MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Quilting Guild Fun

Today I did something new, I joined a local quilting guild! They meet monthly in the next town over at a church and have quite the established group. My one crafty friend here invited me to come and I had such a great time. They shared projects they are working on and had 2 demonstrations of techniques for paper piecing and a small project we could all take home. We are also making blocks that will be compiled together into quilts this summer for foster children. It was so fun! In two weeks we are going to take a bus trip to all the surrounding quilt shops and then go out to lunch. It was my first big gathering since COVID happened and it was so lovely to feel that sense of community and normalcy. I have been extra cautious about everything so it was a big leap for me but I'm so glad I went. I am hoping this is a way for me to get to know people in my area as well as dust off my quilting skills and learn some new things. This is the project they shared http://pinwheelponders.blogspot.com/p/paper-pieced-santa-ornament.html  There is no pattern but it would be really easy to recreate with paper and just draw out on your own where the lines go and then outline is really like a tie shape that tapers to a point. You can see an example here as well https://quilttotheedge.blogspot.com/2018/12/santa-ornaments.html

• Like 1

Becca, some of my best friends are quilters.  Amazing things they do, and the outcomes are amazing.  They are always trying to get me to come back.  You see, I did it for a while but hate it.  I don't hate the quilting; I hate how patient and precise it has to be to look nice.  If something can't be done quickly, I'm out of luck.  My mother, I blame her LOL, because she was fast at everything and she'd say, "right or wrong, just get it done".  That's my motto and quilting isn't a just get it done kind of thing.  

I hope you enjoy every minute of it.  My friends love it.  One friend loves the small, I mean like 1", squares.  I can't imagine! :) 

Show us some pictures of your projects.  I love looking at what others do!!!

• Like 2

B_A, wonderful that you have a group. 

I hand sew my quilts.  Sadly, I have 2 in progress, but, time to sit & sew is lacking. Someday, God willing, I will get the time to relax and finish them. 

• Like 2

I love to quilt too but I'll only do hand quilting. Something about doing it the old Amish way appeals to me. I wish I had more time and that my wrist didn't hurt so bad. I like to do wall hangings and lap quilts the best. Quick and easy. Usually in bright gem colors the Amish use in their touristy quilts. I have tons on my bucket list I want to do.

My pride and joy is a pink lap quilt size Double Wedding Ring quilt I  made decades ago. I will admit that an Amish friend of mine helped me with the binding.

I took this picture while visiting in Amish country one summer. There were a lot of women sitting around the frame. They had protective plastic on the end because the quilt was for sale and they wanted to try to keep it clean. Tourists love to touch the fine needle work. 

Hand Of A Quilter

image.jpeg 

• Like 2

I hand quilted all the ones I used to make (baby quilts) but haven't quilted in 11 yrs. I have Ben's still not finished because he was born before I finished it. I will be sticking with small projects for now. The block a month is about my speed. I probably will stick with contributing blocks for now and maybe table runners, pillows, etc but joined more for the company than anything else :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Went on a Quilting Guild Field trip today and bought enough fabric and thread to get started. :wub:Had so much fun checking out the 4 shops we went to. I went with the one friend I've made since I moved here and she was really happy to have a crafting buddy. Met some really nice people. Going to make a Tote bag for myself and some Cloth Containers, and 3 lap quilts with my purchases. Two will be for my nieces and then one for myself for the living room. I just need to buy the batting which I didn't pick up today because it is too bulky to fit in my seat on the bus :happy0203:

Quilt fabric.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely love those colors! I'm glad you had so much fun. I get it. :wub:

I'm on the hunt for some material to make a curtain for my back door. It is also in the great room so it has to look decent. I'm a farmhouse/primitive/rustic kinda girl and it's hard for me to steer away from chickens and cow fabric.  :sEm_blush:

• Like 1

Oh my goodness I've been looking at both gingham and a striped ticking material. Both in black and white. 

Here's the thing, I found some black and white fabric that I really like online. I like black. Odd I know but I matted all of my pictures in black. I have been nosing around that site 10-12 different times, She has my style of fabric etc. I never gave any info of any kind, I just clicked on different pictures of fabric. I was torn between a couple of patterns when all of the sudden, last week, I got a postcard in the mail from them offering free shipping. From me going on the site just looking around to them having my full name and address and actually mailing me at my home. I'm between being angry and being freaked out. So now I don't want to do business with them. It feels a little like an obsessive boy friend. It was just too soon. LOL. So I'm still looking.  BTW the website is Spoonflower.  

I'm going to try to get to Hobby Lobby and Joann's this week.

Here is what I was leaning toward. All in black with a black tie back around the middle. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I like country too, Jeepers, but being IN the country far from a road I have no curtains anywhere except for the bedroom but I have been considering the need for them in a blackout necessity.  You might want to consider that while you are doing them.  Perhaps a double curtain with one being a solid black of heavy material and a white striped one for overtop. Both pulled back but the black one showing as a sort of layered look.  Then you’d have curtains for if things get really bad.  They would also help insulate.  :shrug:

• Thanks 1

I love that fabric Jeepers! Mother's suggestion is a good one, and you can always have the black panels in the cupboard there to put up if you need them, and have lighter curtains if you like a lighter look. We have roller shades upstairs in the bedrooms and I want to add some curtains to dress those windows up and need some in a few rooms that have nothing so I'm on the hunt for fun fabric to make some so I'll check that site out :)