MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bird flu thoughts from an inspector

A friend of ours is a govt inspector and a veterinarian. They have had to kill millions of chickens and eggs this past month on a commercial farm. By the time the inspectors are called, the disease has ravaged the flock. All birds/eggs are disposed of in large pits and then covered. They think, because it's a seasonal flu that follows sporadically with migrating birds and not spread from farm to farm, that the feathers from the migrating birds may be a big culprit. I'm not sure about the droppings.  :sorry:

I've listened to many You-Tubers say that the government is coming in and doing PCR tests on the birds and just destroying them. They point to the faulty PCR tests as the catalysts for destroying healthy birds. In actuality, by the time the inspector is called, there are thousands of dead and dying birds everywhere. They don't need a test to see that the flu has already hit the flock. :gaah:  I hate fear-mongering from those who have NO IDEA how the medical system works on farm animals.  (Sorry, Ice Age Farmer is at the top of my list on this one). I also hate click-bait.  :tapfoot:

All birds are destroyed even though many have no symptoms. Our inspector friend agrees that more testing should be done to isolate variations in immune systems among the birds. The govt is afraid that removing birds from infected farms might spread the disease as many birds may only be carriers, similar to what we were told regarding Covid-19. Everybody get the shot and the virus will go away. My concern is that future chicks may be vaccinated without us knowing what is going into their bodies. What a great way to compromise them and us.  :0327:

Rant over.  :24:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
3 hours ago, Homesteader said:

The govt is afraid that removing birds from infected farms might spread the disease as many birds may only be carriers, similar to what we were told regarding Covid-19. Everybody get the shot and the virus will go away. My concern is that future chicks may be vaccinated without us knowing what is going into their bodies. What a great way to compromise them and us. 

Rant over.  :24:

Actually, you should keep on ranting because you're right...it's getting ridiculous. What is really skerry is how masses follow the latest headline. It reminds me of minnows in the ocean...all going in one direction for whatever reason and then in a split second, instantly change direction and go in another direction.

What they have done to our foods, what they are doing, and what they will do down the road is frightening. I'm trying to do as much as I can independently in a variety of ways so I hope that will buy some time.

One thing I do know is that I refuse to be a minnow.

• Like 3

Just listened to a Youtube video produced by McMurray Hatchery out of Iowa. They are a huge producer of poultry to US buyers. They found a bird that tested positive for bird flu. They have the Iowa authorities helping them sort, separate, and preserve many of the varieties that are not found anywhere else. They said that they want to fulfill the invoices of the bulk buyers, but mentioned that chicks should be available again NEXT YEAR for the average consumer.

I just checked their website and no chicks were available through May. Lots of others like ducks and geese. No wonder I can't find chicks at our local feed mill or implement dealers lately. Not that I want to get back into the business of raising chickens anymore. There aren't enough mouths to feed around here these days.  :hug3:

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3