MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Color Coded Pantry

Jeepers

I am really really bad at rotating my stock.  Half the time I forget and the other time I just can't see the small print on the packaging. That's even if I can find the date to begin with. 

I saw a hack someplace where a woman used those little garage sale stickers on her cans and boxes indicating the year they were due to expire.  All one color for one year and the next year a different color. Each year had it's own color. 

You could put a sticker on the front of a can or the top/bottom of the lid. Or if you have everything lined up, you could just put one sticker on the shelf front to signify all of the cans in that row expire a certain year. If you buy the medium size you could even write the day and month on the sticker if you wanted too. 

With colored stickers you would know at a glance when your food is about to expire. 

You can get them at Wal-Mart, office supply stores, Amazon and just about everywhere. 

I wish I knew where I first saw it to give her credit.

Here is a sample from Amazon. I wrote the date on the picture though. 

Amazon.com : PARLAIM 7 Color 3/4 Inch Round Color-Coding Label Stickers, Color Coded Dots for Classroom Office Art DIY--1050PCS : Office Products

Yearly Stickers.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I nailed a knotted string to the pantry doorframe, and put Sharpies on the string.  The Sharpies keep migrating, but sometimes one will return to the string over and over for months. 

• Haha 3
50 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

I nailed a knotted string to the pantry doorframe, and put Sharpies on the string.  The Sharpies keep migrating, but sometimes one will return to the string over and over for months. 

I have to hide my Sharpies in strange places (behind the cans in the pantry or in my underwear drawer). I also have to hide my good scissors! Hubby once borrowed a pair of good gardening shears and used them to cut basecove while remodeling a bathroom in one of our rental units. :tapfoot:

• Sad 3
3 hours ago, themartianchick said:

I have to hide my Sharpies in strange places (behind the cans in the pantry or in my underwear drawer). I also have to hide my good scissors! Hubby once borrowed a pair of good gardening shears and used them to cut basecove while remodeling a bathroom in one of our rental units. :tapfoot:

:blink:

12 hours ago, themartianchick said:

Oh, no! 

I know the feeling. My family used my fabric scissors for cutting paper.

My 7yo is very creative and always " borrows" my writing utensils and craft supplies. I usually let her because, well, I love seeing the things she creates. She is doing some form of art everyday and even has better handwriting than a couple of her older brothers. I've never done any formal handwriting instruction with her. I wish I would've had the same freedom and encouragement when I was young.

Sorry for the rabbit trail! 🐰 🐇 

• Like 5

I love this idea so much that I purchased colored dots at the Five Quarter Tree to implement it. Problem is - those d@mned dots wouldn't seperate from the paper backing without ripping! So, I took some white labels that I had and used marker pens to make my own color coded labels! So far I've coded the tuna and the SPAM. Need to buy some new markers though as these were old and didn't have a lot of "ink" left in them. Oh well, the journey has begun. :D

• Like 2