MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

We are getting into Geometry (shapes and angles at 4th grade level) and my son seems to be struggling a bit. Has anyone used any manipulatives they like for this? I'm currently cutting out shapes in paper to explain some concepts like lines of symmetry but thought if anyone had some products or tools that helped their kids with this that would be helpful. He seems be be very much a hands on learner.

• Like 3

Our son and GS were both hands on learners.  I had them build the shapes.  We used clay, cardboard, left over pieces of wood from construction projects and etc.  I also had ‘Treasure Hunts’ where they had to find the shapes in common objects. There is nothing like getting them to ‘see’ the reasons for their lessons.   Of course there were prizes.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I actually had a thought yesterday that toothpics and styrofoam balls might let us "build angles" so he can see how the arms can be adjusted to change the angle, or use a ruler with a brad connecting them to change the angle and then we can measure with the protractor. And tracing paper to trace the shape and then fold in half to see the symmetry. I am thinking Math U See might be a good fit for him.

• Like 1

Great thoughts.  Let us know how it works!  

• 2 weeks later...

They are currently measuring the angle of my wrist and elbow at occupational therapy.   My kids found this fascinating.  

• Like 1