MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stove Died- Hold my beer!

My 19 year old stove went crazy this morning with the oven stuck in the self-cleaning fires of hell temp range. It wouldn’t turn off and the outside of the stove was dangerously hot. We had to turn off the circuit then my guys used potholders to pull it away from the wall and unplug it. 

This afternoon a couple of my friends from church (who I’ve encouraged to prep) were all concerned that I wouldn’t be able to cook for several days until we replaced the stove. One lady worriedly asked, “Do you have a microwave?”

I assured her we’d be fine. In my head I’m thinking, “Gurl, don’t you know me? Hold my beer! I have multiple ways to cook for grid down. Dealing with a broken stove won’t even break my stride!” :)

Having a preparedness mindset makes it easier to deal with life’s interruptions, don’t you think?

Brand and model recommendations  for an electric stove will be appreciated! :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
33 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Having a preparedness mindset makes it easier to deal with life’s interruptions, don’t you think?

I definitely do.  Used that mindset more than a few times.  Good luck with the stove.  

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Cricket said:

My 19 year old stove went crazy this morning with the oven stuck in the self-cleaning fires of hell temp range. It wouldn’t turn off and the outside of the stove was dangerously hot. We had to turn off the circuit then my guys used potholders to pull it away from the wall and unplug it. 

Brand and model recommendations  for an electric stove will be appreciated! :sSig_thankyou:

I had something like that happen to the stove in my condo several years ago. It scared me because I had exactly ZERO experience with an electric stove. I unplugged it from the wall and allowed it to cool overnight. The next day, it worked fine and has never done it again. Since that time, I don't think that we've stayed in the condo for any lengthy period of time to really test whether or not it was just a fluke. I also don't bake much when we are in residence there. My stove is a GE, circa 1980.

• Like 2

Yikes glad you were awake when that happened and it didn't start a fire! When we were in our first apartment the stove in our apartment was off and then just started smoking so we unplugged it and it really scared me. Hope you can find a replacement you like and won't be without for too long.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Vic303 said:

Any updates Cricket?

Yes! I bought a new Whirlpool stove that has an two dual-sized burners, one that is extra large for canning, and a large capacity oven. A local family-owned appliance store had it in stock and delivered it two days after I placed the order.  Lowes and Home Depot were either out of stock, or had delivery dates so far out I would not have had delivery before this week, plus they charged more for delivery. 

I was relieved to have competent English-speaking delivery men to install the new stove, and remove the old one.

• Like 7
  • 4 weeks later...

I am happy for you to have obtained an acceptable stove in a reasonable time.  In the last year we have had to replace two appliances.  We purchased through a locally owned business that we have used before. The microwave was easy.  They had it in stock and delivered in our time frame.  The refrigerator was promised (by the manufacturer) to be at their warehouse  within 3 weeks.  It didn't happen that way.  They kept us up to date but it took a few months to get the one we really wanted. 

Lessons learned.  IF it isn't in stock, don't expect it to be on time.  Supply issues are more serious than we ever expected.  Note: this all happened before the current problems.  Yes, Covid shutdowns were the main driver, but now I expect it to be even slower. 

Side story:  Last summer I had a Deere go belly up for want of a gear assembly.  Not one was to be had inside the USA.  Deere had one in a warehouse in Germany.  That took over 3 weeks to get to my dealer.  My machine was down for over 5 weeks.  I was rather frustrated and had to rely on other machines to do the work.  Just last week I was at the same dealer.  I overheard a member of staff on the telephone tell a customer " Unless someone has that part in hand no body is going to give you a firm delivery date. "

Again, I am glad you got a new stove. 

• Like 4

Igarden2, I'm afraid that is going to happen to me too. I want to order a freezer to be delivered in another state. I'm only there a week out of a couple of months. I can get a good delivery date but if they don't show up when they say they will, no one will be there to receive the freezer. I'm not depending on anything these days. I can just feel it in my bones that they will keep postponing the delivery date. Thanks for the tip about checking to see if it's in stock first.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The delays are really something glad you found something! Was looking into having a dishwasher and freezer ordered from Lowes and they won't be able to deliver it until August! Going this week to the local appliance place to see what is in stock on the floor and hopefully find one that will fit (the freezer has to go through a rather narrow door so can't be more than 28.5 inches at the narrowest point).

• Like 1