MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Is this you???

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

Books are a post-apocalyptic necessity, yes?

I’ve also accumulated multiples of reading glasses in different strengths. Years ago I was traumatized by a Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith.  

I remember that episode. Little old man sitting on a pile of rubble with broken glasses. I bought all different strengths from the Dollar Tree. And I'm very near sighted. :wacko:

• Like 3

I've never forgotten that episode either, ladies.  I too have multiple pairs of readers, of all strengths, from the Dollar Tree. I don't want to be caught like him. The poor man! 

I've always thought they would be great bartering items too! 

Edited by Dee
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I remember that episode. Little old man sitting on a pile of rubble with broken glasses. I bought all different strengths from the Dollar Tree. And I'm very near sighted. :wacko:

That is my favorite episode! It is called, Time Enough At Last.

That was always my worst case scenario. When my sister lost her sight, I felt that it was the cruelest of punishments because we were raised to be lifelong readers. I have a few pairs of readers tucked away. Hubby recently had Lasik surgery, but still uses low-level readers. I began wearing reading glasses a few years ago. We also have saved every pair of glasses that we've had in recent years. Even old glasses are better than no glasses.

• Like 2

My husband had Lasik as well.  One of the kids asked why he was getting it.  I held up my hand about a foot from her face and asked her if she could count my fingers without her glasses on.  She said yes.  I told her that he could barely see that my hand was there - he's legally blind without correction.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, themartianchick said:

That is my favorite episode! It is called, Time Enough At Last.

That was always my worst case scenario. When my sister lost her sight, I felt that it was the cruelest of punishments because we were raised to be lifelong readers. I have a few pairs of readers tucked away. Hubby recently had Lasik surgery, but still uses low-level readers. I began wearing reading glasses a few years ago. We also have saved every pair of glasses that we've had in recent years. Even old glasses are better than no glasses.

My eye doctor rolls his eyes at me for having all my old glasses.  But old glasses are better than no glasses.  And sometimes they're better than the new ones.

• Like 1

I was one of the first people to have the vision correction surgeries in the country. I was ready to go to Canada because they were doing it before we were. I was my eye doctors second patient. That's how desperate I was to get it done. There were only two doctors doing it in the state of Ohio and one was a few miles from my house. Since I was sort of an experiment, I got excellent care. Doctor even gave me his home phone number. They didn't call it laser or Lasik back then. I think it was something like refractive eye surgery. They would only do one eye at a time incase of...oops. I remember it cost $2,000.00. Per eye! I'm back in glasses and I need it done again. It doesn't wear off but your eyes continue the aging process. That procedure and braces on my teeth when I was in my 40's, were the best things I ever did for myself.  

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Cricket said:

I’ve also accumulated multiples of reading glasses in different strengths. Years ago I was traumatized by a Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith.  

I think that episode scared everybody!

• Like 2