MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

We blanched and froze yellow summer squash once.    After freezing, it was sort of soggyish and lost all of the crispness.

Dehydrating after blanching?   Down on the 4th page here it gives some info on dehydrating:  https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/dry/csu_dry_vegetables.pdf 

I checked UGA's site https://nchfp.uga.edu/  (their So Easy to Preserve book was one of the few Violet-approved canning books, so I would think their site is ok).  

Here's what they say about canning:  https://nchfp.uga.edu/questions/FAQ_canning.html#24

Why is canning summer squash or zucchini not recommended?
Recommendations for canning summer squashes, including zucchini, that appeared in former editions of So Easy to Preserve or USDA bulletins have been withdrawn due to uncertainty about the determination of processing times. Squashes are low-acid vegetables and require pressure canning for a known period of time that will destroy the bacteria that cause botulism. Documentation for the previous processing times cannot be found, and reports that are available do not support the old process. Slices or cubes of cooked summer squash will get quite soft and pack tightly into the jars. The amount of squash filled into a jar will affect the heating pattern in that jar. It is best to freeze summer squashes or pickle them for canning, but they may also be dried.

• Thanks 2
On 5/7/2022 at 4:14 PM, Darlene said:

Is there any way to preserve zucchini or yellow squash?

I've been shredding our zucchini and freezing it for the last couple of years. I then use it for chocolate chocolate chip zucchini muffins, and it's worked just fine. So nice to have them in the middle of winter knowing they came from our garden! That said, that's the ONLY way we've used them, so I don't know what they would be like if used some other way.

I haven’t canned much beyond meat for several years but I used to can zucchini and summer squash in a mixture along with tomatoes, onions, and peppers.  The key safety feature is the acidity and liquidity of the mixture.  I used lemon juice to bring acidity up and pressure canned it.  I haven’t checked if this is considered ‘safe’ now but cannot see why it would be any different than canning soup.  We especially like this with pasta and in casseroles or even the old fashioned way with bread or croutons crumbled into it. 

I've shredded and frozen zucchini for years.  It's very nutritional and doesn't flavor anything so it's good to put in many desserts and breads/muffins as Joyfilled mentioned.  I also use it as filler in meatloaf, meatballs, etc.  

Another thing is to make bread to freeze for pulling out of the freezer for a treat during the winter.

Last year I had more squash than you could shake a stick at.  I baked it, put it through the food processor and froze it in 2 cups servings.  I did 25 containers, and they are almost gone.  To thaw I put a container in the fridge for a day or so and then warm it in the microwave.  A little salt, brown sugar and butter and it's delicious.  I'm sure you could also thaw in the microwave.

• Like 2