MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Formula for Babies

Has anyone asked their pediatrician for a home-made formula recipe? I'd try that before this recipe. I'm also a proponent of pasteurization for milk intended for children. This recipe looks a little over the top to me. 

Funny that she mentions "pet milk." The Pet Milk that was the baby formula recipe in the 50s is a brand name of canned condensed milk. 

Here is a good article with the old recipe, and common-sense cautions. 

Of course, mother's breast milk is best for babies, especially newborns.  

48 minutes ago, Darlene said:

Here’s an article of a family who has been making homemade formula for a while. They got their recipe from the Weston Price foundation. 

https://drjockers.com/homemade-baby-formula/

I think it’s the same formula.  Both from the WPF.  Cricket - I quit asking doctors things about nutrition.  They generally have enough training to prevent rickets, and that’s about it.  There are some who do extra training on their own, but practically none is required to earn their MD.

• Like 2

I agree, Joyfilled.  Our grandson did great on it when he couldn’t handle formula.  Admittedly he was also nursed when his Mom was not working and at night but he avidly drank it from only a few weeks on with no problems and we had two friends get goats milk from me when they couldn’t nurse their newborns.  Their doctors advised against it but told them to at least pasteurize it but I don’t believe they did that even after the first couple weeks. I will say that my goats were extremely healthy and I was meticulous in my sanitation.  

You can buy canned and powdered goat’s milk both. I’ve seen it in the grocery stores but haven’t looked recently so it may be scarce as well. 

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at the formula. IF you think you will ever need to make this, get the ingredients now as many of them look like they would be hard to come by!  If you want to source from where she does, click this link  as the ingredients there are linked to where to purchase them.

(this is the link to the website that Darlene posted)

Ingredients*:

*This recipe has been adapted from the Weston A Price Foundation.

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1

This looks intriguing: https://goatmilkformula.com

This recipe was created by Joe Stout a graduate of both Washington State University and the University of Bridgeport. Joe has both a bachelors of science and masters of science in human nutrition and he has gone to great lengths to ensure that this homemade formula recipe is fully in compliance with the baby formula nutrient requirements of the 1980 Infant Formula Act. 

• Thanks 1

The more I hear people the happier I am that I rarely leave my house.  So many women are just sticking up their nose and saying ....join a local for profit breastmilk selling group and get some for your child....  Hospital milk banks are inaccessible for most infants except for those who are very high risk.  I have to say that I would probably give cow, goat, powdered or whatever before I gave e-bay-esque breast milk to my kid.  I am so glad we are on solids for the youngest.  

I am all about a wet nurse who is someone you know and have interviewed.   I am sincerely against random food in this day and age of medical issues and better living through chemistry.   People are seriously losing their minds over this.  I am so glad that being prepared means learning alternative methods in addition to stocking.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The time before last, I went to WM, the boy asked me to get him some for little Missy. 3 cans cost me over $100.00. I left 3 on the shelf, sign said 5 per day per person.  Last time through, all that was left were some small cans of Similac. Empty shelves all around.

• Sad 6

DD 18months is on solids and whole fat powdered milk now.  She still likes to take 1 bottle (powdered milk room temp freshly made up) a day in the evening after dinner.   I'm so thankful.  We tried every version of similac and enfamil when it became apparent my milk was not going to fully come in.   Baby did NOT like any of it.  We finally found peace on the off brand that is Kroger/BJs.  Its the same package even just with a different print.   Orange top 'sensitive stomach.'  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Annarchy said:

The time before last, I went to WM, the boy asked me to get him some for little Missy. 3 cans cost me over $100.00. I left 3 on the shelf, sign said 5 per day per person.  Last time through, all that was left were some small cans of Similac. Empty shelves all around.

Wow! I just did some sums and those tins of formula (if they are the a similar size 28-32oz) are more than twice the price! an 800g tin of formula here is £12.50 ($15.60) give or take a bit for brand difference. 

It breaks my heart that stores can see fit to price gauge formula. That's really low. 

I'd happily send over formula if needed.

• Like 1

It's nice to see other countries coming to the U.S. aid for baby formula. It's about time. That was not said sarcastically! It's just been so long that we have been out food for our babies. Who'd a thought America would need humanitarian aid?!  

First batch of infant formula headed to US from Switzerland as at least one hospital reported treating babies fed homemade and diluted formulas

The first batch of baby formula is being imported to the US from Switzerland as part of President Joe Biden's "Operation Fly Formula," which was launched to address the ongoing national shortage.

The White House on Thursday announced a batch of Nestlé S.A. formula would be transported from Zurich, Switzerland, to Plainfield, Indiana, by commercial aircrafts contracted by the Department of Defense.

Hypoallergenic formulas intended for babies with dairy milk allergies are being prioritized "because they serve a critical medical purpose and are in short supply in the United States because of the Abbott Sturgis plant closure," the statement said.

Operation Fly Formula was announced Wednesday and allows the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Agriculture to use military resources to pick up baby formula from overseas.

The operation is part of a series of measures taken by the Biden administration to address the infant formula shortage as empty shelves have left parents across America scrambling to find food for their babies.

Insider's Anna Medaris reported Wednesday that an emergency room in Texas has been treating babies whose parents fed them homemade or watered-down formula, putting the infants at risk for life-threatening seizures.  

US to Get First Batch of Baby Formula From Switzerland Amid Shortage (businessinsider.com) 

Nestlé Ships Baby Formula From Switzerland, Netherlands Amid US Shortages

Swiss food giant Nestlé is to fly baby formula from Switzerland and the Netherlands to the United States amid shortages there, a group spokeswoman said Tuesday.

The Swiss group will specifically import two brands of hypoallergenic milk, as the shortage has become an additional source of stress for parents of babies intolerant of cow's milk protein.

"We prioritized these products because they serve a critical medical purpose," the spokeswoman told AFP, confirming a press report.

The two brands are already imported: Gerber Good Start Extensive HA milk from the Netherlands, and Alfamino milk from Switzerland.

Faced with the shortage, Nestlé decided to airlift the milk "to help fill immediate needs," said the group, which also has two factories in the United States producing infant formula.

Initially caused by supply chain problems and a shortage of workers due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the formula shortage worsened in February when an Abbott factory in Michigan closed after a recall of products suspected of causing the deaths of two babies.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration released the milk but issued a "483" form alleging irregularities at the plant, Abbott said Friday, adding that it "immediately" began implementing corrective measures.

On Monday, Abbott reached an agreement with U.S. authorities to restart production at the plant.

The White House is in constant contact with the four major manufacturers — Nestlé, Reckitt, Abbott and Perrigo — to identify transportation, logistics and supplier barriers to increasing production.

Nestlé Ships Baby Formula From Switzerland, Netherlands Amid US Shortages (voanews.com)

• Like 1