MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whetstone Sharpening - what went wrong?

Hi all--

Let me first say, I've read a TON and watched many videos before attempting my first sharpening. I thought I had it all figured out, but something went awry. Hoping you might be able to shed some light on my little issue.

Before taking my Shun knives to the Shun (1000/6000) stones, I bought a crappy $6 santoku from Target to practice on. Stones soaked, did my best to maintain the angle, sharpened each side for ~4 minutes on #1000 stone, and this thing was just as dull as before I started.

Ugh.

So... either I wasn't applying enough pressure (about 2-4lbs), didn't do it long enough on 1000 stone, or this knife is too crappy to be sharpening on a stone (packaging said it was high carbon steel). In the numerous videos I watched whetstone cutlery review, chips were remedied with #1000, so I thought this was more than fine for a new blade.

One other thought is that I didn't feel a burr after completing the one side. Not sure if that's an indicator of anything.

Should I use a "proper" kitchen knife that is dull, or was the cheap-o santoku not tahe culprit?

thanks, all!!

Hi I am Homey's hubby (a tool and dye maker, machinist) -

I watched the video you referenced and found it to be very informative. Sometimes the Youtube videos can lead you astray, but not this one.

I use 3 different grits of diamond with water. 325, 600, and 1200. I also just measured the pressure I use and found it to be about 4 Lbs. I also use alternating strokes with one pass per side when nearing a sharp condition. It takes time, be patient.

It's harder to get a sharp edge on cheap steel.

• Thanks 2