MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Bummer Lamb

Originally written by Denise Niecey Mitchell (a re-posting)

Every once in a while, a ewe will give birth to a lamb and reject it. If the lamb is returned to the ewe, the mother may even kick the poor animal away. Once a ewe rejects one of her lambs, she will never change her mind.
These little lambs will hang their heads so low that it looks like something is wrong with its neck. Their spirit is broken. These lambs are called “bummer lambs.”

Unless the shepherd intervenes, that lamb will die, rejected and alone. So, do you know what the shepherd does? He takes that rejected little one into his home, hand-feeds it and keep it warm by the fire. He will wrap it up with blankets and hold it to his chest so the bummer can hear his heartbeat.

Once the lamb is strong enough, the shepherd will place it back in the field with the rest of the flock. But that sheep never forgets how the shepherd cared for him when his mother rejected him.

When the shepherd calls for the flock, guess who runs to him first? That is right, the bummer sheep. He knows his voice intimately. It is not that the bummer lamb is loved more, it just knows intimately the one who loves it.

So many of us are bummer lambs, rejected and broken. But He is the good Shepherd. He cares for our every need and holds us close to His heart so we can hear His heart beat. We may be broken but we are deeply loved by the Shepherd (John Ch. 10).

From one bummer lamb to another, you are loved. 

good shepherd.jpg

Edited by Eliana
  • Thanks 3

I've had experience with bummer lambs, and yes, when the mother rejects, there's nothing anyone can do to get the mother to accept it. I've had to raise them and yes, they do bond with the 'hand that feeds them'.

I'm currently going through this whole process with an orphaned calf. The mother, from the moment the calf was born, rejected it, kicked it away and ran as far away as possible. The calf just stood there, moments after birth, with the umbilical cord hanging, sopping wet from the amniotic fluid, crying in 15 degree weather.

My son went out into the pasture and scooped the calf up and brought her to the house. I ran up to the store to buy some powdered colostrum because it's critical that newborn 'anything' get that within the first 24 hours. I made up a bottle and had to really work with her to get her to drink as she was dazed from the day's events, disoriented and abandoned. I took a couple of feedings to get her used to the bottle, but once she figured it out, it was a breeze.

Today, I am the most important person in her life. When I walk into her area with bottle in hand, she comes running and there's actually a little disappointment when she finishes the bottle and I walk away, even though her tummy is full. That connection has meaning to her and perhaps is an invisible connection that she intuitively knows contributes to her getting the food that nourishes her being.

One thing I know and can tell you is fact is that over the years, the Lord has used His creation in a variety of ways...from abstract land, sky and vegetation...to the variety of animals we've had over the years...to teach me MANY spiritual principles that have often caused me to ponder and think about the correlation between that particular circumstance, and how it represents me and my walk with Him.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Darlene said:

animals we've had over the years...to teach me MANY spiritual principles that have often caused me to ponder and think about the correlation between that particular circumstance, and how it represents me and my walk with Him.

My dogs teach me so much and different things, even now about my walk with Jesus!

• Like 5