MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dee's Country Journey

I am so ecstatic that you are sharing these with us Dee. I have absolutely loved watching them and I think others will too.

There's nothing like hearing the tales from someone who has 'been there, done that'!

((((Dee))))

• Like 3

Dee is a natural story teller.  I look forward to more videos.  👍 

• Like 5

'That's the beauty of it... You can do what you want.'

Dee is an ambassador for this way of life! I was raised in the country and moved to the city as an adult. I have spent my time fighting the rules to be able to do the things that I want and then finding stealthy ways to do them anyway. We need more of these, Dee! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Our sheep lived well, dogmom4. :)  This is a chandelier DH put in their building.  It was actually wired and worked.

Sheep Chandelier in sheep building  12-20-09.jpg

Edited by Dee
Fix mistakes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Dee - As to the size of the video; when you upload pictures and you decide they are too big, you can RIGHT CLICK on the image and bring up a dialogue box that will allow you to adjust the size. I wonder if you can do the same think with a video that YOU uploaded. I know I can't do it for shared videos (such as YT) but perhaps as the "source" you can make those changes. 

You will have to open the EDIT feature for the post, then try RIGHT clicking on the video to see if it can be done. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Great story, Dee! Your husband's car-packing skill reminds me of my childhood. My parents always bought station wagons, but they liked to go to auctions and buy antique furniture. Dad was pretty good at managing to make everything fit. Sometimes, we had to drive extra slowly. In the country...that's okay! When we got our first poultry, the woman who gave them to us put them in burlap sacks for transport. Our first ducks never liked us as a result! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Dee, that is a great story. Would love to have seen that going down the road. 

themartianchick. Now I know what not to do if I ever get ducks. Good way to make them mad and hold a grudge. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dee,

I have been insanely busy on the farm the past month or so, and like I've shared elsewhere, I've been too tired to think or talk and I have simply had nothing to say.

But...

As I go through my days dealing with this and that, I often find myself pondering these adorable videos you've shared so far. 

Why?

This morning, as I have renewed my efforts to get on MrsS in the mornings before the winds of life steal me away for another day, I came to this post to catch up on your videos. As I watched the "Harry the rabbit" video, I found tears in my eyes, which sounds crazy I know, but tears none the less. What is going on with me, and why is this eliciting this type of response?

As I listened to the videos I began to realize that is some respects, I have felt (and perhaps feel) very alone. It's not anything I've really thought about in this way before, but that thought just hit me this morning. Even though I'm insanely busy, and even though over the years I've made a few critical and cherished friends, I remain independent and the Queen of my little bubble I've built here on the farm. Most of my cherished friends here have lived this way of life their whole lives and I remain an anomaly..."how did a city person, much less a girl, end up in a place like this, living this kind of life?". My simple answer is that the Lord led me here, but just as important, is I don't think I've been able to vocalize the reasons that I did and have instead, shown by working just as hard, side by side, sharing the God given gifts that I alone have (that they often don't), persevering through all the highs and lows, never complaining and just dealing with the table He's set before me (and that I've often added to, right or wrong).

Over the years, I've somehow gained their respect and acceptance, which has had more meaning because it was earned. It's nothing something anyone can expect or demand in this type of arena and it certainly is not given haphazardly. 

So, in spite of all that, I never really thought about the fact that MY journey, which has been so unique and different from anyone I personally know, has been a journey all alone with the Lord. It's easy to have nobody but Him when you make such a drastic change in life like I did. Yes, the friends are all there, whether they are local or far away and are very important to me. BUT! I think one of the reasons I found tears in my eyes this morning is because you have already walked the road I've been on in many ways, and to hear you reminisce has somehow in a way that is hard to put into words, caused me to #1 realize that I've been very much alone in this journey even though I'm surrounded by loving family and friends, and #2, that your stories cause me to realize that I am NOT so all alone, because many things you've done mirror the things I've done and/or am doing.

If that makes sense.

So, because I'm a brat I want you to know that even IF your videos are meant for the membership as a whole, they are definitely meant for me. They touch my heart and they cause me to feel not so all alone because I'm able to see that someone else took their own unique journey from the city to the country and did many of the crazy things I've done too. I have learned (in a weird way) how to become 2 different people. When I'm in the suburban/city arena, I don't talk much about my rural experiences because it's evident they think I'm crazy. When I'm in the rural arena, I don't talk much about my suburban/city experiences because they find much of that perspective as shallow and empty.

Thank you for your videos, and please, please, please keep them coming. Perhaps I have a need for them as evidenced by my personal reaction in my little bubble here on the farm. 

:curtsey:

• Like 5

I love these videos.  They are humorous and touching and give us wonderful glimpses of a life changing journey. Many of us have had our own life changing journeys but few are willing to share them with others.  Thanks, Dee.  Please keep them coming. 🫂

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

I have learned (in a weird way) how to become 2 different people. When I'm in the suburban/city arena, I don't talk much about my rural experiences because it's evident they think I'm crazy. When I'm in the rural arena, I don't talk much about my suburban/city experiences because they find much of that perspective as shallow and empty.

When I left California in 1968, it was unheard of.  NO ONE left California back then, especially to, of all places, Iowa.  I know the becoming of 2 different people Darlene.  Even after all these years I'm a different person in California.  I dress in something besides chore clothes, and I've done something with my hair...unlike the videos!  LOL  

One strange thing I've found about my California family and friends.  They spend so much of their time eating out and while eating lunch they begin talking about when and where they might go for dinner.  It's such a different world.  None of it is wrong, it's just different and when you're 2 different people you adjust to where you are.  I love visiting friends and family in California. It's a busy, hustle and bustle world but rural Iowa is where there are no neighbors for 1/4 mile, and that's our son and his family.  There's no hustle and bustle.  The only noise is the honking of geese, the pigeons cooing, coyotes off in the distance, nature sounds, etc.  There are deer and turkeys in the pasture or walking down the gravel road.  Yesterday there were 3 otters running along the bank of the creek.  Iowa is home, it's where I want to be!

I also know of the being alone Darlene.  I have many friends BUT I'm still withdrawn into myself most of the time.  Two days a week I'm with friends but those other 5, other than church, I'm on the farm alone.  It's the way I am. It's the way I like it.  I don't work hard like I used to, but I do work hard at writing my books, taking care of my garden and flowers, watching all the wildlife, doing my videos, or just sitting in my recliner and looking out the window at the pasture and what it has to offer at that moment, day, week. 

Darlene, I think we're two of a kind and I wouldn't be surprised if there are many others just like us.  Even those in the city.  We're a different breed of cat here at Mrs. S. 

Mother, we've "talked" for years about so many things.  I know you too love your lifestyle.  Unlike Darlene and me you've lived it your whole life.  We are "newer" to it.  We weren't as lucky as you. 

Thank you both for your kind words!:grouphug:

My word, I'm sorry, but I seem to have gone off on a tangent.  I'll get off my :soapbox:here and maybe do something constructive today.....or maybe not!  :wave:

Edited by Dee
  • Like 3