MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Yesterday I baked cinnamon rolls from a box our foster daughter had gotten me for my birthday.  There were 6 rolls that were so sweet we could hardly eat them, but we did.:whistling:

Other than too sweet, they weren't bad, BUT that boxed mix cost her $13.50, for 6 rolls. Does just your average buy these?  How does a company keep in business with those prices?  If I was to spend $13.50 for rolls they'd be baked and ready to eat. These not only needed mixing and baking, I still needed to add a 1/2 cup butter and milk to the mix.

I realize it was a gift and I doubt she buys them for herself but I was shocked when I saw the price stamped on the bottom.

Am I just old and cheap or do others find this expensive?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
3 minutes ago, Dee said:

Am I just old and cheap or do others find this expensive?

Yes Dee, you are just old and cheap....NOT!!!!!! :girlneener: I wouldn't pay that price even for baked and ready to eat. :0327:But then again, I don't buy coffee at Starbucks either.

• Haha 6

That's crazy outrageously expensive. Like you said, you can get 6 at a bakery for about that price. Plus, the prepared mixes, for me, are never as good as homemade anyway.

It was a beautiful gesture your foster daughter gave with her gift. It was obviously something from her heart to yours. It's actually good to experience things like this (baking store bought vs homemade) because I think it only reinforces all the wisdom of doing all the crazy work we do in preparing everything from scratch.

• Like 4

I know I’ve been isolated from the stores for a long time but having been in them more lately I am really shocked at the price of everything.  But  $13.50 for a mix that makes 6 rolls is mind boggling.  What does it cost to make those same type of rolls at home?  I’m really serious here.  What DOES it cost?  I know a lot of us here are making/baking from stored preps but if we had to buy all the ingredients today would that cost be almost that high?  

• Like 4

That price is ridiculous!!

By any chance were they part of a fundraiser for school or something? Some of the stuff that kids sell for fundraisers are outrageously priced! Boy Scout popcorn is overpriced. Girl Scout Cookie boxes have increased in price and magically shrunk. When I was a scout, the cookies were around $1.75/box. The troop earned something miniscule like 25 cents per box, if that.

My one baked good splurge is a chocolate or almond croissant from Wegmans supermarket's bakery. I don't buy them often and they aren't available year-round. They are fully baked and come 2 in a box for $5. Though the stores have a cafe, I never order a beverage. I take my box home and make my own darn cup of tea or cocoa!

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Mother said:

I know I’ve been isolated from the stores for a long time but having been in them more lately I am really shocked at the price of everything.  But  $13.50 for a mix that makes 6 rolls is mind boggling.  What does it cost to make those same type of rolls at home?  I’m really serious here.  What DOES it cost?  I know a lot of us here are making/baking from stored preps but if we had to buy all the ingredients today would that cost be almost that high?  

Cinnamon rolls were one of the first items that we were taught to make in Home Economics class in 7th grade. They were cheap and easy to make and I used to bake them for breakfast every weekend that year. They were probably cheaper than those Pillsbury ones!

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Mother said:

What does it cost to make those same type of rolls at home?  I’m really serious here.  What DOES it cost?  

Seriously? Flour, water, eggs, yeast, milk, butter, salt, egg, cinnamon, sugar. A couple of $ at best.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Plus extra time that the younger people don't have a lot of. And fuel. 

Sorry but I don’t buy that lol. It’s all a choice. And fuel? What about the gas to go to the sure fuel?

The above IS NOT NOT NOT in reference to Dee’s foster daughter. What she did was very beautiful and heart felt. It IS is regard to many in society in general, which I often believe is because they were never taught or the time was never taken to show them how special things like this are and how rewarding they are. 

• Like 3

And prices are still climbing.  That is way too high of a price to pay. But it was the thought that counts.  But yes, those could be made from scratch so much cheaper. 

I have been watching about the chicken (bird flu) as it is going to affect the price of everything that uses eggs as well. I have ordered more of the ova crystals eggs for baking and for breakfast as well. I can have scrambled eggs or make egg salad with the scrambled eggs. I have some already but decided best to get more added to my preps as I do use a lot of eggs. I will continue to buy fresh eggs and hold these for when it starts getting too hard to find eggs or the price gets way to high. Here at Christmas, we had a shortage of eggs last year. At least the 2 stores I usually go to didn't have any at all. But right now, it is better, but the price has gone up. One thing I would miss is having deviled eggs. I am going to start pickling some for canning as soon as they finish up with the kitchen, so I can get things done. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't spend that amount for myself. But for a gift, I would.

Playing Devil's Advocate for a minute!

Most of us here are old enough to know what homemade food tastes like. We like it. It's what our palate is used to. We are conditioned to recognize it as real food. Good food. 

But this generation has grown up on fast food and convenience food. Most of their first foods came from a box or a can. It's their normal food. It's their 'homemade' food because it isn't just a bologna sandwich and chips. To them, homemade food is bland, dull and lacking in something. That something are the chemicals that excite the taste buds and tells the brain it's the best thing it ever tasted.   

In the end, it was a lovely gesture and Dee and her husband did enjoy them. 

I suppose it's all relative. 

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

And prices are still climbing.  That is way too high of a price to pay. But it was the thought that counts.  But yes, those could be made from scratch so much cheaper. 

I have been watching about the chicken (bird flu) as it is going to affect the price of everything that uses eggs as well. I have ordered more of the ova crystals eggs for baking and for breakfast as well. I can have scrambled eggs or make egg salad with the scrambled eggs. I have some already but decided best to get more added to my preps as I do use a lot of eggs. I will continue to buy fresh eggs and hold these for when it starts getting too hard to find eggs or the price gets way to high. Here at Christmas, we had a shortage of eggs last year. At least the 2 stores I usually go to didn't have any at all. But right now, it is better, but the price has gone up. One thing I would miss is having deviled eggs. I am going to start pickling some for canning as soon as they finish up with the kitchen, so I can get things done. 

You can also crack eggs into a bowl. Scramble them with a dash of salt. Pour them into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, pop them out and store in a ziploc bag. One cube equals 1 egg. Thaw the needed amount overnight in the fridge to use the next day. I used to do this when my chickens and quail were a little too productive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Themartianchick, that is a great idea, but right now my freezers are all overflowing with meat and some veggies waiting to be dehydrated. I am going to try that as soon as I can get the canning going again and get the freezers emptied.  Thank you for that info.

• Like 2

Our foster daughter is no youngster AND she was taught to cook with me.  She lived with us her 4 years of high school and will be 60 in April. Wow, what does that tell you about my age? :0327:   

I taught her to bake, can, etc. and she does it well.  She just likes giving me something different and this year it was from the Apple Orchard in Ft. Dodge.  I'll also add that was not all that was in the Apple Orchard bag.  I'm sure she spent close to $100.  She knows I cook mostly from scratch and was just giving me some nice things to try that I would never have spent the money on.  She's a great wife, mother, grandmother and so on and has been a part of our family since 1976.

In the bag was also a jar, not quite a pint of jam, some kind of dark berry, I can't remember which for $8.95.  Again, I can't imagine that price but it was good. :)  I can't remember what else but I felt like a queen using that expensive stuff. :darlenequeen:

• Like 8
55 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Playing Devil's Advocate for a minute!

Most of us here are old enough to know what homemade food tastes like. We like it. It's what our palate is used to. We are conditioned to recognize it as real food. Good food. 

But this generation has grown up on fast food and convenience food. Most of their first foods came from a box or a can. It's their normal food. It's their 'homemade' food because it isn't just a bologna sandwich and chips. To them, homemade food is bland, dull and lacking in something. That something are the chemicals that excite the taste buds and tells the brain it's the best thing it ever tasted.   

I agree with the fact that this generation has grown up on instant food but I have never seen any of them (yet) that would prefer the fast food versions to homemade. I don't know how other people cook but I don't understand "homemade food is bland, dull and lacking something. That confuses the heck out of me because my experience has been the complete opposite. The layers of flavor in homemade things can never be replicated by "instant". I've only witnessed it being a choice or decision. I'm as busy as anyone I know and busier than some, but it's my choice and decision to cook from scratch.

Doesn't really matter in the long run. I've just taught alot of people how to cook from scratch outside of my own children and they are dazed and amazed at how simple it many times is and how much better it tastes.

For those that have time crunches, I've noticed alot of tools and appliances that have hit the market that cater to those who want home cooked food FAST, like Instapot, no-knead breads, etc.

• Like 5

For those that have time crunches, I've noticed alot of tools and appliances that have hit the market that cater to those who want home cooked food FAST, like Instapot, no-knead breads, etc.

When I was working outside the home, I found the crockpot to be my lifeline.  Put a roast, chicken, whatever in the crockpot in the morning and off I'd go.  I'd add a can of soup with a can of water and season.  When the kids came home from school, I'd have potatoes and carrots peeled, or have them do it.  Then they'd put them in the crockpot, turn the dial to high and in an hour or so I'd be home and we'd have supper.  The gravy, from the soup, was delicious too.  So easy, good and nutritious. 

Even now, being retired, I use the crockpot so much. 

• Like 6

What I meant by 'dull, bland and lacking something' was in the context of the two generational palates. One being used to 'normal' food and the other growing up on chemically enhanced food. Those enhanced foods are what triggers the brain to taste food in a certain way. The way most younger generations find normal and appealing. Similar to MSG. 

I'm not saying it's better or worse. Personally I prefer regular home cooking too. I'm just illustrating how a different generation might feel about food and why it isn't their fault for choosing one over the other. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What a super thread.  I know Dee’s foster daughter was giving her a gift of being treated special.  I believe we all understood that from the beginning but it did give us a chance to think about what we might be dealing with in a :smiley_shitfan: situation.  It also gives up reason to think about Mare’s Mixes and the recipes for make your own mixes others have posted.   We might need to consider some mixes we make up for barter and to help those who have not been taught. Or perhaps for our own use as so many things will be pressing us at that time.  I use mixes all the time, ones I make myself. They save time and energy when I have little of either.  I use my own recipes or from recipes for ‘Meals in a Jar’   There are tons online too.  One I make up from my own recipe is a bread machine bread mix that DH can use to make bread whenever he wants. I mix the dry ingredients and place them in a zip lock bag, place a yeast packet on top, and store the bag in the refrigerator or freezer.  I have a special jar which I used a permanent marker to mark two lines on.  The first line he uses to mark the amount of oil.  Then he adds an egg to the oil and fills the jar to the second line with warm water (or other liquid) and a bit of honey sometimes.  He pours the liquid into the bread pan, puts the dry mix on top, sprinkles on the yeast and turns the bread machine on.  He is not much of a cook but he loves fresh hot bread. :cook:

Mixes have been around at least as long as Betty Crocker has.  They are just horribly overpriced compared to making them yourself.  Perhaps we would be wise to teach those who are using them to make their own mixes to save money and skip all the additives we don’t need.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You didn't Dee. I probably went off the rails again trying to find my correct words...again.  :bouquet:

My granny used to say, "Don't go by what I say but what I mean."

Good idea about mixes Mother. Believe it or not last night I ordered the ingredients to make "Everything But The Bagel" mix. They should arrive tomorrow. I hadn't heard of it until Euphrasyne mentioned it. It sounds good. After looking at the price on Amazon I figured I could make twice the amount for half the price. The regular kind uses regular salt but I'm going to use pink salt to jazz it up a little more. If nothing else it should be purdy. 

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, Dee said:

I wondered if I sounded owly (my mother's favorite phrase to me when I was a grouch) when I made my last post.  Anyway, I wasn't being so at all.  I was just explaining how it all happened. :) 

Owly... I think I'm gonna steal this one!

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, themartianchick said:

Owly... I think I'm gonna steal this one!

Me too. :happy0203:

• Haha 1