “rare sugar,” because it’s naturally found in small amounts in a few foods—including figs, raisins, molasses, and maple syrup. Like glucose and fructose—the two components that make up sucrose, or table sugar,—it’s a "monosaccharide," or simple sugar.

Artificial sweeteners are different. 

For example sucralose, which is sold under the name Splenda, is made by chemically altering sucrose so that it doesn't break down when ingested—so it doesn't have any nutrition and doesn't contribute any calories. The process also makes it hundreds of times sweeter.

Aspartame (sold as Equal or NurtraSweet) and saccharine (sold as Sweet n’ Low) are similarly non-nutritive, meaning that they're not actually foods, as they provide no actual nutrition. But allulose, which is also known as psicose, is a different type of sugar, so it can actually be digested and does provide calories—just not many.

https://www.cookinglight.com/news/is-allulose-artificial-sugar

This whole article is a fascinating and informative read.

Let’s step back for a moment. What, exactly, is allulose? It is yet another monosaccharide, but with a twist. You see, the structure of allulose differs from fructose at one of the carbon atoms (c3) where the hydroxl (-OH) group is on the opposite side. Allulose is an epimer of fructose.

allulose2.jpg

Figure. Comparison of fructose and allulose structures. [source]

https://peterattiamd.com/replacing-sugar-with-allulose/

======================================

SPLENDA

Image result for how is splenda made
The sweetness of Splenda is due to a compound called sucralose, a type of indigestible artificial sugar. This is made by replacing certain atoms in sugar with atoms of chlorine. Sucralose is also combined with other digestible sweeteners like maltodextrin to make Splenda.

Sucralose is chemically changed so that it’s 600 times sweeter than real sugar with almost no calories. It doesn’t leave an aftertaste in your mouth, so sucralose is used in foods like yogurt, candy, ice cream, and soda. In addition to being changed for taste, sucralose is also altered so that most of it passes through your body instead of being stored to later use as energy. To make sucralose almost calorie-free, some naturally occurring parts of the sugar molecule, called hydroxyl, are swapped out for chlorine.

This is a fascinating and informative article about Splenda and the reason for the controversies surrounding it.

https://www.mashed.com/293347/the-untold-truth-of-splenda/

• Thanks 1

MM, that is a lot of information, thank you.  I will read through it, not for me but for my sister who is a type 1 diabetic.  I will also pass this on to her. This info is really appreciated.  I had not even heard of it before.   I’m positive she will find a lot of help in it.  

I should have mentioned that I have low blood sugar which is thankfully controlled.  I really do not eat much sweet things at all and when I do honey, maple syrup, and sometimes coconut or date sugars are plenty sweet enough for me.  Even DH who has no blood sugar issues at all uses only those types of sweets.  We rarely use more than ten pounds of cane sugar a year and most of that goes for deserts when we have company.  Even then it’s usually made with those.  No one seems to notice. Our kids, of course, were raised on those and use them also.  That’s why we buy them gallons of honey for Christmas gifts. 

I do think allulose might be a good alternative for a lot of preppers to store, IF it stores well that is.  Not perhaps for the nutritive/calorie value as obviously it doesn’t have a lot, but for the comfort of taste it could bring if no sugar is available.  I love that I learn something new each day.  :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 2

Allulose is expensive but I can eat it.  Monkfruit is expensive when pure, but I can eat it.

Maple syrup and sugar are expensive when pure, but I can eat them.

Cane and (to a lesser extent) beet sugar are cheap, and I can eat them.

Stevia I can eat, at least in small amounts, but I don't like.

Corn syrup is cheap, and I can eat it.

Honey is expensive when real, and I can eat it.

The others routinely make me sick.

• Like 2
On 5/27/2022 at 8:29 PM, Ambergris said:

The next shortage after sugar is going to be wheat.

The grain shortage started months ago and is getting worse and will continue until it will be rare to find it. 

• Like 2

I was talking about another step.  I actually forget what one I was looking at, but right after I posted, India went off on how generous it was going to be with its wheat--if begged.  My skin crawled.

• Sad 4
14 hours ago, Ambergris said:India went off on how generous it was going to be with its wheat--if begged.  My skin crawled.

That’s interesting. I’ve only read that India was originally open to exporting until they were hit with climate issues and had to rescind their willingness in order to take care of their own people because of the concern that they would not have a surplus. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Darlene said:

That’s interesting. I’ve only read that India was originally open to exporting until they were hit with climate issues and had to rescind their willingness in order to take care of their own people because of the concern that they would not have a surplus. 

This made me wonder if I'd just read my article while in a particularly foul mood.  I can't find it now, so maybe.  That would actually be reassuring, on one level.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Ambergris said:

This made me wonder if I'd just read my article while in a particularly foul mood.  I can't find it now, so maybe.  That would actually be reassuring, on one level.

The important thing (in all honesty Ambergris) is that we need to be very careful with things like that. It's ok if we post things like this and ask "is this true?...this worries me." but to put them on MrsS as if it were true is something that we need to be careful with, mostly because the norm these days seems to be nothing but a storm of illusions being presented as cold, hard facts.

We are a semblance of a family here and I know that any info I warn my family members of is fact checked and filtered because I personally don't like egg on my face and I don't want to erroneously alarm them if it is not true. This whole world is in chaos and all we've known in the past is swiftly changing. It might even be difficult at times to know what is truth or not but God has given us all a brain to reason and use common sense.

The above does not negate the fact that I have a burden on my heart that the days ahead are not even imaginable, and not in a good way either.  Things crazier than our wildest imaginations will probably rapidly unfold but until then, we just need to hold on to the One who is our Rock and who will shelter us with the shadow of His wings of protection.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Boy have I done that before, Ambergris.  One of the things I love about you is your ability to look at things realistically, even your own motives. :hug3:  With things being as tough as they are, and likely to get, we all need to look at our own feelings.  

This article appears to explain about wheat and some other issues. 
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/25/business/india-sugar-export-restrictions-food-prices/index.html

This is in part …

Russia's invasion of Ukraine has contributed to a historic shock to commodity markets that will keep global prices high through the end of 2024, the World Bank said last month. Food prices are expected to soar by 22.9% this year, driven by a 40% rise in wheat prices, it added. 
Earlier this week, Malaysia moved to restrict exports of chicken to its neighbors, saying "the government's priority is our own people." And, just days earlier, India had banned wheat exports, as life-threatening heat waves stunt output and push local prices to record highs. The country is the world's second biggest producer of wheat after China, but it is not a major exporter of the commodity.
Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Tuesday, India's commerce minister Piyush Goyal said that "our export regulation should not affect global markets."
"We continue to allow exports to vulnerable countries and neighbors," he added.
    Despite these reassurances, India's restrictions underscore the fragility of the global food situation. Global buyers were hoping that Indian wheat shipments would help fill the gap created by the war in Europe, which has hit vital shipments of agricultural exports.
    However, there was some good news last week. Indonesia said it would lift a ban on exports of palm oil, which was put in place in April. The Southeast Asian country is the world's top producer of the product, which is widely used as cooking oil and in many food items.

I do agree we need to be careful with what we post AND where we post it from.  I am not sure if even the link above is totally factual.  It all depends on the bias and intent of the reporter and the intent of the particular media.  We all have an obligation to research on our own to make informed decisions about our own actions.  

If I go by what I am actually seeing and by the impact it is taking on our finances I know that something is happening, and has been happening, that is changing our lives dramatically.  Almost all of us are feeling the impact or will be feeling it very soon.  We are upset and we are angry at our inability to change what is happening or what is coming.  We have not given away our power as some would have us believe. We have had it taken from us but that doesn’t mean we are powerless.  Survival is more about adaptability and so is prepping.  Can’t find one thing to store? (Like sugar or wheat) then store what you can find or find an alternative.  Thank the Lord for Mrs Survival.  We have some of the best info and the best minds here to help us do just that! :happy0203:

• Like 3
    • Thanks 1

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate:  If you are asking someone for help....someone who usually has few resources and needs a lot of help.....is it not reasonable to expect to *ask nicely?*   If you go asking for help with your nose in the air....you shouldn't expect help.  

• Like 3
    3 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

.is it not reasonable to expect to *ask nicely?*

Yes, it is.  Any type of help should be asked for nicely and be appreciated.  Some people however have a very strong sense of pride and it hurts them to have to ask. They don’t even know HOW to ask properly. Some have never been taught proper etiquette.  I usually deal with those types by helping them and then telling them I know they appreciate the help and they are welcome.  It shows them what they might do the next time.  

• Like 3
    18 hours ago, Mother said:

We have not given away our power as some would have us believe. We have had it taken from us but that doesn’t mean we are powerless.  Survival is more about adaptability and so is prepping.  Can’t find one thing to store? (Like sugar or wheat) then store what you can find or find an alternative.

I think it's a combination of both...taken and given. That reminds me of that saying, what came first...the chicken or the egg?

I dunno.

• Like 1
    12 hours ago, Darlene said:

I think it's a combination of both...taken and given. That reminds me of that saying, what came first...the chicken or the egg?

They were both created at the same time! All the eggs a chix will ever lay were in the first bird created. :)

• Like 4
    Posted (edited)

“From my family’s farm to the State Committee for the USDA Farm Service Agency to the House Agriculture Committee,” writes South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem, “I have worked in agriculture in some capacity since I could walk. Now … I serve alongside a third-generation cattle rancher, Lt. Gov. Larry Rhoden. We are the only farmer-rancher pair to lead a state’s executive branch, and we are both deeply concerned: America’s food supply system is at risk.”

As Noem writes,

"We have not yet realized our strategic vulnerability when it comes to our nation’s food supply.”

https://patriotpost.us/articles/88885-are-we-on-the-verge-of-a-food-crisis-2022-06-07#share

Edited by Midnightmom
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 5

Not sure if this is the place, but an interesting pdf from the Think-tank .... Deagal. The info comes from MonkeyWerx. Notice who has the highest drop in population.  :0327:  The numbers were originally slated for 2015 but Trump came in and everything was pushed to 2025. There was no explanation as to the tremendous drop in population in various countries, but China and Russia had minimal drop in warm bodies by 2025.  :whistling:

https://nobulart.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Deagel-2025-Forecast-by-Country.pdf

• Thanks 2

How interesting, Homey.  I was struck more by the shift in population but haven’t had time to analyze reasons.  Covid related?  Food related?  Environment related?  Also, what criteria do they use for their predictions.  Do they consider the possibilities of drought, famine, or war?  Things like that! 

• Like 1
    On 6/3/2022 at 6:50 AM, Darlene said:

I dunno.

That one is easy. Of course the chicken came first!

In the beginning God made all of the animals. 

• Like 3