MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

For Dinner Today

I wish Mary liked turkey better....I used to buy them at sale prices, and have the meat man cut them in half (later in quarters) while still frozen.  He would overwrap the pieces, but I always checked and re-did it if it was not good enough for freezing.

When I wanted turkey for dinner it was much easier and quicker to cook it in the microwave.  Turkey in the micro comes out unbelievably moist and delicious!  No crispy skin though unless you set some aside and broil it.  I would just take a turkey portion out, thaw it, lay it in my glass pie plate, cover with plastic wrap (vented with a coiuple holes) and nuke away.  You can add a little water if you want.  Make sure the turkey is fully thawed as microwave thawing followed by microwave cooking creates uneven cooking. A whole turkey takes 7 to 9 minutes per pound at 50 percent power and rotating the dish every 15 minutes )if you do not have a turntable). Use an instant read thermometer (best money I ever spent) to make sure it is cooked all the way thru, it tends to cook slower nest to the bone. My husband dearly loved this "almost instant" turkey and a quarter was a good size for 2 people to eat at one sitting.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

DD14 is still doing the bulk of the cooking with my hand out of commission.  Last night she used the beef strips we cut off the roast.  Stir fried them with some frozen stir fry veggies, a can each of water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, baby corn.  Seasoned with a bottle of triple ginger teriyaki and served over rice noodles.  It was great and easy.  I am so lucky that she likes to cook and is so helpful.   I have increased her allowance for being so much help during this chaos.  

• Like 4

The 13 bean soup came out great! DH really liked it. I put some diced onion, celery, and carrot in mine along with the hambone. Some pepper and a shake of seasoned salt. An hour or so before dinner I fished out the bone, removed the bone and tossed the chopped meat back in. 

The soup was hearty with a tasty broth, not a thickened broth like navy bean soup. Yum! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Roast chicken.  Clearing out the freezer and best of the best storage.  Showed them how to make merengue cookies, tapenade, hummus, and seedy crackers this week, and will either make a pavlova or custard pie tomorrow when the twins come. I am gaining weight.

• Like 2