MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Physically Challenged Hacks

I've been following Dee's Kitchen Hacks and other 'hacks' around the site.  I thought about that word, HACKS.  Years ago hacks were something chopped in a haphazard way and in a way that fits our usage today, We find short CUTS everywhere we can to make life easier.  

I thought we might keep up with the Dee's of the membership and share our own set of hacks for the physically challenged.  Physically challenged can apply to many things including physical, mental or emotional challenges.  Vertically challenged comes under this heading.  Us short people are extremely challenged !!!!!!   

Being in a wheelchair taught me many hacks but it was the injury of my dominant hand that brought me one that could be helpful for a lot of people.  For a long time I was unable to use my hand and washing my almost waist length hair was extremely difficult.  My DH was trying to help me but he only has the full use of one hand and it was difficult.  He couldn't get the shampoo onto my hair in an even way and it took twice as long as I was able to stand at the sink.  That's when I got the idea of putting the shampoo into a spray bottle hoping that would distribute it more evenly. Boy did it ever. 

The spray bottle had to be small enough for DH to work with one hand and the shampoo was too thick to spray well through it so I watered it down.  I watered it by half before it would go through the sprayer but that gave us suds by the tons.  It was the fastest, easiest shampoo I'd ever had.   I experimented a bit with it and found that I could water it down to 2/3 water to 1/3 shampoo and still have a lot of luxuriant suds and my hair not only came very clean but also rinsed quite easily. When that worked so well I tried conditioner and found I could use it in the same way. 

I have since had my hair cut short because I couldn't find a convenient hack to keep it braided but I continue to use the sprayers.  DH also uses a sprayer now to wash his own LONG hair and LONG beard and finds the same great results.  

I even took that a step further.  Because I use Dr. Bonner's liquid soaps that need to be watered down to use, I started putting that in a sprayer as well, more watered down than I would have believed useful.  DH uses bar soap and I found it's really easy to soak that in water and use that liquid in a sprayer and he likes it.  Cuts down on dropping slippery soap in the shower.  This one hack alone has made life so much easier but it has also saved us a LOT of money. 

Now I'm looking forward to hearing about the hacks you use for the physically challenging situations in your life.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

This is very useful for me right now. It is my dominant hand that is broken and everything is very hard. one of the most useful things is talk to text on my phone and computer. it's not perfect but it's good. 

in the shower i use a shampoo with a pump it works well.  .same thing with soap i pump it onto a pouf and use that. i use foaming hand soap to wash my hand.  shower sprayer ftw.  i tend to keep good pump bottles.  a lot of stuff in my house isnt what the bottle says it is.

i keep a tote bag by me to move things from room to room.

Doc laughed at me because my perfect sized arm pillow to keep sling away from body at a good angle is a stuffed animal (pusheen as narwhale cat)

looks like this one GUND PUSHEEN NARWHAL Plush Stuffed Animal 6050631 12" $17.99 - PicClick

• Like 2

You've hit a major one:  I water down shampoo/conditioner.  (I buy them combined because I can't read in the shower).  I also water down dish soap before I set it out. 

I also keep a shower chair in the bathtub.  I bought it the day it took me twenty-some minutes to climb out of the bathtub, and I have been very happy to have it ever since.  (After going through a couple of models.)

I have a subscription to scouring pads that come in a sixpack with a stick.  The stick snaps onto a disposable pad, which is supposed to be whipped around the toilet once and tossed.  (The next pad is for the next cleaning.)  Well, I use the pad for cleaning corners, especially behind the toilet, all around the bathroom.  It works up a huge lather, and the stick is delicate enough to remind me not to put in so much effort that I will cause myself a problem.  Just wiping up the lather removes the gunk, but wiping up all the lather can be a pain.  So I go knock on the door of someone who would never in years (trust me on this--not in YEARS) see gunk behind a toilet or in corners and say, "Hey, do me a favor and go clean up all that blue lather in the big bathroom before it dries.  My back is killing me."  My bathrooms haven't stayed this clean in years.

The cat door in the window saves me from getting up and getting down dozens of times a day.  It opens onto the screen porch.  There's a cat door on the screen porch too, but the cats prefer to open the screen door.  The burglar bar jammed into the frame above the cat door to keep the window from opening any wider makes me feel a tad more secure about this gap.  The cat door cuts down on the kitty litter bill, although they prefer to race inside to poop.

Buying frozen vegetables to dehydrate is something a lot of us do, I guess.  They're already washed, blanched, and cut to uniform sizes/shapes, and they are often cheaper than fresh.

The air fryer, the Instant Pot, and in summer the toaster oven/in winter the slow cooker stay out on the counter next to the mixer and the coffee pot.  Under grease/dust covers behind them are the blender, the mixer, and less-often used appliances.  I can't be digging through cabinets and hauling out gadgets any more.  The creme brulee torch, the electric frying pan, and all those things are on a shelf in another room, and will be given away as soon as anyone mentions a desire for them.

We got rid of the carpets long ago.  Cats and carpets can be a nasty combination.  Small rugs are so much easier to clean, and so much cheaper to replace.  

We have to hire out the mowing, so only a little bit of the yard gets mowed.  In a crisis, the yard guy would lose a job.  The rest of the ground is rewilding or is planted in ground cover.  The yard guy doesn't know the ground cover is edible.

• Like 4

Wow, Ambergris, great ideas.  :sSig_thankyou:   I do most of them too except for the cat thing.  We no longer have inside cats.  I also hadn’t thought of watering down the dish soap. I do use a whole lot less laundry soap than I used to though.

That makes me wonder if I could use the laundry soap in a spray bottle too and spritz areas on the clothes before washing, putting the soap directly on to the clothes before it becomes part of the water.  it would also be a lot lighter to handle a spray bottle than a soap jug. Especially with one weak hand and both hands having RA.  Hmmmmm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been forced to cut down on my showers.  I am  in a wheelchair and now I can't count on hand strength either.  I can't walk but I can still change from chair to chair by hanging on and sliding my feet.  I am careful because I am alone.  It is so frustrating but it is part of aging/health. Now that I finally have some spare time to do my crafts I can't. The pain in my wrists and needles/numbness  in my fingers are awful.  I have tried every type of NSAID for pain relief but nothing seems to work.  I am scared to try the Neurontins.  I understand they are kind of dangerous. Has anyone here tried them?

I have a cheap small cell phone that I wear on a chain around my neck.  That way if I do fall I can hopefully reach it to call for help. 

MY world is getting smaller and smaller. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

I am so sorry to hear that, Momo.  I have most of those same problems but at least have DH still with me.  That offers some physical help but his cognitive issues leave me with most of the mental, financial, and etc.  

I had trouble cutting things so I bought a pair of spring open scissors.  They work but my hand has trouble using them as they are stiff. DH suggested a little lubrication.  Haven’t tried it yet.  

What kind of crafts would you like to do again, Momo?  Perhaps we can get these wonderful innovated members to offer suggestions you can try that might help.  

I forgot to add that my doctor gave me an RX for Voltarin and it seems to work but I am so sensitive I have some side effects from it.  It is an over the counter cream.  I have used Aspircream (the kind with lidocaine not aspirin) and it really helps at least temporarily. I also have a compounded cream formula that works excellently but I also react to it.  The aspircream is my go to. Over the counter easy to get.  But I use it for when I want to work on something special like my small triangle weaving or a small piece of hand seeing.  

Edited by Mother
  • Like 3

Euphrasyne,  great idea with the pumps.  I put a lot of condiments into pump bottles.  Lots easier to handle and to dispense.  

I love the pillow.  I used a heart shaped one for the same thing but I like yours better. :happy0203:

• Like 2

DH takes gabapentin regularly and it helps a lot.  DD18 was on it for a while because she had tics.  It worked for her also. i am pro the neurontins.  side effect vs results are worth it for us.

i have rx voltaren gel and  i like it.  try a lidocane patch. otc 4% rx5%.  i have the rx ones.  i LOVE them, but they do best in larger flatter areas like back and knee.  havent heard of aspirecream.  will have to look it up.

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1

scissors issue is to use fiskars and a rotary quilting blade.  works like a charm.  mine are the scrapbook type but they work on everything.  i will admit to using my quilting blade to cut chicken  the other day.

seriously, once you get an actual titanium fiskars similar to the one below, you will never go back.  i have several pair all over the house.  very easy to squeeze.

Amazon.com : Fiskars 399241-1002 Micro-Tip Pruning Snips, Non-Stick Blades, 2 Count, Orange : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: Fiskars Crafts Rotary Cutter, 60mm Titanium

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1

i forgot to add that my brother has been a GM at a pizza place he's worked at close to 30 years now.  he told me to buy a pizza cutter to cut all things.   not the wheel type, but more like a boat shape.  i havent tried it yet, but he said should solve my kitchen chopping problems.

Amazon.com: 14” Pizza Cutter by KitchenStar | Sharp Stainless Steel Slicer Knife - Rocker Style w Blade Cover | Chop and Slices Perfect Portions + Dishwasher Safe – Premium Pizza Oven Accessories : Everything Else

• Like 1

of course, I spelled Aspercreme wrong.  Those Friskar scissors are just what I need.  I got three ‘snipers’ at an Amish store years and years ago and they are perfect for snipping threads and even cutting herbs but they are starting to get old.  

I’ve seen the rocker type pizza cutters but hadn’t thought of them for other things. 👍

DB852938-D6A1-4CEF-B275-80AE44EEEEF0.jpeg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Ambergris said:

The air fryer, the Instant Pot, and in summer the toaster oven/in winter the slow cooker stay out on the counter next to the mixer and the coffee pot.  Under grease/dust covers behind them are the blender, the mixer, and less-often used appliances.  I can't be digging through cabinets and hauling out gadgets any more.  The creme brulee torch, the electric frying pan, and all those things are on a shelf in another room, and will be given away as soon as anyone mentions a desire for them.

What every kitchen needs! :whistling:

May be an image of cat, indoor and text that says 'How neat! All the small kitchen appliances together, including a toaster and a blender and even shredder! 6лaK WOuS'

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Good ideas.  I have osteoarthritis in my hands. Right one that I use is really bad and need to have knuckle replacement. I use blue emu and the anthric gloves that are fingerless and puts some pressure on hands that helps with swelling and pain. Sometimes I have to use Advil. But mostly take an old sock that I put rice in, tie it off and put in microwave for a minute to warm up. Works great. That idea was from the Phy. therapist. I use the pump bottles as the spray bottles are hard for me to squeeze the Trigger. My shower is a stand-up shower and now has a seat built in though I do have the handicap seat from DH. Holding on to that stuff. I have those scissors and they are very helpful. I also have the pizza cutter and rotary cutter. I can use those so much easier. My hair is long almost to waist. I can no longer braid it so just put in ponytail. So far, I haven't had any issues doing my hair other than can't do braiding any longer. I have a mop that I use for cleaning floors that you squeeze out the excess water. So, I have a ringer for that. Works great as I cannot twist and squeeze the water out. Changing the inside bedroom and bathroom doors to not the usual round doorknobs but the ones that you just push down, and it opens door. I can open door with my elbow if needed. Still have some other doors to change out to those type of handles. They are for anthric hands. I have every kind of way to open bottles and pop top lids you can think of. 

• Like 4

Euphrasyne. I have the Rx Voltaren too. It helps my DIL more than it does me. I feel the same way about neurontins and some other Rx drugs. If I was younger I probably wouldn't go on them. But at my age and the time I have left, I think the chance I would take with them would be worth the relief I'd get from them. I've held off for 70 years from getting pain reliefs, except for Advil, but I'm getting ready to ask for help. I've only held off this long because I don't want to build up a tolerance too fast now for future use. 

I use a rotary cutter for all of my fabric cutting. I use the big blades for long cuts and a small blade for fussy cuts. I also have some blades that will make waves and pinking type edges like these.  AmazonSmile: AUTOTOOLHOME 45mm Rotary Cutter Set with 9 Pack Replacement Rotary Blades Skip Rotary Blades Pinking Rotary Blades for Sewing Fabric Leather Quilting Cutter Paper Perforating Tool

Mother. I have a pair of nippers too that I use for cutting threads. Sure beats one of those little seam rippers. I also got my waste long hair cut. I couldn't believe how much less shampoo I use now! And sometimes I don't even blow it dry. Just run my fingers through it when I'm sitting outside in the summer. I have thick hair. 

Ambergris, I use frozen veggies to dehydrate too. So far they have been cheap and plentiful. I used to think that maybe it was cheating. But I finally faced the fact that I'm never going to be able to grow as many veggies as I want, even if I had the strength and space to do it. Now I'm filling my jars and I'm darn proud of them too. If someone turns up their nose at my frozen dried vegetables then they can go without. 

One side of my lower kitchen cabinets are drawers. The pull out kind. The top one isn't as deep and I have eating utensils in it. Knives, spoons forks etc. The bottom two are pretty deep and I keep my dishes in them. Things like plates, saucers and bowls. It's right next to the dishwasher and I can unload it and put the dishes away without hardly moving. But what I really like is I don't have to reach up on my tippy-toes to get a dish from the upper cabinet. I store overflow cups up there. I really like having the dishes right beside me. I wouldn't have thought of that if the house didn't already have them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jeepers, I like the idea of plates and such being down low.  Almost everything I use often is at wheelchair height.  We don’t have a dishwasher but do have two stoves and two sinks.  The electric stove and a smaller sink are at wheelchair level, the gas stove and regular sink are standard.  If I am up to standing I use the standard but normally that is DH’s domain.  He also washes the larger pans and such.  Adapting the kitchen to my needs was the best thing we could have done as it makes it possible for me to continue with some of the things I’ve always done. 

These ideas are great.  Please keep them coming. 

• Like 2

I couldn't handle neurontin/gabapentin.  It made me a zombie.  But I know people who do fine with it.  You should try to have people around you the first few days you are on it, if at all possible.

• Like 4

Gabapentin makes me have no balance, even in the specially compounded cream I got.  Bad thing about that was, it really helped the pain….  :(

Edited by Mother
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I have trouble with grip/ hand strength. My hack is putting rubber bands around bottles to help me hold on to them. It’s especially helpful with shampoo and conditioner bottles that might be wet. 

In 2016 I fell and broke my ankle in our attached garage. My husband is hard of hearing and couldn’t hear me calling for help. I had to crawl up the step into the house until I was in where he could hear me yelling for him. After that I got an Apple Watch and enabled the fall detector, in case I fell and couldn’t call for help. I can also use it to make calls like Dick Tracy!

The watch can also monitor heart rate and take an EKG. That came in handy when I was having long bouts of arrhythmias and could capture them on EKG and bring printouts to my cardiologist.

Still wearing the same watch, I fell outside in August, breaking my left shoulder. I managed to sit up, leaning against the house amongst the azalea bushes like a garden gnome. I used voice commands to the watch to tell Siri to call our home phone.  DH answered and I could tell him to come out and help me.  

I never go outside or to the garage without my watch on. I take my phone in the bathroom with me when I shower. There nothing worse than being hurt and unable to get help. 

• Like 5

Great suggestions, Cricket.  I have our portable phone with me continually inside the house or anywhere close as it has a long range and an intercom mode.  I like the Apple watch idea though.   That would be much more convenient.  👍

• Like 2

I was cleaning out the kitchen cabinets Friday and the lock on the foot stool broke. So, the steps tilted, and I took a fall. Didn't break anything, and the carpenters heard me and came running. My back on left side is badly bruised from hitting the knob on the bottom cabinet door. But This to will pass. One of the carpenters helped me up and he finished getting the dishes out of the cabinet for me.  I was so thankful for the help. Neighbor got the stool fixed so that won't happen again but now I won't be able to fold it up to put away. But that is fine. I can just set in garage open when not needed. Grandson will be here to help me bring it in when I need it and take it back out when not needed. At least till he gets a job and only here before and after work. He is already making plans for the small bedroom pantry. I really think he will be a great help for me. 

Been using the blu imu ointment on hands and using my glove for the support. It has been giving me a fit lately.  I won't use those RX's either. Just Advil for the swelling if the ice doesn't take it all down. 

As I was cleaning out the cabinets, I thought about the issues a lot of you are having. And with Mother not being able to get dishes from upper cabinets. So, I have moved all dishes, and bowls down to lower shelves where it would be easier for me to get to without climbing up on a stool to reach things. Putting food in the upper cabinets where I can use one of those grabbers to get what I need down. At my age easier is better. Not getting any younger.

• Like 3

I know that gabapentin can cause troubles but when you get older you have to weigh the risk/reward differently.  I know I have some of them leftover around here.  A friend of mine gave me a sample of Voltare when it first came out.  He swore by it but it didn't do a thing for me. I am in a wheelchair too and I try to keep everything handy but my countertops look awful.  They are just covered with canned goods etc.  I have those grabbers all over but I don't like to put things where I have to reach up.

• Like 4

Momo, My countertop is constantly full but then so is the one my DH mostly uses and I don’t put things on that so I have come to the conclusion that it is not our fault.  It’s just the nature of countertops, being a flat space, to have a basic need to be full! :laughkick:.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When we go through any drive through, we ask for extra napkins.  People we know ask for us, as kind of "she's funny that way."

Dishes are first cleaned with a good wipe of a paper napkin, or a few of them.  This goes very far in reducing the effort of washing dishes, whether they go in the sink or the dishwasher.  Paper towels work, but they cost money.

• Like 4

I save all of my napkins too. I also save my sauces. I have noticed that the ketchup packs don't last nearly as long as they used to. I used to keep them a couple of months but now they swell up like they are bloated after a few weeks. I'm afraid to use them in that condition.

Probably sat too long in those blasted cargo containers I'm always harping about.  :24:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1