MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

favorite books about homeschooling

What are your favorite books about homeschooling?

My favorites:

1.  Ruth Beechick's books.   After reading 1 or 2, I bought all of these as I soon as I was able to.  I liked that in Rainbow Resource's catalog, they have a section for the Ruth Beechick's books under Methods/Styles, simply "COMMON SENSE".    I always knew we'd homeschool, but wasn't sure how to go about it, how to approach it, how I would manage it.   I knew God called us to do this, but didn't know what to do.   Her writing is good,  the more I read, the more confidence I had that I could do this.  Very practical, very encouraging.

Language and Thinking for Young Children- we've gotten alot of use out of this one.  It's non-consumable so it will be saved.  Even if your younger  child is not being homeschooled, this is a good supplement.

The Three R's-simple and easy directions.   For roughly grades K-3

You CAN Teach Your Child Sucessfully  roughly grades 4-8, but I think it can apply for other years, too

The Language Wars and Other Writings for Homeschoolers-articles the author had written. 

Dr. Beechick's Homeschool Answer Book-set up in a Q&A style;  this book and the book above pack in alot of very good information.  It's broken up well so I could start and stop reading easily. 

A Biblical Home Education:  Building Your Homeschool on the Foundation of God's Word

2.  My other favorite author that I found (was led to) early on is Karen Andreola.  

A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on The Gentle Art of Learning.  There is so much good information here!   Again,  like Ruth Beechick's books,  reading this book made me realize that homeschooling was going to be very doable for me as a mother.  

I also very much like Karen Andreola's other books:

Pocketful of Pinecones and Lessons at Blackberry Inn--these are written as a story for a mother to read.   The main character is a homeschooling mother and these are just such enjoyable reads for me!!   Very encouraging!   They also helped me so see more how homeschooling isn't some separate thing we do,  it is just the natural part of teaching my daughter.  

Mother Culture: For a Happy Homeschool

Supper is almost ready and I'm running short on computer time.   I'll have to come back to this another day.   So the rest of my list won't have much in the lines of explanations.

Anyone Can Homeschool by Nicki Truesdale.  I like that she talks about mamas with health problems CAN homeschool.

Educating the WholeHearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Great selections! I have a box somewhere but it's not unpacked yet to go through my favorite titles most of the books I kept are quite old having been from when I homeschooled the first time so about 20 yrs or so ago. This time around I'm just winging it based on his "grade level" and interests and the required subjects, almost an unschooling approach super relaxed. I'm using more of a Robinson Curriculum approach with Reading, Math and then writing daily (need to do more on this but he uses a workbook right now for Language Arts). The reading we pick a non-fiction science or social studies topic and then supplement with experiments and field trips to see natural history in our local area and hopefully as things open up more go to the historical museums locally. When we were in Oregon we had some super fun trips to the Lewis and Clark Museum around Astoria right before we left and the local art museum when we were in Ashland.

• Like 2