MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Homemade Pie Crusts

Going along with Darlene's posts, how about making your own piecrusts.  I used to make them with Crisco, but Betty (Betty Crocker) taught me how to make them with oil and, all of a sudden, it became so easy.  Using the oil, it can be stirred right into the flour and none of that "cutting it into the flour".  I've had a number of people tell me how good and flaky they are.

When the kids were home, I made 6 at a time.  They always needed something for bake sales or some such.  I made them, put them each in a pie pan, in the freezer and froze.  Once frozen I put a piece of waxed paper between each crust and stacked them in a box back into the freezer until I wanted one.  Mine never lasted that long but I know they'll store for at least 3 months.

With homemade you know there's nothing but flour, oil and water.  I've never checked what's in store bought but I do know it's much cheaper to make your own.

• Like 4

For those of you wondering about my crust, here's the recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook.  I got the book from the mother of a guy I was engaged to.  She gave it to me for Christmas, with the sarcastic comment that if I thought I was going to marry her son I'd better learn to cook.  Fortunately, we never made it to the altar. :knary: However, I should be thankful to her as I've used it, with the man I did marry, for 55 years now.

So, here's the recipe from Betty Crocker (circa 1965).  I made the custard pie after getting home from church this morning.  I timed myself from beginning to putting it in the oven and it took 18 minutes. pie crust recipe.jpgpie crust.jpgpie crust on waxed paper.jpg

Edited by Dee
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Doesn’t that look inviting?  I’ve seen pictures of Dee’s pies before and they are always so beautiful I can almost taste them.    👍

• Like 3

Well, guess what!  It's from the same Betty Crocker cookbook I mentioned earlier.  

It cracked me up reading the top of the page where it says, "Grandmother's pride.....now easy for the bride."  Does that date this book or what? :laughkick:

Anyway, here it is.  I reduced the size, so if you can't read it let me know and I'll put the larger picture up.

custard pie recipe.jpg

• Thanks 2

Dee, that looks like the old, old, book I have.  :thumbs:

Oh, you all don’t want me to pull out my 1900’s cook book…. 

Anyone know what a ‘cake of yeast” is. Lol

Then, again…I might, if I have the time….

• Like 1

Why, yes, I do know what a cake of yeast is.  Can you even buy it any longer?  

BTW,  I love old cookbooks. :happy0203:

• Like 1

Red Star still sells cakes of yeast.  The two-ounce cakes are equivalent to six tablespoons, and the new cubes of yeast are equivalent to an envelope apiece.  The brown jar and a measuring spoon works better for me.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Thanks 1

I use the brown jar of powdered yeast too, Ambergris.  I keep it in the freezer, and it seems to last forever.  

This morning I'm baking a rhubarb/mulberry pie.  We have mulberry trees all over the building site of the farm.  DH hates them because the birds love them and poop pinkish, purple all over the cars, etc.  Every year he cuts down every tree he can find. It's so funny because he can never get them all and I always get plenty to freeze.  

It took me years to learn that you don't need to stem.  The stem softens up while cooking and you never know they're there.  What a great find because now I actually freeze bags of them, where I used to make only jelly since it was strained down to juice only.

So, here's a picture of the mulberries with stems attached.  If you are lucky enough to have mulberries, mainly because there's no work to growing them, give them a try.  I think you'll like them.

mulberry.jpgmulberry.jpg

Edited by Dee
  • Like 4

Oh it's been ages since I've eaten mulberries.  When I was a little girl, many years ago, I went to a Convent Prep School and instead of a playground we used the Nuns garden which was a huge lawn with trees growing on it, in the middle of the lawn was a huge old mulberry tree, which was where I got my taste for mulberries from :D

• Like 3

It is an unforgettable pleasant memory! :happy0203:   We had a white mulberry in our yard when I was young….   They are fairly rare wild in our area but we are fortunate enough to have two. 

White mulberry berries are very pale purple.  They do not stain as much are, to my mind, sweeter, and the birds don’t seem to be attracted to them as much.  They do make a pale pie unless mixed with other fruit.  Unfortunately, ours are pretty far into the timber and hard to get to unless walking. (read that as not wheelchair friendly)  They are also, like so many of our wild fruits, closely guarded by mosquitoes.  Bless grandson though.  He sees we get at least a quart or so once a year.  :D

• Like 2

This is a no-mulberry year.  "Big" tree (about two inches thick in the trunk) died from grape-vine strangling and something else unidentified.  Baby trees just...did nothing.  I'm hoping it's just one of those years and nex year we get a bucketful.

• Sad 3