MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cholesterol & Stantins

I thought this might be interesting info for those with cholesterol issues or on statins.  

DH has had major trouble with some of the med he was given in the hospital.  He did a plethora of research and sent me this article.  

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/modern-diseases/dangers-of-statin-drugs-what-you-havent-been-told-about-popular-cholesterol-lowering-medicines/

• Thanks 3

DH just stopped taking statin drug in Feb.  Thankfully, only about a year and a half???  I took the time to read this whole long article....and it IS quite long.

I'm steaming.  This is not a well-researched drug.  It is not a well-researched topic...cholesterol.  And yikes....who can we trust to have done solid research?  Our docs can't possible keep up with all these studies.  Even if they're a 'Marcus Welby' with good intentions.  They'd also have to be a Sherlock Holms to get to the bottom of the mystery and crimes that are prevalent in pharma these days.  :gaah:  Conflict of Interest is all over ...in everything.  Money talks...loudly.

And this sort of thing can keep many folks from trying a medication that really would be great for them.

OTOH...three wks of watching TV at my mom's.....the pharma commercials are so inappropriate.  "Ask your doctor  :hapydancsmil:  if  {fill in the blank} is right for you!"   :animal0017:   

MtRider  .....be careful out there, friends.  It's get more dangerous .... 

Edited by Mt_Rider
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have been on cholesterol lowering meds for decades and still could not get my good cholesterol up to where it should be.  Bad cholesaterol went down some, but not much.  UNTIL.........I started eating one clove raw garlic daily before breakfast (empty stomach).  My last checkup my doc was delighted - ALL my cholesterol was exactly where it should be, good, bad and the balance were all normal. (It was the first time in arouind 30 years.)

She did not say much when i told her I had started eating garlic, but she sure liked the results.  Jest saying. 

I slice a peeled clove up very thin, lay on a buttered saltine cracker or two, and munch away.  Maximum allicin levels occur if you slice fine or chop and let it sit 10 min to develop maximum allicin, then eat it, before the levels start dropping.  The fat in the butter (or peanut butter) help tame down the heat until you get used to the bite of raw garlic.  No vampires have bothered me since, either, LOL.

There is also some info on the web about "garlic water" which has health benefits too, and no garlic breath, but it is not as good at normalizing cholesterol.    

Im sold on the garlic.  Im planting it in the garden this year so I can always have a good supply.  I don't know if my doc is open to trying to get rid of the cholesterols meds - yet - but I will bne asking her you can bet.  The fewer meds the better.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 12:03 AM, kappydell said:

I don't know if my doc is open to trying to get rid of the cholesterols meds - yet - but I will bne asking her you can bet.  The fewer meds the better.

Maybe she will agree to decrease the amount of the cholesterol drug in the interim and continue regular blood testing.

• Like 1

He had to quit them completely.  Every time he’d take a half, it would give him a cluster of SVT ‘s. Not good.  He goes back to the doc in a week and a half.  We’ll discuss it..

• Thanks 1
On 5/13/2022 at 4:24 PM, Homesteader said:

Maybe she will agree to decrease the amount of the cholesterol drug in the interim and continue regular blood testing.

I did not ask her to drop the meds - yet - but just told her I was thinking about adding 1 clove garlic a day to my menu to see if it wouild help my cholesterol.  I asked if it would hurt & she said it would not. ( From what I have found on the research sites, the only time garlic harmed someone was when they were taking the capsules, and quite a few of them.  No reactions reported on a single clove of garlic a day but some stomach issues were reported when 3X a day or more.)  

• Thanks 2