MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making jellies with flowers

I have made dandelion jelly and rosehip jelly but that's all the flowers I've ever used.  Buttercup mentioned she's made peony jelly and that Pinterest has all kinds of flowers to use for making jelly.  

I haven't checked it out yet but I'm going to.  With all the flowers, wild or otherwise, around it would be fun to try this or that.  I've also made dandelion bread.  Can you make other breads with flowers?  This could be fun!

Never try a flower or any kind of plant unless you know it's safe.  There are too many good things out there to ever chance something that might be bad.

If you try it let us know.  I can hardly wait!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dee said:

I have made dandelion jelly and rosehip jelly but that's all the flowers I've ever used.  Buttercup mentioned she's made peony jelly and that Pinterest has all kinds of flowers to use for making jelly.  

I haven't checked it out yet but I'm going to.  With all the flowers, wild or otherwise, around it would be fun to try this or that.  I've also made dandelion bread.  Can you make other breads with flowers?  This could be fun!

Never try a flower or any kind of plant unless you know it's safe.  There are too many good things out there to ever chance something that might be bad.

If you try it let us know.  I can hardly wait!

I'm trying to get some redbud 🌸 blossoms so I can try it. And maybe lilac! 

• Like 1

I have made many flower jellies over the years but none recently as we use very little sugar.  Violets and Johnny Jump Ups make a nice one but are almost too bland or delicate tasting to use by themselves. I like Bee Balm jelly but didn’t care for lavender.  Nasturtium makes a nice spicy jelly that goes great with meat.  

oh, now I want to buy sugar.  😁

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So far this year I've made Violet and Redbud jellies. I have dandelion tea brewing now. The violet doesn't have much taste, nor did it set. So it will be syrup in lemonade or on pancakes.

• Like 1

Good to know about the violet jelly.  How did the redbud turn out?  Was it tastier?  Are either as colorful as they sound?  We don't have anything ready to do anything with but I'm hoping it will soon be time.

I was just outside and we literally have carpets of violets in our yard.  Blue, purple, pale blue, and white. The yellow ones aren’t blooming yet.   The horrible part is that neither DH nor I am able to get down to their level and pick them.  :sad-smiley-012: Where are the little grands when I need them:shrug:.  

They've grown up and have lives of their own.  I'll get grandson to rototill for me soon but that's about all I'll get out of him/them.  With school, ballgames and other things they're busy and not around much. Oh, how I miss those little grands but they're growing up like they're supposed to. 

• Like 1